FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Enable Wireless Connection for Limited User account???

mella
It seems this should have a simple solution, but one I've yet to find...

I'm just trying to figure out how to allow a limited user account to access the web?

I use Intel Proset Wireless (on Windows XP home) and I noticed that while I was under limited user, when I tried to access Proset it gave me this message:

"...do not have sufficient security privileges to configure your wireless adapter"

so that clearly means it is set to allow only the Administrator to access it.

I'm figuring that setting right there is the problem, causing a limited user to be unable to connect to the internet

Does anyone know how I can change it so that it works under limited user? Because it just won't work, at all

any help would be greatly appreciated
brokenadvice
On an administrator account I think you can go to a program called program access and defaults or something like that. That way you could enable the limited account to change the settings. Otherwise, you could just uninstall the intel proset, and just use windows zero point configuration (which works just as well).
TheOnionRack
brokenadvice wrote:
On an administrator account I think you can go to a program called program access and defaults or something like that. That way you could enable the limited account to change the settings. Otherwise, you could just uninstall the intel proset, and just use windows zero point configuration (which works just as well).

Yeah, I would recommend the WZC utility that comes built in with your XP install. A lot less bloatware to worry about , and the user privileges work out of the box because it is part of XP.

Alternatively, you could log into an account with admin access rights and set the Intel Proset program to "Run as Administrator" or "Run under different credentials", which forces the application to use the access restrictions on a different account; which should fix your problem.