FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Matthew Hughes

ddukki
He wrote Majestrum and the Spiral Labyrinth, both of which are great mystery novels in Sherlock Holmes style. The story line is complex, but not confusing and the dialogue is witty and fun. I know it sounds like just about every review, but these books are worth reading.

The story basically starts out with a "Discriminator" or detective named Henghis Hapthorn who is trying to get used to the fact that his world of rationality is being pushed out by a world of magic. It doesn't really help that his "Integrator" [kind of like a personal robotic assistant] has transformed into a speaking, intelligent rodent, and his mind has created a new persona out of his intuitive faculties. The two novels expand upon his adventures.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't read any of his other books, but I've just bought Gist Hunter and Other Stories; which I am hoping have as much wit as the others.

The books are very smart and reasonably mature in its philosophies without burdening the reader with heavy thinking. Check him out.