FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

why do people belive in a higher power

limpus
i dont no what it is about people......with this all high and mighty bullchit
i dont get it........do the people who "belive in god" actualy belive in god!!!!
the only reson i can think of is so they can say..."it was gods will" or "in the name on god i hav to do this" or "im doining this for god".......or someother bullchit............
Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea
ive got an idea...if every1 foloed my religion we would be better off.....no religion at all......
NO RELIGION IS SAFE.......I WILL HAV MY RENGENCE........
stupid christions...bloody chathlics.....dumbmuslims.......
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
i hav a realy good idea...kill all the priests....burn all the churches.....distroy all the mosks or what
ever u people worship at...its bullchit!!!!!!!
the only reason some1 invented religion is cause they could feel more secure with themselves...
so they felt diferently about leaving this earth....
believing that they will be goin somewer better...somewer safer.......and on the way they become as rich as possable by scamming every penny outta everyday people.....to make them feel as tho there doin the right thing...then the cycle go's round and round.......
chit on all the priests..........first they say tha its not sin to kill some1 that dosnt belive...then they say that every1 must hav the right ot live..... Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
i only no that religion changes thru time and that its a hole lot of chit....
spinout
That is an easy question to answer!
It is put in our genetics to believe/think about a higher form of existence.
leontius
Religion has many diverse functions that it is indispensable at least before contemporary world:
* it provides spiritual joy for people who like it
* it unites people, which is good for politics
* it tames humans so they do not become anarchists every time, which is good for common welfare
* it makes people feel better when they/their significant others die, just like you said
Bikerman
leontius wrote:
Religion has many diverse functions that it is indispensable at least before contemporary world:
OK - for some it certainly does. For others it provides guilt and angst.
Quote:
* it unites people, which is good for politics
Really? You think so? You wouldn't say that it actually divides people (or at last provides one distinguishing criterion which can be used to divide them)?
Quote:
* it tames humans so they do not become anarchists every time, which is good for common welfare
The implication being that non-religious people are anarchists, and that anarchism is bad?
Quote:
* it makes people feel better when they/their significant others die, just like you said
Yep - I'd agree with that one.
catscratches
Although some people are corrupted and want power, all of the priests I've met have been rather nice (I havn't met many as I don't go to church or anything like that, though).

It's not as bad as you (limpus) describe it.
Aredon
Until science can provide all the answers, people will turn to religion for explanation regarding the unexplained.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Religion and science can live in harmony so I see no reason to depart with the answers given by religion since I'd rather be left with answers than unexplained.
ThePolemistis
limpus wrote:
i dont get it........do the people who "belive in god" actualy belive in god!!!!
the only reson i can think of is so they can say..."it was gods will" or "in the name on god i hav to do this" or "im doining this for god".......or someother bullchit............
ive got an idea...if every1 foloed my religion we would be better off.....no religion at all......
i hav a realy good idea...kill all the priests....burn all the churches.....distroy all the mosks or what
the only reason some1 invented religion is cause they could feel more secure with themselves...
believing that they will be goin somewer better...somewer safer.......and on the way they become as rich as possable by scamming every penny outta everyday people.....to make them feel as tho there doin the right thing...then the cycle go's round and round.......
chit on all the priests..........first they say tha its not sin to kill some1 that dosnt belive...then they say that every1 must hav the right ot live..... Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

Great spelling Very Happy

You said

limpus wrote:

first they say tha its not sin to kill some1 that dosnt belive...then they say that every1 must hav the right ot live..... Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

but then you said:

limpus wrote:

I don't know who is more barbaric. Smile
liljp617
Aredon wrote:
Until science can provide all the answers, people will turn to religion for explanation regarding the unexplained.
Religion and science can live in harmony so I see no reason to depart with the answers given by religion since I'd rather be left with answers than unexplained.

Not really. The more science and rational thought continue to break down something like the Bible, the more people will say "Oh, that's metaphorical, not literal." Even if science were to prove the lack of a god(s) existing beyond all reasonable doubt, people will continue to say god(s) is outside the realm of reality and human logic. The idea of god(s)/supernatural beings and religions that follow these things is too flexible to "co-exist" with hard science.

On a side note: You can continue doing as you wish, but I really wouldn't make it a habit to use Einstein as any defense to religion or examples of how religion/science mesh.

The opening post is quite scary too lol Razz
Klaw 2
Aredon wrote:

Nice quote he said:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

That doesn't meant that he supported religion.
And science and religion don't always lifve in harmony like with creationist's they smear mud on it.
jmlworld
limpus wrote:

First, you should use less emoticons, less full stops (dots) and proper spelling. Its hard to understand your words since they are written in the SMS style.

