FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the use of Cheat codes in Games?

tamilparks
I have heard about cheat codes in games, but i could not know whats is special in cheat codes? is it very useful or not need? can any one please discuss
badai
most probably it were put there during development for testing purpose (so that they won't waste too much time), and left there to make the games interesting.
Pikokola
well... it's there for some people who wants to kill some time by owning something.
And the developer should know, that some people can't beat the game even on the easiest difficulty, even when they already doing their best, and it's there to help those people.
kerryworkman
tamilparks wrote:
I have heard about cheat codes in games, but i could not know whats is special in cheat codes? is it very useful or not need? can any one please discuss

Basically a cheat code allows you to do something in the game that it was not necessarily intended for. For example a cheat code could give you infinate lives, or give everyone in the game a funny costume, or it might let you play as a different character. They can be fun and bring new life into a game, or give you that edge to get past a part you are stuck on. I recommend you try to play through the game first without cheats and then when you are done you can turn the cheats on to play again for fun.
Futile
kerryworkman wrote:
tamilparks wrote:

Basically a cheat code allows you to do something in the game that it was not necessarily intended for. For example a cheat code could give you infinate lives, or give everyone in the game a funny costume, or it might let you play as a different character. They can be fun and bring new life into a game, or give you that edge to get past a part you are stuck on. I recommend you try to play through the game first without cheats and then when you are done you can turn the cheats on to play again for fun.

Ditto, i agree with kerry. Cheats were included in order to make things more interesting but just as someone else mentioned they can also be for developement or design reasons.
psycosquirrel
I think they were also there to give people with less time or skills the ability to compete with people who are really good at the game...

For example, me and my girlfriend both play Animal Crossing for the gamecube. She has her town, and I have mine. She has easily twice the amount of play time as me, but her town and player still aren't as well-off as my character, mainly because I used to play the game back when I was a kid and she didn't. She compensates for my greater experience with the game by looking up codes and using them on her game.

Its not a big deal to use cheats, but I feel like they take all the fun out of games, so I personally never use them.
catscratches
psycosquirrel wrote:
I think they were also there to give people with less time or skills the ability to compete with people who are really good at the game...

For example, me and my girlfriend both play Animal Crossing for the gamecube. She has her town, and I have mine. She has easily twice the amount of play time as me, but her town and player still aren't as well-off as my character, mainly because I used to play the game back when I was a kid and she didn't. She compensates for my greater experience with the game by looking up codes and using them on her game.

Its not a big deal to use cheats, but I feel like they take all the fun out of games, so I personally never use them.
I'd say it depends on what cheat it is. Infinite lives or such things are just plain utterly boring, but some other cheats may be funny to use when playing through the game a second time.
David_Pardy
I used to cheat in games quite a lot when I was still young, but that was mainly because I ALWAYS played to win, and I used to die a lot quite easily back then Wink.

But as I grew up, my disdain for cheating grew quite dramatically, and now I rarely - if EVER - cheat. One notable exception is Duke Nukem 3d, which I've completed twice. The first time I completed it I encountered a bug where a door which was supposed to be triggered to open when you first walk near it didn't do so. So I had to use a no-clipping cheat to force it to open.

The other thing with Duke Nukem 3d was doing the God mode cheat, giving myself a ton of ammo, and then flying around shooting everything, just for the hell of it Very Happy

But seriously, I really hate unnecessary cheating. I DESPISE when people cheat or hack multiplayer games, because that's unfair to those of us who play legitimately. Mods that make things a bit quicker and easier are fine, but things that break the rules of the game to give players an unfair edge is cheating and people who do should be smacked in the head Wink.
benje
they are used...to cheat.
Magicman
Like people have pointed out before, cheats can make a game much easier and sometimes they are just for fun. I never use cheats to actually aid me in beating a game but I sometimes use them when I'm playing through a second time just to make it more fun. Sometimes a game is just more fun if a few button presses can make all the cars around you blow up or some other cool cheat. Animal crossing is definitely a game I would cheat in though because without the cheat codes, getting NES games is nearly impossible.
catscratches
I had a recent experience on how cheats can be good.

