FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bonsai kitten bad, bonsai tree good, why?

ocalhoun
Even though it was a hoax and never really happened, the 'bonsai kitten' pictures raised an outrage from people who thought a kitten was being abused.

My question is, why is doing the same thing to a tree any different?
blackheart
I suppose for the same reason cutting down a tree isn't considered murder, and isn't colloquially referred to as "killing" - plants aren't sentient beings (whereas animals are).
Bannik
blackheart wrote:
I suppose for the same reason cutting down a tree isn't considered murder, and isn't colloquially referred to as "killing" - plants aren't sentient beings (whereas animals are).

did you not see the happening trees are alive and they are coming to get us
prithvi
Bannik wrote:
blackheart wrote:

Where shall we hide? Not even the desert

..........the cactii will prick our a** with their thorns.
PatTheGreat42
Because there's no such thing as LOLTrees.
Liu
Are you honestly comparing putting a tree in a jar to a kitten?
ocalhoun
Liu wrote:
Are you honestly comparing putting a tree in a jar to a kitten?

Yes I am. What's the fundamental difference?
James007
With a bit more background information, more people would be able to contribute to this topic. I remember this vaguely, please tell me more about this.
psycosquirrel
blackheart wrote:

Blackheart's response summarized it correctly.

You also must think of it this way -- cats are considered pets. We care for them as though they were another member of the family. Therefore, it is a big deal if one is mistreated. Even other animals, such as chickens, cows, or pigs, would not have as big of outcry as with the "bonzai kitten."

Now, between sentient mammals, it could be argued that it would all be equally morally incorrect for any single creature to be a "bonzai mammal." But, saying that a plant, completely unaware of its environment on a sentient level, would be equally wrong as a sentient mammal is silly.

The suggestion parallels the thought of euthanizing a tree "suffering" from a terminal disease. It simply makes no sense!
goutha
I guess because a kitten must go to toilet, not a tree.
psycosquirrel
Shocked
raine dragon
There is a biological line of separation. The kitten is hurt by such things, trees on the other hand can benefit from pruning.
Liu
ocalhoun wrote:

Yes I am. What's the fundamental difference?

Fundamental difference? There are huge biological differences - or were you not paying attention in school?

You might as well compare cutting down a tree on the same level as cutting a cat in half which is exactly what you're suggesting.
shikukustars
if plant-life are seen to have feelings then i think vegans are mass murders and r hypocrites for calling omnivores inhumane ergo i think that plant life dont have feelings and vegans can continue hatin me for eatin meat
ocalhoun
Liu wrote:

You might as well compare cutting down a tree on the same level as cutting a cat in half which is exactly what you're suggesting.

What if it is on the same level?

James007 wrote:
With a bit more background information, more people would be able to contribute to this topic. I remember this vaguely, please tell me more about this.

The tree:

The kitten (a hoax, but still created outrage):

It just strikes me that the line we draw between the two is arbitrary, and the differences in what was done (or pretended to be done) to both are not great.
icecool
who says that trees and plants don't feel?

are we also saying that dolphines don't communicate?
a great many people think they are.
alot of research has gone into it that proves it.
BUT
us humans don't UNDERSTAND what they are saying.
so.
does this mean that we a thick?
or just have a limited range or perception. and what WE perceive MUST be right. right?

lets go back a while, say 500 or 1000 years and look at some of the old cultures. plants were held in the same high esteem than animals - including us humans.

i wonder what THEY knew that WE have forgotten in our high-tech "civilised" ignorance.

cheers
truespeed
In a similar vein ,the Chinese used to bind young girls feet at an early age to limit there growth.

There are other examples (eg: the corset) whereby an article of clothing has been used to limit,or change the body shape of a particular body part.
Gonzalo
Well, I evidentially can not avoid this area of action.

Bonsai watermelons and special bonsai body cultivation is not the same at a reality level, we may consider it right or wrong but we can not get the point straight to a global point of examination. We are all acquainted with the authenticity that any misplacement of freedom, from growth to social, has a unease feeling of immoral challenge.

