FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Beware!! protect your system from virus. here is a tip!!

sankineni
The USB flash drive or pen drive are very useful portable storage devices which are very commonly used for transferring or transporting personal data or work files from one station to another, e.g. from the house to the office or for carrying around data that users intend to transfer or access in a variety of places. The USB flash drive is compact and easy to carry around. However, as the storage device is so common and easily used, the percentage of the drive being infected by viruses has also increased substantially. In this situation, what can a user do in order to prevent or reduce the risk of being infected by viruses while transporting data via the portable USB drive?

To minimize the risk of the PC being infected by viruses, it is a good practice to keep a habit to carry out the following measures once you insert or connect your portable Pen Drive into your computer. When you insert your USB Drive or Pen Drive into your PC, click cancel to close the dialogue box prompted out.
pen-drive.jpg
Now you need to go to Start\Run and type cmd to run the Command Prompt Window as shown below.
cmd.jpg
In the Command Window, type in your flash drive’s drive letter (if your pen drive is detected as G, then type G: and so on). Once you have gone in to your pen drive, now type dir/w/o/a/p and hit Enter. You will then see a list of files. Search whether any of these files appear or exist:
1. Autorun.inf
2. New Folder.exe
3. Bha.vbs
4. Iexplore.vbs
5. Info.exe
6. New_Folder.exe
7. Ravmon.exe
8. RVHost.exe or any other files with “.exe” extension.

For instance, two files are found in the following example: a.dll.vbs and Autorun.inf.
infected.jpg
If you happen to see any of the above files, just type and run the command attrib -h -r -s -a *.* as shown in the photo below:
attrib1.jpg
Once this has been done, you need to delete the files that you see. In the example above, you need to delete the a.dll.vbs and Autorun.inf. Just type in “del autorun.inf” and “del a.dll.vbs”.
delete.jpg

needed review Smile
Magicman
The pictures in your post do not show up at all making it difficult to follow. Maybe is would be best to try and explain exactly what each command does so people don't mess around in the terminal without knowing what they are doing.
flowerpower
the pictures you posted are not displayed....
interesting information. thanks for that! I'll check this out next time.
dualR
In reality, minor viruses do not 'jump' from USB drives into computers as easily as this. If viruses do jump into or out of your USB, you've got some bigger problems to worry about than just the newly created files.

What I mean is that if you have a virus advanced enough to copy itself onto a newly plugged in USB you should be focusing on killing the main virus rather than the copied virus. Simply killing the files on the USB will only stop the ends not the means.
Chinmoy
use an antivirus, use a firewall. No need to e the police for yourself. Let the police do its job.
Faraz
Very interesting information. My USB frequently gets autorun.inf and asp.net files on the root. But I agree with Chinmoy. Use an antivirus. McAfee is a good one. It detects these files as soon as I insert my USB.
dbershevits
There are several things that you should do to protect your computer from virus infections:

Use a high-quality anti-virus program, and be sure to update it regularly. Use it to scan any files, programs, software, or diskettes (even new software from a commercial company) before you use them on your computer.
Make back-up copies of important documents or files and store them on separate diskettes. Making backups will also protect your information against accidental file deletion, diskette failure, and other damage.
Whenever you use a computer in a campus lab, be sure to reboot or run "cleanup" before you start your session and log out when you end your session.
Do not share commerical software with anyone. It is a violation of the author's copyright to distribute such material, and it is a way to spread viruses.
When you get public domain (PD) software for which the author has granted permission to make copies, get it from a reliable source. (For example, and individual you do not know is not a reliable source.) Before you run PD material, use an anit-virus program to inspect for known viruses.
Always scan your disks and files after using them on another computer.
Always scan all files you download from the Internet.
Always scan Word or Excel file email attachments before you read them.

What if my computer gets a virus?
Not all damage to your programs and files is caused by viruses: worn out floppies, failing hard drives, user error, and poorly written programs can all cause you to lose data. If your computer is behaving strangely, or if you think your computer has a virus, use an anti-virus program to find out.

If your computer is infected with a virus, DON'T PANIC! Use an anti-virus program to remove the virus yourself, or turn your computer off and find someone who knows how to remove the virus.

If a virus is active in memory, it may prevent anti-virus programs from working correctly. To be sure no virus is active, turn off your computer and reboot from a known-clean system diskette before you begin the disinfection process.

Eliminate all copies of the virus as quickly as possible. Check all your diskettes, and warn anyone else who may have infected files or disks.

Remember, most viruses can be removed without permanent damage to your system, and most virus infections can be prevented. With proper care, your computer can remain virus-free.
chatrack
Thanks. It is a new information for me.
AftershockVibe
If you turn off autorun on any of the computers you are hoping to protect using this method you'd achieve the same thing with a lot less effort in the long run.

http://www.engadget.com/2004/06/29/how-to-tuesday-disable-autorun-on-windows/
b4r4t
Well ... first of all - learn how to use Your PC. If You know what You're doing, then there isn't much chance to catch a worm. Good AV (I use Avira, but maybe I'll check AVG), a little usage of brain and in most of cases - You will be fine.
My last birus was ... well ... 9 or 10 months ago ... and this one was because of my brother Smile