Besides, I myself do believe the existence of Higher Power. I don't want to describe why I do believe in that, but I commented to say, why do you interrupt? You don't believe in God, but someone else believes in him, so don't try to burn the mosques, churches and temples. Do not kill the monks, priests and sheiks.

So, everybody was born free, let him/her worship freely!
liljp617
jmlworld wrote:
limpus wrote:

First, you should use less emoticons, less full stops (dots) and proper spelling. Its hard to understand your words since they are written in the SMS style.

Besides, I myself do believe the existence of Higher Power. I don't want to describe why I do believe in that, but I commented to say, why do you interrupt? You don't believe in God, but someone else believes in him, so don't try to burn the mosques, churches and temples. Do not kill the monks, priests and sheiks.

That would be perfect in an ideal world where people didn't feel the need to press their religion and religious morals into government and other people's lives. That would be perfect in a country where religious Evangelicals and nutcases didn't have control over just about everything....and everything that has nothing to do with them. That would be perfect in a country where a non-religious, secular individual had as equal an opportunity as a Christian to win a Presidential (or any high government position) race.

The problem here lies in the fact that many (and I would argue a majority) of religious people/theists can't keep it to themselves. They feel it necessary to press on issues such as same-sex marriage, abortion, stem cell research, etc. because their 2000 year old book said so. That doesn't mean all theists are like this. If you truly practice what you preach in this post, great. By all means, believe away! But you're a minority in this respect.
Bikerman
jmlworld wrote:

As far as I know the only people burning Mosques, Churches and Temples are religious people, not atheists. I haven't heard any reports of monks or priests being killed in the name of atheism - have you?
The right to religious freedom of belief and expression is enshrined in European Law, and in the US Constitution, so I really don't see what the problem is.
ThePolemistis
Bikerman wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

As far as I know the only people burning Mosques, Churches and Temples are religious people, not atheists. I haven't heard any reports of monks or priests being killed in the name of atheism - have you?
The right to religious freedom of belief and expression is enshrined in European Law, and in the US Constitution, so I really don't see what the problem is.

Both Stalin and Hitler were athiests. Many Jews, Muslims and Christians died in their hands. Synagogues, Mosques and Churches also were destroyed. These two men alone are responsible for the deaths of over 60 million people.
Klaw 2
ThePolemistis wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

Both Stalin and Hitler were athiests. Many Jews, Muslims and Christians died in their hands. Synagogues, Mosques and Churches also were destroyed. These two men alone are responsible for the deaths of over 60 million people.

No hitler wasn't and ahteist this has been already discussed in a topic a short while ago....
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-94146.html

Stalin didn't kill people because they were religious but because they somehow were a threat to his power or he deemed them to be so.
Nor did stalin destroy a lot of churches if you go to moscow there is a really big one in front of the kremlin if he did want to destroy churches systemarically he missed the one in front of his window. It was razed but later restored because he wanted it.

On the left a ortodox church on the right the Kremlin. I take you know what the kremlin is...

A lot of people died of hunger bad planning etc.
Also Stalin got more and more paranoid and thought of a lot of people as his enemy cause they disagreed or opposed any of his desicions. He didn't care what religion people were he thought of them as a danger so e got rid of them.

He did kill a lot of people "because" the where part of the church but that is because the church was an instrument of the Tsar and he percieved it as a threat.

Stalin was a madman and that's the main reason for the death and destuction.
liljp617
ThePolemistis wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

-.- Not the Hitler stuff again. Simply put, Hitler was NOT AN ATHEIST.

The situation with Stalin is a hell of a lot more complicated and detailed than just "he was an atheist and killed people, therefore atheism caused his tyranny."

Anyway, you have no point, because Hitler was a Christian (refer to the Dawkin's thread for pages of proof) and Stalin killed NO ONE in the name of atheism, which was the original point. Again, find someone who has killed IN THE NAME OF atheism (you might find 3 or 4, but I doubt it).
Bikerman
ThePolemistis wrote:
As has already been pointed out, Hitler was certainly NOT an atheist. As for Stalin - the important characteristic of Stalin (and other's such as Mao ZeDong) was not their atheism but their dogmatic Marxism. Stalin did not launch the purges in the name of atheism - he launched them in the name of Marxism. Indeed he was, like many dictators, concerned with hanging on to power and theism/atheism was not really a factor.
Blaming Stalin's murderous pogroms on atheism makes no more sense than blaming Hitler's murderous holocaust on Christianity. In fact it actually makes less sense, since Christianity has a track record when considering anti-Semitism.
Now, I have not made the assertion that Hitler killed millions of people because he was a Christian, so I wonder why you make the assertion that Stalin killed millions because he was an atheist?

