FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

EA: Hate it, Love it?

Hate or Love EA?
Yes, l love'm
31%
 31%  [ 9 ]
HATE THEM!!!!!!
37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
drool
31%
 31%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 29

misterXY
Do you hate Electronic Art (EA) or love them?
l'm in a bit of a mess with them, they screwed the simcity line forever, but also makes madden... Sad
lastelement0
EA annoys the crap out of me. i absoultely HATE that they are the ones with the license to NFL players. it means they have no real need to innovate when it comes to madden. because they KNOW that people will buy it every year. it drives me insane.

i thought nfl2k5 was so much better than that years madden. hence them buying out. the game is still ok...but competition is what they need. simply buying people out allows them to just put out crap games, year in and year out.
warriorpoets
Yep. I've seen many good titles turn to crap when EA dug their claws into it. SimCity 3000 was awesome, but everything I've seen of that line afterwards was pure meh. I'm hoping that they don't somehow mess over Bioware and make KotOR:Online suck. I could think of a million ways that game can rock...but I probably won't see it, especially since EA owns Bioware now. Sad

I'm still hoping though.
misterXY
Yeah EA also owns the NHL rights as well, practically all rights, it's bullshit but smart. Cause people will always buy it so they'll never go bankrupt in that field, unless someone can make a game and just make it similar to the actual players but leave it to the point where they can do abosutely shit about. Or if people will just stop buying EA period.
catscratches
I don't really hate them, I just think that they've never really made any good game. Just licensed boring sport games and crappy film games. The best they've made is the Command & Conquer series (which lost my interest after just some hours of gameplay).
Magicman
EA does own the video game rights to so many sports and films. It actually does seem like a bit of a monopoly. However, I tend to enjoy many of EAs games.
absolution
Ive never had a real problem with EA games althought they are buying out the competition atm. I do enjoy most of there sporting games including fifa and madden.
Vladalf
I personally hate Electronic Arts and all big companies like this in the game development market. They buy allmost all the indie game development studios and screw their projects. Also they have to big of an influence over other publishers and if an indie studio dosen't accept their offer they can say goodbye to having their game published...

-Vladalf
_AVG_
I don't think Electronic Arts are that bad ... neither are they extra-ordinary ... you ought to add a "Neutral" option on the vote ...
gugusm
Yeah, neutral, but I don't play any of their games anymore...
silversurf3r
I love EA because of NFS Series. It brings out the need for speed
Zombie
I also love the need for speed series which is made by ea
Starrfoxx
For The Sims 2 series, the quality of games have gone downhill since after Seasons. Ever since "Maxis" was bumped out of the picture, EA's efforts have been so-so. Although Bon Voyage, Freetime, and the new Apartment Life are great additions to the game, they are not as good as they could have been. The Sims 2 Online Store is a rip off and a contradiction on their "stance" on pay sites.

Sims 3 does not have Maxis behind it at all, and although it looks promising.... looks can be deceiving.

The Sims Online was going through a revitalizaiton effort and was gaining new subscribers. Just when it was finally beginning to turn around, EA killed it. And people were promised a $15 coupon for the EA Store, and most didn't get it.

SimCity Societies was not very successful, and many went back to SimCity 4 or earlier.

Spore, I think will be successful, however. It has Will Wright behind it and Maxis. It also has SecuRom, which is another big controversy with people.

I could ramble on.
Jmanamj
EA Games is quite a bit like Microsoft. Just too much of a monopoly an a penchant for buying out the competition so they can keep releasing sub par games that people have to buy if they want to play certain genres (like sports genres as has already been noted). I enjoy the Battlefield series' mod scene and it's pretty unanimous that EA sucks at delivering the tools necessary to easily make a good modification.

Not to mention how they (through Digital Illusions) hired a popular Battlefield 1942 mod team to make Battlefield 2, then shut them down and dumbed it down to what it is now.

>.<

But then, that same team regrouped and made Frontlines: Fuel of War, though you dont hear about it as much as EA titles. :p
eday2010
I don't care either way. I buy a game if it's good. If it happens to be an EA game, then so be it. I don't like football, so the fact that they have exclusive rights to the NFL and NFLPA doesn't affect me, though I am glad they don't have the same exclusive rights on the NHL and NHLPA. I think EA is a bit too big for anyone's good, but as long as they make some good games, I am not that concerned.
David_Pardy
Hmmm, tough question.

I dislike ALL unfair business practises, especially when small companies are being screwed over.

But at the same time, I own (going off the Wikipedia list):

LHX: Attack Chopper
Skate or Die
Chuck Yeager's Air Combat
Dune 2000
Hi-Octane
Simcity 3000 Unlimited
Theme Hospital (one of my favourite games EVER)
Fifa International Soccer (1994 version, got me into the Fifa games)
Command and Conquer
Dungeon Keeper 2
Fifa 2006 (which I'm loving!)
NFSU:2 (best NFS game I've ever played)
NFS:Carbon (Not as good as U2, but ok I suppose)
misterXY
After EA forcing this SecuRom shit, I'm officially boy-cotting ALL Ea and there sub-divisions, yes they make break through in games, but now there just owning the gaming business. They games are being downloaded because no one wants a game that if it has issues to begin with, they won't fix your legal game and release a updated version for which you have to buy...

