FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adjust Volume Before Login in Linux

leontius
It seems that I cannot adjust the system volume when I am not logged in in Linux (using Ubuntu). Sometimes I come to a library and I want to turn on my laptop, but it is very embarrassing when it generates very loud sound during startup. I still want to have a login sound however in non-quiet areas. The problem can be easily solved if I can adjust the volume before login, but how can I do that?
Diablosblizz
Your laptop should have volume adjustment button(s) on (or above) your keyboard. This doesn't control the Sound in the Operating System, but controls the amount of sound put out through the computer's speakers. Once the login is completed (or your out of a quiet area) you can re-enable the volume again.

Now, if you don't have one - in which you should, you may be able to fix it by holding the speaker "hole" on your laptop.

The first idea would work perfectly.
AftershockVibe
I know that the volume controls on my laptop work directly through the OS so the volume controls won't help if his has a similar setup.

It is possible to change the volume if you know what sound chipset you're using. Technically it's not "before login" because you do login, but only to the terminal. Example:
- Hit ALT+SHIFT+F7 at the graphical login screen
- This will bring up a text login terminal.
- Login as normal
- Run the sound mixer for your hardware. For me this is a program called "alsamixer" since mine is based on an alsa chip.
- Logout (or not).
- Hit ALT+SHIFT+F1 to go bad to the graphical login screen.

However, the easiest way around your problem is to disable Ubuntu's startup noise!
Cool
Diablosblizz
AftershockVibe wrote:
However, the easiest way around your problem is to disable Ubuntu's startup noise! Cool

Wow, that totally slipped my mind. That's a great idea, the login noise can be pretty annoying anyways.