PS - what the hell is a Polemistis? Did you mean polemicist?
palladium
leontius wrote:

Bikerman wrote:

OK - for some it certainly does. For others it provides guilt and angst.

The question is what guilt is. It is a kind of bad feelings that you feel when one’s action contradicts basic moral ethics and human conscious. It has nothing to do with religion. Human conscious is more like human instincts. Humans are born with it. You don’t have to tech it to them. If release some kids into wilderness who knows nothing about religion and morality even they will build up an ethical standard close to us. Even they will say lying; stealing, raping, killing is bad. Cause it’s the basic human conscious. When you rape a girl in the street, come home and feel guilty. Then don’t mock the religion. It is not making you guilty. You are the one who is making you guilty. Because you know what you have done in the street is bad. It’s your conscious. So stop mocking religion. Follow you’re your conscious (if you can not follow any religion). And always do the right thing. Cause deep in your heart you know what is right and what is wrong.
mgeek
liljp617 wrote:

Not really. The more science and rational thought continue to break down something like the Bible, the more people will say "Oh, that's metaphorical, not literal." Even if science were to prove the lack of a god(s) existing beyond all reasonable doubt, people will continue to say god(s) is outside the realm of reality and human logic. The idea of god(s)/supernatural beings and religions that follow these things is too flexible to "co-exist" with hard science.

I don't know which group of religionists you have encountered to give you the reason to make the above claims. Muslims and Christians laid the foundations of rational philosophy and science after the Greeks and Romans (who were themselves "religious"). Don't base your observations on the facts of your short insignificant life since there is something larger than it.
Klaw 2
mgeek wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

I don't know which group of religionists you have encountered to give you the reason to make the above claims. Muslims and Christians laid the foundations of rational philosophy and science after the Greeks and Romans (who were themselves "religious"). Don't base your observations on the facts of your short insignificant life since there is something larger than it.

They didn´t laid anything they used many things the the greeks thought up little infact has been brought up by christianity for the first time.
leontius
Klaw 2 wrote:
mgeek wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

They didn´t laid anything they used many things the the greeks thought up little infact has been brought up by christianity for the first time.

At least Christianity laid down the path of woman emancipation. If there is no Christianity all of us would still be like the Greeks and Romans who consider women to be more inferior beings to men.
Klaw 2
leontius wrote:
Klaw 2 wrote:
mgeek wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

At least Christianity laid down the path of woman emancipation. If there is no Christianity all of us would still be like the Greeks and Romans who consider women to be more inferior beings to men.

You what? Christians copied aristotoles view that the ladies "miss something" the Christians thought roughly the same.

As for female Romans they had lot of freedom at least more than females in the 1800s they could divorce from their husbands they could start a relationship on their own etc. own their own stuff It was all nice till the Christians came along and started demanding stuff.
c'tair
The Old Testament tells us how to treat women, and it's not a way a gentle would treat any women.

Anyways, I believe that a higher power is kinda hard coded into our brains, as a last resort in times of panic and crisis.

A few years ago, already being a non-believer, had encountered the "old hag syndrome" (google it, terrifying stuff) and in that one moment, I broke down and started praying. It was too much fear... But when I read about the syndrome and it happened to me a second, I would've grinned if I weren't paralyzed (again, google the syndrom, it's scary but funny at the same time). That was a moment of brilliance for me, because I swore to myself to never believe or call upon something which I don't know to exist, since it's just stupid.

Anyways, I believe religions, and things linked to them, to be the major cause of evil in this world. The abrahamic religions, I don't even wanna talk about them, hinduism, the caste system (what the hell...? A friend came back from india a few weeks ago and told me that, even though people told them the caste system was overthrown, many people still bowed down and kissed other people's feet), and that's all for now, since my studies are still insufficient, especially regarding japanese/chinese religion.
liljp617
mgeek wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

I've encountered the same ones you have.

No they didn't. Extremely few, if any, new ideas/ideologies/ways of life were brought about by Christianity or Islam. Flat out ridiculous to make such a claim -.-

leontius wrote:
Klaw 2 wrote:
mgeek wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

I really wish I had the motivation Indi does to make books on how wrong people are, but I don't. I'll just say that this, like the above statement, is ridiculous.
fpwebs
People beleive in a higher power because it comforts them and gives them a reason to leave. They want to feel that there is some kind of importance in their life. They also want to beleive they are being taken care of and that everything will be alright. Another reason why people choose to believe in a god is so they have some immortal power to blame when things go wrong so they dont have to blame themselves.