Like this is unbelievably this most untrustworthy thing for them too do. Plus, if they do, remove the SecruRom from Spore that they will just release new versions without it (and possibly with a different controversial method of CRM) they'll just make you buy that one or charge you a fee for the removal tool, at this stage where they're heading, it won't be surprising...

If they don't want people pirating at the content they do, lower your prices ( older games are still a tad high for what they're worth, and they don't do any updates for), make you're games with no patches needed (go through the codes and plays like nuts before release), and if you need a patch then release it for everyone and not make it a well, you bought a shitty one, here buy this same game, but with two new effects " Less money in your wallet, and a patch"

And removing the original developers is a stupid idea, keep them if the fans enjoy them, look at the simcity for societies for references...

Until then, ****** you ea
DarkJad
Some things are good; some are bad. EA helps publish some great games and their defense of Mass Effect during the Sexbox scandal was good. Other things, such as closing servers for recent games (Burnout Revenge) is bad.
blk3
I hate their sports games, but then again I hate sports games in general. But their racing games are some of my favorites.
RosenCruz
they were the best on early 90's with sports games and some console games..then they got monopolic..and lost the spirit
schooldays
Not a big fan, they've made quite a few games that are simply just money-grabbers, regardless of quality, like the James Bond tie-ins. But to be fair, there are quite a few games they've made that I liked a lot.
ddukki
I don't hate them. They make some good quality games, and I think that's the key to their success. Now, if you hate them because you think they're taking over the gaming industry unjustly, read up on capitalism. It's what business does. And yes, the gaming industry is a business. I don't like monopolies as much as the next guy, but EA tends to do things well. Leave them alone until they screw up in the QUALITY of the game. Not some DRM Bulls*** that pirates are crying about.
Fire Boar
ddukki wrote:
Leave them alone until they screw up in the QUALITY of the game.

*points to several of the other posts in this topic*

ddukki wrote:
Not some DRM Bulls*** that pirates are crying about.

Actually, the pirates don't care. They got Spore 2 days before the rest of us, without DRM. They're happy. It's the legitimate customers who are being kicked in the balls by DRM's stupid restrictive policies, and that's what makes me dislike EA as of late. For example, only 3 installs? What about those who re-install their operating system every 6 months to keep it snappy? That allows only a year and a half of play on ONE computer.

It has never been a more attractive option to pirate commercial software than now. Arr...
roninmedia
I agree with an earlier poster about how they lost their spirit once they monopolized some of the gaming industry. In the heyday of Madden, when they had competition from other series, they produced great quality Madden games for all kinds of systems. Now, there is hardly any change from year to year on Madden except rosters. The PC versions of the game have been less than stellar and they didn't even bring it to the PC this year. Even before, they produced a series of great sports games that received a high amount of praise. Now, the only sports series they make I think is still great is FIFA and that's mostly of a consequence as the most recent versions of Winning Eleven have been subpar compared to other games at the time of it's predecessors.

I definitely think some of their other works have had better results than say the Madden Series but it's been a while for me since an EA game has just amazed me and made it beomce a must have to me. Spore seems like their great thing though.
misterXY
Fire Boar wrote:

ddukki wrote:
Not some DRM Bulls*** that pirates are crying about.

Actually, the pirates don't care. They got Spore 2 days before the rest of us, without DRM. They're happy. It's the legitimate customers who are being kicked in the balls by DRM's stupid restrictive policies, and that's what makes me dislike EA as of late. For example, only 3 installs? What about those who re-install their operating system every 6 months to keep it snappy? That allows only a year and a half of play on ONE computer.

It has never been a more attractive option to pirate commercial software than now. Arr...

Aye mate.

avast, a good day to be arr pirate! Very Happy
martin91
i really like EA just because you get your cdkey in a mail and don't need too order home the whole game if you going to start play a mmorpg..
just bought WAR from them and started too play one hour after i bought it!

//
martin
enygmasoft
My only real complaint is that EA is the microsoft of video games, which means they have no one but themselves to compete with, which can only serve to degrade the quility of games being produced by them. I cant deny that merceneries 2 ruLES.
Nebenator
I don't hate it or love it. I like it, but not that much. It's a pretty strong third party developer, but has blundered a couple times... ok, a lot.
Seiji
They pretty much destroyed the 007 games. I've been done with Madden for a couple of years now, last one I fully completed was Madden 2005 on the Gamecube. When they release games, they usually come with a load of bugs.
Nutteloos
I think people are a little biased when it comes to EA. They're doing their best to fix their image, right now. They're on the right track with Warhammer Online right now, offering frequent updates, generally doing their best to make it work.

