FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Ancient Egypt

vontero
The more than 3000 year long history of Ancient Egypt has been divided into 8 or 9 periods, sometimes called Kingdoms. This modern-day division is somewhat arbitrarily based on the country's unity and wealth and the power of the central government. The Ancient Egyptians themselves did not group their rulers according to such criteria. They rather seem to have developed the notion of dynasties throughout their history. The Palermo Stone simply lists the kings one after the other, without any apparent need of grouping them. The Turin Kinglist, which is more recent, has grouped the kings according to their descendance or origin. Thus, Amenemhat I and his descendants, are described as the kings of Itj-Tawi, the capital whence they ruled. We owe the division into 30 dynasties as we use it now to Manetho, an Egyptian priest who lived at the beginning of the Ptolemaic Era. In many cases, however, it is not clear why Manetho has grouped some kings into one dynasty and other kings into another. The 18th Dynasty, for instance, starts with Ahmose, a brother of the last king in Manetho's 17th Dynasty. Theoritically, Ahmose and Kamose should thus have been grouped in the same dynasty. Thutmosis I, on the other hand, does not appear to have been related to his predecessor, Amenhotep I, but still both kings are grouped in the 18th Dynasty.

Some Egyptologists have attempted to abandon the notions of Kingdoms and dynasties, but for the sake of conformity with most publications dealing with Ancient Egypt, this site will continue using both notions. Visitors may, however, notice that the timeline below and the timescale used throughout The Ancient Egypt Site may be somewhat different from some of the other books or web-sites they have consulted.
vontero
Egypt has a rich and fascinating history with the Middle East. Although Egypt is the best known and most researched empire in the area, the others in the Middle East contributed to its grandeur. No culture has ever began with only its own traditions and methods. Other cultures from the area contribute to all the things that distinguish one culture from another. Interaction between Egypt and its neighbors has added many different aspects to Egyptian culture that we study today.

The most apparent interactions take place directly. These interactions are those that make direct connections from one culture to another. Trade route that intersect areas and wars involving two or more cultures are examples of direct interaction. Indirect interaction is less apparent, but none the less, it is just as important. Indirect interaction is the dealings that cultures have with others that don�t directly go from one popular culture to the next. As ideas and goods are exchanged indirectly, they are modified to fit the culture that has adopted them
framus
This thread fascinates me. I've been a fan of Egyptology for some time (though non-professionally), and I've recently read a very insightful book by Dr. R.A. Schaller de Lubicz, who claims the Sphinx is much older than scholars have previously suggested.

Based upon geological considerations. Schwaller de Lubicz observed, and recent geologists (such as Robert Schoch, Professor of Geology at Boston University) have confirmed, that the extreme erosion on the body of the Sphinx could not be the result of wind and sand, as has been universally assumed, but rather was the result of water. Geologists agree that in the distant past Egypt was subjected to severe flooding. Wind erosion cannot take place when the body of the Sphinx is covered by sand, and the Sphinx has been in this condition for nearly all of the last five thousand years - since the alleged time of its 4th Dynasty construction. Remember, if wind-blown sand had indeed caused the deep erosion of the Sphinx, we would expect to find evidence of such erosion on other Egyptian monuments built of similar materials and exposed to the wind for a similar length of time. Yet the fact of the matter is, that even on structures that have had more exposure to the wind-blown sand, there are minimal effects of erosion, the sand having done little more than scour clean the surface of the dressed stones. The geological findings suggest that the Sphinx seems to have been sculpted sometime before 10,000 BC, and this period coincides with the Age of Leo the Lion, which lasted from 10,970 to 8810 BC.

