FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sound Frequency Meter in Software?

TomGrey
I would like to see the frequency of guitar notes in a software based tuner. I would play into my microphone, and the display would be the frequency.

I looked a bit and what I found before was just sound files which I'm supposed to listen to for tuning. Plus advice to buy an electronic tuner.

It can't be that hard to do it in software. Maybe I should look somewhere else?
So I'm trying here.

Help, please.
AftershockVibe
They definitely exist as I have seen them, although I haven't used one myself.
If I were you I'd go to download.com or similar and search for "guitar tuner" as a starting point. There's tonnes.
harismushtaq
In one of my projects, I was trying to write a frequency meter but failed at that time. It is a story of 3 years so I was a very new programmer then. If any one has suggestions in this regard, please put forward.

My idea, using WASAPI, we can het the raw audio data from the audio buffer. If we can find the format of the data and how we cna extract differenct notes and thier strength, we can probably draw them on the screen.
TomGrey
Thanks for suggesting going to Download.com directly.
I have tried many that were just wave files of sound, but I wanted the frequency.

I tried PerfectPitch and that seems to work for me.
(But my mic is so weak I have to increase its volume or something. That's a different problem.)

PerfectPitch shows me the desired frequency of the note, and the actual frequency it is hearing as I play a guitar string -- just what I wanted. The guitar sounds better.
A lot better.