I am currently playing Oblivion. A wonderful game but I was becoming a vampire (which I did not want to be). The only way of curing it was doing some quest which I could not do without first doing a lot of other things. I simply didn't want to do all of those things as a vampire (since it's really annoying). So I cheated. Oblivion is a wonderful game except for the whole vampire thingy which they i.m.o. should never have introduced.
David_Pardy
Well you can prevent yourself becoming a vampire by visiting a temple and being healed within the first two days after being inflicted with the disease you get. I forget what it's called, but you still had the chance!
catscratches
David_Pardy wrote:
Well you can prevent yourself becoming a vampire by visiting a temple and being healed within the first two days after being inflicted with the disease you get. I forget what it's called, but you still had the chance!
How should I know how to do that? When I got inflicted, the game didn't mention it in any way until I slept. And that didn't really give any answer to how to cure it.
KHO
Ive had plenty of games where I will get stuck inbetween 2 objects and unable to get out, slap on the no clip cheat code and get out of that tight spot, then turn it off. That just saved me having to reload the game from 40minutes ago. =D

Also, it makes things easier, say your in the middle of a large dungeon, and you run out of arrows and your an archer! OH NOES! Well you can leave the dungeon and spend the next 30minutes real time trying to get arrows and get back in, or use a cheat code to give them to you in a matter of seconds.
Nehallyn
I hate using cheat codes. For some reason I like knowing it was my skill that let me beat the game, not some code.
Subaru
Some cheats makes my blood boil - like 9999 HP, invincibility, invisible-forever, no-clipping (through walls) etc.
but some of them are good to try and look how game would like with using one of them... (like FCR in EXE 5 DS until I got Gba game to turn it on without code Wink )
One important thing... hacking a game is not the same what cheating is Wink because we can hack game to make some funny video for example (EXE series Cool )
Generally I don't like help from codes but when You can't finish one level 100 times than You hardly think about using small help just for this moment Razz
Kunkstar7
Cheat codes i find usually ruin the fun of a game so i try to avoid. But there are times such as an impossible level that you just want to get past and try the rest of the game. And some codes are just great for making hilarious things happen. But usually you don't even need codes to do that. Razz
b4r4t
For me cheat codes are the most LAME thing ever.
The only thing they should be used for is BETA testing of the games.

There are some cheats, which doesn't afgfect tle gameplay ... they just change the look of your character and such things - this is ok.
But GOD MODE and hacks - it's killing the gameplay.

Look at Diablo 2 ... because of Cheats, bots, dupe ... it's unplayable now for me ... any kid can turn BOT or dupe stuff ... LAME ...

If You can't play ... LEARN or pick another game, but don't cheat (especialy online) ... bot well ... in single player You only can hurt yourself - if You want - cheat then Smile
enygmasoft
b4r4t wrote:
For me cheat codes are the most LAME thing ever.
The only thing they should be used for is BETA testing of the games.

There are some cheats, which doesn't afgfect tle gameplay ... they just change the look of your character and such things - this is ok.
But GOD MODE and hacks - it's killing the gameplay.

Look at Diablo 2 ... because of Cheats, bots, dupe ... it's unplayable now for me ... any kid can turn BOT or dupe stuff ... LAME .lay
If You can't play ... LEARN or pick another game, but don't cheat (especialy online) ... bot well ... in single player You only can hurt yourself - if You want - cheat then Smile

I certainly find it easy to agree with you that cheat codes make the game too easy, which why I go thru the trouble of passing games the first time thru with no cheat code usage. In this manner it forces me to play the game as intended.
tamilparks
very great, thanks but how can we find the cheat codes for each game is there any posibility is it only know for the game developers? any easy way to find out the cheat codes?
justtj
cheatcodes are little easter eggs by the developers...
Its handy while testing the game, also they r usefull if you are an expert and wanna stress on some particular parts of game..

e.g. i complete Age Of Mythology and then starting playing it with cheats as i wanted to concentrate more on battles and less on economy..

Smile
weableandbob
they're there because they're fun
Fake
Sometimes u get stuck at a level, and need to go through. Instead of totally giving up on the game, may as well use a bit of a hack, and keep on playing
b4r4t
Fake wrote:
Sometimes u get stuck at a level, and need to go through. Instead of totally giving up on the game, may as well use a bit of a hack, and keep on playing

But ... if You use this Hack once, You will start to use it over and over on every opportunity when You think that this is to hard ... in my opinion it's better to try finish this hard part as many times as You have to but do it in right way. When You feel angry, You want to throw the game throught the window ... just relax, go do something else, and come back again when You will calm down (maybe after 2-3 days).
balend
Game develpers have always put cheat codes in games, simply because there are people who use them. It makes the game fun if you just want to do everything instantly without playing through a multi hour campaign. I personally don't use them, because I like to actually play through the game and unlock everything myself instead of giving the credit to a cheat I used.
tamilparks
balend you are great, because even you have known the cheat codes, you are talenting your memory and interesting... congrulation
westcp
um well cheaters do win.

but i concur with most here. 'cheats' were put in the games for testing purposes.

testers have to play the same scenerios over and over again, so a cheat for infinite lives etc helps. imagine running through a 3 hours 'level' to test when u keep dying after your first minute? and you only want to test the fight with the boss?

that kind of thing. and yes they are left in the code and later exploited.

i sound like a hipocrit. i have used 'cheats' on games before. but many i cheated on I also won with cheats - wing commander 1 (great game!) and one of the quakes and warcraft 1 .

anyhow. thats just my two cents worht. in any event, try finish the game without cheating. you will get a great sense of accomplishment if you do. atlest i do.

cheers for now.
blk3
Aside from the obvious which is to 'cheat'. Developers usually put them as additionals to make gaming more intresting or different. Also a way to help those that are not so good in gaming.
tamilparks
very great information's thanks for all the members supplied the informations
Nebenator
I view cheat codes as tools for making machinima, or just for having fun (after you've beaten the game, itself).
joostvane
I use it for beating a game the second time and getting through to boring parts quickly.