Any other amateur Egyptology sleuths out there care to chime in with their views?
elephant03
I am not sure about this answer in mind. Does any one know who the first Pharoh of the Egypt was? Please explain to me him about his bio in details. Thanks!
Firilacroco
I like Egyptology very much. It's a fascinating subject.
perdito
I now wonder how real are films you imagine when you read or accept some claim on how somebody discovered facts about Egypt. Can you experience Ancient Egypt if there is no more of it? I know people hold onto interpretation, but then you get stuck in world neither real nor Egyptian and you like to think you know how it was. Sometimes it just feels like a bite)
imera
I love history, everything before electricity is fascinating, after that things turn too much to guns and canons and such.
WicCaesar
Ancient Egypt fascinates me, but I've never been told about Kingdoms, just pyramids stuff, gods and mummies.
ptfrances
It's true that it's a very interesting topic and thank you for all these information

Smile
jonsebfh8
Definitely Egypt is one of the oldest historically edifice still standing with lots of secrets still to unearth,as such it has been one of the favourite hunting ground for archaeologists from all over the world.it has fascinated the people's imagination all over the world.

THE heiroglyphics,the tombs of Tutan khamuns & its ilks ,the palace of luxembourgs & many many more. That's Egypt
OpposableThumbs
So Napoleon comes back with a bunch of loot from his Egyptian campaign at the end of the eighteenth century, and all of a sudden Europe "discovers" Egypt: Egyptology, Egyptomania, Egyptian curses, mummies, the lot. Was anyone else interested in ancient Egypt before the 1780s?
ptfrances
Yes and now it is on the Concorde Square in Paris Wink
TrueFact
The Egyptian history was attracting attention across the years but the too called "curse" made it very popular and ever since and with each day archeologists dig in the Egyptian sands, they find more secrets. These secrets are emerged from the very strict ruling by the ancient priests (or whatever you call them) and their effect on the royal families and the kings themselves.

For example, the Greatest Pyramid had two square holes (20 cm * 20 cm) starting from the royal chamber to its edges.

1. Main Entrance

2. Minor Entrance (The Arabs were the oldest documented people to enter the Great Pyramids. The Calip Al Mamoum of Baghdad, around 820 A.D., hired an army of workers to dig through the stones of the pyramid to enter it. They were unable to find the entrance, which was concealed, on the north side of the structure. The Calip had hoped to find treasures within because many tales described riches hidden there. Instead of finding treasures or writings, they only discovered a coffin made of marble in the king's chamber, which is one of three chambers in the Great Pyramid. There was no inscription or writings found therein.)

3. Long passage with low roofing that leads to the royal chamber.

4. Extending the low roofed passage but with a higher roof.

5. The Royal chamber where the king is buried.

The square holes were thought to be reaching the face of the pyramid which in 2008 were found to be ending at what is thought to be a door. What they found is this:

Many people think that Egypt hold only 3 pyramids which is wrong, it is only the most famous as it is the last standing of the seven wonders of the world.

There's more pyramids in Egypt than you can imagine.
TrueFact
But the greatest pyramid is a true mystery due to the fact that it:
1- The Great Pyramid, standing with a base of 55,000 m and each side greater that 20,000 m in area, can be seen from orbit

2- The pyramid is a precisely aligned structure and looks north with only 3/60th a degree of error.

3- The design of the pyramid is alleged by some to have a geometric relationship with celestial bodies such as the orbit of the earth around the sun.

4- the Great Pyramid is built on a perfectlu level ground. Its level is so exact that it varies less that 1/2 inches over the 13 acres says Max Thoth. This is an amazing feat for the ancient surveyors and would have been difficult, if not almost impossible to match, even today with our advanced technology.

5- It consists of approximately 2.5 million blocks that weight from 2 tons to over 70 tons. The blocks on the top of the pyramid are from the same site and time period as those on the bottom. The stones are cut so precisely that a credit card cannot fit between them. No one knows if the builders deliberately or inadvertently left the capstone off.

6- The Great Pyramid is one of the heaviest structures on earth and could not be built anywhere. The architect had to pick a site that could withstand the weight of the Great Pyramid. How this knowledge was obtained no one knows. In short, the builders of the Great Pyramid had to be some of the best world geologists to be able to pick the site.

7- The Great Pyramid is located in the center of all the landmasses. Many pyramidologists believe that the meridian line running north and south on the globe passing through the Pyramid (31 degree East of Greenwich) should be the zero line of the whole world. By drawing a horizontal line through the pyramid one can see the pyramid is the center of the landmasses. Again one sees that the architect of the Pyramid had to know the location in advance and it has only been in the last 100 years that men have had these capabilities.