To be honest, my opinion of EA wasn't too great in the last few years, but I think we should give them a chance to recover. They're trying.
Project01
love it, because of is adventuries games... very cool...
achowles
Loathe would be a better word, but I voted hate as it's closest to how I feel about them. Since they introduced draconian DRM, which they describe as an anti-piracy measure, I've effectively boycotted them and their games.

They claim that the DRM is there to stop piracy, but let's look at a few things:
1. DRM doesn't affect pirates at all as it's removed before the game is made available. So paying customers are plagued with it and pirates get a far more functional version. How is that anti-piracy?
2. The answer is: it isn't. Hence why Spore is the most pirated game in history. Even those who would have gladly paid money for it are being forced to download it instead if they want to play it.
3. The DRM is clearly not even meant to be an anti-piracy measure as having an activation limit - so if you have to reinstall the game, you come closer to your copy becoming a coaster - is only a means of restricting consumer rights and not affecting piracy.
4. EA has a lawsuit filed against it claiming that its DRM is effectively a rootkit. All things considered, that's a strong case.
5. The DRM goes so far that in some titles copies aren't readable on certain brands of DVD drive because the DRM doesn't 'like' it.

So yeah, they're making their games unplayable and forcing people to consider piracy if they want to play EA games at all. Beyond stupid.
zyd666
i don't hate them but i don't love them
but the last fifa (09) was horrible!!!!
joomla
they made false promises to me. been EA customer for years.
However this time they have gone too far. Been bugging them for my RA3 beta for months and they kept telling me to wait patiently. After 7 months they suddenly tell me that my spamfilter ate my code.
I am using GMail so it is very hard to loose a message!

I really HATE them for it. Go get someone elses money.
Flakky
My experiences with EA learned me that their security for illegal copying is way too complicated that I had trouble installing the game for weeks. I can't just call their services because it's expensive and probably tell me that I should do exactly what I should do what is written in the manual, which I've done. I end up downloading the games I bought anyway. Which really sucks.
stel4e
I don't care - > I love them !!! Smile
misterXY
Nutteloos wrote:
I think people are a little biased when it comes to EA. They're doing their best to fix their image, right now. They're on the right track with Warhammer Online right now, offering frequent updates, generally doing their best to make it work.

To be honest, my opinion of EA wasn't too great in the last few years, but I think we should give them a chance to recover. They're trying.

Trying? How about them stop trying to max > quality? Not gonna happen! 007 Was amazing.. Madden was good before they over-burned the yearly releases with basically, just names being changed. Infact, l don't see them changing much, sometimes they do alot, which is also horrible. But like l said, there mindset is max profit > quality.
spinout
since the closure of Motor city online - I really hate them!!!!! Let em burn !
misterXY
spinout wrote:
since the closure of Motor city online - I really hate them!!!!! Let em burn !

wasn't making a subsnational profit, surprised they'd close it? there not for the gamers.
andersonic
I'm glad they didn't purchase Rockstar and murder the GTA series.

Some of their games are OK, some are very good like TS3.. but I think they don't really care about what gamers want, only what the board wants.. licenses from sports and movies to make money.
traxion
EA the life story

EA buys everybody and release the games from alot of small studios with the EA logo.

the games are often crap, but there are some diamonds in the big load of games from EA. FIFA, burnout, dead space, mirros (the jump game), rest of the sport games (they just look very oke), spore.. i can go on for a while

but EA kills also game-series like, simcity and Need for speed. but without EA there wasn't even a game-serie to crash.

so EA makes and breaks some. thankgod i dont need to buy every title of EA so i can just select the good one.
Starrfoxx
I hate them, because they have no respect for the customer. Games should be fun, but instead you have to fuss with SecuRom and DRM and poor programming. Spore was supposed to be the "savior" of EA in 2008. It failed. Sims 3 is supposed to save EA in 2009. I'm not holding out any hope.
Prasad007
Both poll options are rather so extremist Razz I don't have such strong opinions....
misterXY
Starrfoxx wrote:
I hate them, because they have no respect for the customer. Games should be fun, but instead you have to fuss with SecuRom and DRM and poor programming. Spore was supposed to be the "savior" of EA in 2008. It failed. Sims 3 is supposed to save EA in 2009. I'm not holding out any hope.

unfortunately l am too... Sad
desonium
I like the ea games especially the fifa-series and the need for speed games.
So I love them.
Fake
Well obviously love them
The titles they make can be replicated, but not perfercted

They did what no one else do, and once they show how it's gone, copy cats come in..
misterXY
Fake wrote:
Well obviously love them
The titles they make can be replicated, but not perfercted

They did what no one else do, and once they show how it's gone, copy cats come in..

But they also bought out many other great companies and made sure no one can come in.