Think that even vegetarians modify the living cells of yeast for making and eating bread or any sort of the kind. Of course it’s for ingestion, not for visual pleasure. Thou I had a period of boiling bananas just for making extreme ikebana house ornaments. Was I doing wrong?

Anyway, always remember that women’s pregnancy lasts 9 months opposite to men, whose belly developing starts at 30 (even sooner) and never ends.

Dr Stupid.
hofodomo01
icecool wrote:
who says that trees and plants don't feel?

Easy question. We do: the global community as a whole. Whether or not they all care is another question, but no doubt at least some of these people also feel bothered =/
James_Hicks
As far as I know, trees do not have central nervous systems and cats do. The cats will feel pain. Sort of like foot binding for those ol' school Chinese women. If trees do feel pain then we're all just sick bastards. I personally think they do. They wouldn't have cell walls if it could survive without danger of infection and infections usually trigger pain and alerts the host to fight back.
Jmanamj
You know what I want to see? I wanna see bonsai horses. Just stick a foal in a sturdy fish tank and feed it oatmeal. Then when it gets bigger you could attach wheels and an inefficient gasoline motor to it then "ride" through an Earth Day parade. Twisted Evil

Hehe if your friend has one you could do jousting matches.

Laughing
KronikSindrome
I like the bonsi horse idea...that's hawt.

anyway.....seriously? because trees aren't cute
n fluffy and bleed and scream when you cut into them with chainsaws....

that is why I would bonsi my tree before my cat.

that and because if I tried to stuff my cat in a jar
he would probably claw my feckin eyes out.....

the tree doesn't have claws.
goutha
I have two bonsai kitten at home. They are breautiful Smile
tony
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Because there's no such thing as LOLTrees.

hahaha; I am envisioning a new website now :p
ocalhoun
Jmanamj wrote:
You know what I want to see? I wanna see bonsai horses. Just stick a foal in a sturdy fish tank and feed it oatmeal. Then when it gets bigger you could attach wheels and an inefficient gasoline motor to it then "ride" through an Earth Day parade. Twisted Evil

Hehe if your friend has one you could do jousting matches.

Laughing

*sigh*
Trolls.

Oh well, this thread is going downhill fast, so why not?
Liu
Given the choice to stuff a tree in a jar for the rest of its life or a kitten, are you honestly saying that's a hard decision for you to make? There is no difference between stuffing a cat in a jar, than a tree in comparison?
Jmanamj
I'm sure if you google "cat in jar" you would find something worth a laugh.

I didn't mean to troll earlier, I was just being a bit sarcastic with my post in an effort to lighten up the topic. I don't think anyone in their right mind considers a bonsai tree as offensive as the idea of a cat grown to the shape of a jar.

If you want to know why...I'd say it has something to do with the eyes. If you can look a living thing in the eyes there is a lot more connection than something like a plant, or even a sea cucumber. I don't feel very bad squeezing and tossing those around because they are a fleshy lump of flesh with a hole-and no eyes to look at me with the universal expression of "please don't hurt me Crying or Very sad ."
Rico
ocalhoun wrote:
Even though it was a hoax and never really happened, the 'bonsai kitten' pictures raised an outrage from people who thought a kitten was being abused.

My question is, why is doing the same thing to a tree any different?

Plants aren’t sentient.
Nameless
blackheart wrote:

QFT, and that's a clear distinction, hardly arbitrary. No conscious = no ability to feel pain = nothing wrong.

prithvi wrote:
Bannik wrote:
Where shall we hide? Not even the desert

..........the cactii will prick our a** with their thorns.

QFlols. Laughing
loonix
Lol Photoshop has a lot to answer for I see =)

OP I can understand where your coming from however :p
karysky
I agree with many people here. Trees have no nervous system, therefore, no thoughts, no feelings, no emotions... no pain. They're alive, but have no conscience of their surroundings.

Would you stop eating all together because you wouldn't kill animals and plants?