8- the angle of passageways inside the pyramid is 26 degrees 18 minutes 9.7 seconds. Traveling away from the Great Pyramid at the same angle of 26 degrees 18 minutes 9.7 seconds to the equator, one would pass through the birthplace of the Messiah. knowing that the Messiah was born about 5500 years later.
TrueFact
What revelations are known about the dimensions of the Great Pyramid?
1- The base unit of measurement in the Pyramid's is 25.052 inches. The Pryamid's inch is 1.0025 of our regular inch. Each side of its base is 365.2422 cubits, which is the exact number of days in a solar year. Now 365.24 cubits occur five or six times somewhere within the pyramid that shows it was not a coincidence.
2- The Pyramid's perimeter, the distance around the four sides of the base, correlates with the circumference of the earth.
3- According to Professor Piazzi Smyth, multiplying the height of the Pyramid's 35th layer by 10 derives the distance of the earth from the sun.
4- The base unit of measurement used by the Pyramid designer is ten-millionth of the earth's polar radius, according Peter Lemeisuier. Simply put it is one ten millionth the distance from the North Pole to equator.
5- The number of days in a century (100 years) is 36,524 days and corresponds to the total inches valued in the Pyramid's perimeter.
6- The number Pi is the mathematical constant 3.1415, with the ratio of the diameter to the distance around the circle, called the circumference. In the pyramid it is the ratio of the height to twice the length of the base.

For more reading if interested:
1- Peter Lemesurier states the following about historians in his book The Great Pyramid Decoded. "The sober truth is, of course, that no historian has yet advanced an explanation of the Great Pyramid’s construction that is convincing (p. 6)." Now the Great Pyramid is not the only pyramid in Egypt. There are many in Egypt and elsewhere in the whole world such as in South America and Mexico.

2- Max Toth's book Pyramid (Destiny Books © 1978 ©1988) states that "most pyramid-based cultures are found throughout the world within a 30-degree zone above and beneath the equator circumscribing the earth ." This includes the pyramids built in Mexico and South America.

Sorry that I was dragged into the Great Pyramid only, but, as you see, whole books are written about it that I think this thread is not enough to discuss it.

Other issues about it:
Why it was built?
Who built it?
How it was built?
How long it took to be built?
How did they move the huge stones from Aswan (about 1000 kilometers to the south of Giza)
Bikerman
[MOD Warning. The above postings tread a very narrow line between copying and paraphrasing. I am prepared to let it go in this case, but I will be keeping an eye on similar postings in future.
Truefact - you know EXACTLY what I am talking about so please be more careful when using third party material and claiming it as your own.]

Bikerman
TrueFact
I read alot about the pyramids and some information weren't accurate 100% so I had a reference to some books and sites that I have on my PC. I typed what I know is accurate 100% and made references for what I had doubts about.

Yes, I admit that some of the content is copied from other resources, but this is due to the fact that I couldn't find the original links to put instead of the text itself.

Anyway, thank you for bringing it to my attention and I should be more careful in the future.

Thank you
bonestorm74
Egypt is cool. I've definitely been interested about the pyramids and some of the ancient history there as it's quite fascinating. Reading about how they built the pyramids and the intricacies of the designs is quite incredible. I have not been there yet but it is certainly on my list of places to visit one day.
mycologicalintent
I love their worship of cats, me being a fiend for a good cat (mines in me lap as we speak Smile

They would shave their eyebrows when their cats would die, my wife did that once, and I will in 15 years or so (at least, hopefully). Smile
sana618
elephant03 wrote:
I am not sure about this answer in mind. Does any one know who the first Pharoh of the Egypt was? Please explain to me him about his bio in details. Thanks!

i'm not a very good student of history, but after reading this thread , i kind of googled this question n came up with this, i think the answer to your question about the first Pharoh will be in these links.
The name of the first Pharoh was Narmer also known as Menes(Mee-Neez).

http://africanhistory.about.com/od/egyptology/p/Menes.htm

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/egypt/pharaoh.htm