FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Environmental Problem

Should nitrogen powered cars be released to the world? (Or any non-gas car?)
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 12 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

mariomaster
This is a very serious problem.
It's called Global Warming.

Anyways, I think that nitrogen powered cars should be released in the world. People could pack cool features into these cars that would make em switch over. This way, we could fight it.

Do you agree with me?
reb00table
I'd say electric cars are the best alternative. Specially the Tesla Roadster (search on youtube) is the best one for the streets. I bet it can beat a Ferrari Very Happy.
ocalhoun
Exactly how do you power a car with nitrogen?
Bikerman
Well, in a similar manner to a steam engine.
http://www.aa.washington.edu/AERP/CRYOCAR/CryoCar.htm

I've not seen any commercially viable plans for this type of technology and, to be honest, it strikes me as a bit half-baked.
ocalhoun
^Okay, looking at the link it makes a little sense, but what is the advantage over compressed air power, which would be cheaper?
Bikerman
I suspect that the major difference is the fact that in this model Nitrogen is liquefied as opposed to just being compressed (probably by a combination of cooling and compression).
You could do the same thing to normal air but then you would get different elements 'boiling out' at different temperatures which would be inconvenient.
c'tair
Maybe instead we should kinda change the culture behind pollution? A lot of people pollute because it's easy, or even fun. They'd rather drive to work than take a 15-20 minute walk or bike ride.

Bikes, they're f awesome, but the streets and buildings aren't made to suite them. I can't bike my way to school because I have no place to leave the bike, so I just walk. Taking a bus would save me 5 minutes. But I'd rather take a nice walk before school than be jammed in a bus with a load of old people.
mariomaster
Exactly,

There is a pollution problem, and if you are still lazy to go 2 work in a car rather than a 15 minute walk, at least you are not paying for VERY expensive gas and you are helping the environment at the same time. Kind of like EBikes. They go at the same speed as a regular motorcycle, but are electric instead of gas-powered.

Just another reason to go green Laughing
ocalhoun
c'tair wrote:
They'd rather drive to work than take a 15-20 minute walk or bike ride.

True, but you also have the ones who would rather drive than take the 6 hour walk...
Also, that limits you to taking with you only what you can carry. No buying furniture or large amounts of groceries.
Yes, some people are just lazy, but for most giving up the car would be extremely impractical.

Also, who's going to vote 'no' on the poll? And why?
Bikerman
The poll does seem rather redundant. The technology is already in the public domain (see my previous link).
Ankhanu
c'tair wrote:
Maybe instead we should kinda change the culture behind pollution? A lot of people pollute because it's easy, or even fun. They'd rather drive to work than take a 15-20 minute walk or bike ride.

And here we have the real winner in the debate. While, yeah, we do need better fuels for transport that will reduce pollution (we have to be careful not to simply create a new problem pollution), we mainly need to change outlook and our culture of convenience. We will still need vehicles to transport goods and travel long distances, the western car culture, in which everyone needs a car and we loathe the thought of walking for 10minutes, seems to think we're entitled to our conveniences; and is a major problem.

While liquid nitrogen power might be a viable power source; I'm not sure it'll be so effective at combating emissions. While the car itself doesn't produce greenhouse gasses, where is the power coming from to supply the liquid nitrogen? Obviously there are still issues with the concept/technology; I'm not sure it's really the way to go, but it might be better than petrol.
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:

where is the power coming from to supply the liquid nitrogen?

The electrical grid, which is far more efficient and produces far less emissions per energy than car engines.
Some electricity comes from clean sources, and even coal, gas, or oil burning plants have much better emissions filters than cars do, and they run more efficiently, making more power for burning the same amount of fuel. (Though that increased efficiency is probably negated by the increased number of inefficient transmissions of power between the burning and your car's wheels. Instead of burning->mechanical movement-> wheels you have burning->mechanical movement->electricity->electrical transmission->compressor/purifier->liquid nitrogen->motor->mechanical motion->wheels. For each "->" you lose a percentage of the power.)
Bikerman
The problem to me seems to be one of attitude and behaviour rather than technology. We know that rail travel is more ecologically sound that car travel, yet we choose to travel by car. We know that small engines are more ecologically sound than larger ones, yet we still buy 4x4 monsters.
We already have technology solutions to most of the problems. The real issue is in adapting behaviours.
mariomaster
Yeah I guess we do have a winner,

One person did vote NO. But most voted Yes. I personally think that Electrical Cars should replace Gas cars altogether.
SBCBC33
It should succeed if and only if the free-market dictates it to do so. Government is mostly inept and their intervention and regulative bureaucracy sucks the life out of anything they touch.
Voodoocat
mariomaster wrote:
I personally think that Electrical Cars should replace Gas cars altogether.

Don't electric cars just move the pollution from the car to a power plant? The same goes for compressed gas cars- the compressors are powered by something. Furthermore, if these engines are less efficient than the current engines there is the very real possibility of generating more pollution than before.
ocalhoun
Voodoocat wrote:
mariomaster wrote:
I personally think that Electrical Cars should replace Gas cars altogether.

Don't electric cars just move the pollution from the car to a power plant? T

Power plants are much more efficient and clean than small car engines. They run smoother, at a constant speed, they're tuned for maximum efficiency, and the exhaust is filtered much better. Also, there are many 100% clean power plants that the power could be coming from.
g0mes
I think that we should grab the idea of have hidrogen cars or electric instead of petrol because someday our wolr will be miserable and we can΄t live in here. We can only not think in ourselves but yes in the present and in the future generations.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
The problem to me seems to be one of attitude and behaviour rather than technology. We know that rail travel is more ecologically sound that car travel, yet we choose to travel by car. We know that small engines are more ecologically sound than larger ones, yet we still buy 4x4 monsters.

There are no passenger trains in South Dakota... so that's not really my choice, is it?
As for the 4x4 monster, I require 7000lbs of towing capacity, and mobility in snow/ice... at a reasonable cost.
Find me something that can provide that without being a '4x4 monster'.
Bikerman
But I wasn't thinking particularly about individuals - I'm talking about how most people behave who don't have your constraints.
abhinavm24
nitrogen fueled cars should i get one.
lol from where would i get the nitrogen to power my car, Razz
we dn't have nitrogen pumping stations!!
Shocked