I don't wanna stress out an hour at some lame ass part if I can just use the I win cheat for it.
TheOnionRack
Cheats are great when you are stuck on a level in a single player campaign. The developer mode for Sims 2 is awesome. I suppose cheats are just left in there after the devs use them, but who releases the cheats to the mainstream world. Do they just sort of get leaked? Or do they get discovered when game crackers start poking around and modifying things? That is a good indicator as to whether your game has been cracked.
ddukki
This might upset some hardcore gaming fans, but sometimes this is my 'excuse' for cheating.

I play games mostly for the gameplay, but I also play them for the storylines. I love RPGs and the stories and the deep philosophical issues that they address. But, alas, I'm also impatient, so sometimes when the game drags on for more than I'd like [100+ hours? Come ON!] I cheat my way out of grinding for eternity and carry on with the story.

Also, cheating helps me relieve stress sometimes. I used to play games cold-turkey [no cheats, no codes, no shortcuts], but I'm not a hardcore gamer. I'm a little more in-depth than the casual gamer, but I, again, don't want to spend countless hours on a game; that, to me, is not fun, it's mind-numbing repetitiveness. By cheating, I can unleash sword flinging fury and not worry about being killed before I get my stress out [which by the way, would create even more anger/stress].

I sometimes liken this to Movie watchers. Hardcore fans of Lord of the Rings will read the book, read the side-stories and such. Casual fans will wiki up source material and read short synopses on the internet. For people like me, who don't want to spend 20 hours reading each book, they'll watch the movie. It's all about how much fun you want to have and how long you want it to last.

[Disclaimer: I did read the whole LotR series. That was just an example ^_^]
Flakky
Cheating is something which I do not do unless I have finished the game before or I just feel like it. For example, Mercenaries, it would be fun to drop 6 nukes instead of 1 Razz Then I take 6 nukes but do not make a savegame or anything.
torboxz
David_Pardy wrote:
I used to cheat in games quite a lot when I was still young, but that was mainly because I ALWAYS played to win, and I used to die a lot quite easily back then Wink.

But as I grew up, my disdain for cheating grew quite dramatically, and now I rarely - if EVER - cheat. One notable exception is Duke Nukem 3d, which I've completed twice. The first time I completed it I encountered a bug where a door which was supposed to be triggered to open when you first walk near it didn't do so. So I had to use a no-clipping cheat to force it to open.

The other thing with Duke Nukem 3d was doing the God mode cheat, giving myself a ton of ammo, and then flying around shooting everything, just for the hell of it Very Happy

But seriously, I really hate unnecessary cheating. I DESPISE when people cheat or hack multiplayer games, because that's unfair to those of us who play legitimately. Mods that make things a bit quicker and easier are fine, but things that break the rules of the game to give players an unfair edge is cheating and people who do should be smacked in the head Wink.

Me too, I could care less if people using cheat codes for single player games as I cheat a lot using Gamewiz32 but when it comes to multiplayer or mass multiplayer, any cheaters should be banned, no question asked.
hamza1122
A lot of people think that cheat codes are wrong as they are not the right way to play a game or something like that, other people think its ok to use them because its just some sort of assitance which allows you to unlock special powers or levels etc.

Cheat codes are also very fun because you are able to do things that you can't without them such as unlimited power and possible unlock new weapons. However, cheatc codes can also ruin the game as it takes out the gaming experience!
enygmasoft
hamza1122 wrote:
A lot of people think that cheat codes are wrong as they are not the right way to play a game or something like that, other people think its ok to use them because its just some sort of assitance which allows you to unlock special powers or levels etc.

Cheat codes are also very fun because you are able to do things that you can't without them such as unlimited power and possible unlock new weapons. However, cheatc codes can also ruin the game as it takes out the gaming experience!

I am certainly in agreement, if anything cheat codes add more fun .to most games, but that is something i like to save up for a second time thru any games,
Dean_The_Great
Yeah, I use the cheats generally after I've played through a game just so I can rock it out. Like being a full powered Jedi in the first level of Jedi Outcast. Good times.
kingpurple
i use cheat some times but only if i cant do a bit of my game
teachmetmc
For game addicts, cheat codes helps you finish a game faster so that you can go back to doing your homework!!! Hahaha...