FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ever been stuck in an elevator?

TurtleShell
So at my new office, the building is beautiful but the elevator is a faulty piece of junk. It seems to break down every day. I'm certain it's only a matter of time before I'm stuck in the elevator. i like to think I would be calm. In fact, I fantasize I'd have a little while and i'd take the time to read a book, if I had one with me. I never get into this elevator if I have to go to the bathroom.

So my question: have any of you ever been in a stuck elevator? What did you do? Were you scared? how long did it take you to get out?

For those of you who never have been in this situation: what would you do if you were stuck in an elevator?
Zombie
I've never been stuck on an elevator, but I've always been scared of that happening to me!
apple
I have never been stuck but I'm sure I'd freak out!
James007
I'm sorry but talking about being stuck in elevators doesn't really have a point.

I don't really see any other replies then "Yes, and I was a bit scared."

-close-
James007
Reopened after discussion Smile

-opened-
psycosquirrel
Laughing

I haven't been. It would be odd though.

I'm not sure if I'd be scared or not. The thought of being in a room suspended from a cable, with the possibility of the cable breaking, while the entire apparatus is stuck seems scary. I'm sure they have a stopping mechanism in case the cable breaks to prevent the elevator from falling to its (and its passengers) demise...
TurtleShell
I'm sure they do too. However, it doesn't seem to always work. There's an extensive list on wikipedia of elevator accidents in recent years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator
goutha
yeah once. I an old building with an old elevator.

A person opened the doors with hand and I came out.

I find out that it happens every day and people were used to that Smile
raine dragon
I've never been stuck in one myself, but some people were stuck in the one in my appartment building when the power went out. The maintenance crew had to get them out. >.>;

If I was stuck in an elevator I'd probably sing. That way people could hear me and wouldn't forget I was in there, and it would occupy my time. ^_^'
misterXY
nope, l take stairs. HELP I'M STUCK IN THE STAIRS! is a less likely help call you'll hear
cahdecah
HEH , let me give ya some advices friends:

First of all, check to see that you haven't thrown the emergency stop switch. Some older elevators I've seen actually have a toggle switch with two positions, STOP and RUN, which could have accidentally been frobnicated.

Try pushing a floor button, or the door open button. Some intelligent elevator controllers will put a car to sleep when not in use, which causes the floor buttons to be disabled... however, the door open button WILL be functional. You'll probably never wind up in a disabled car unless you did something silly like prying the doors open from the outside (patience, grasshopper).

Look for a functional emergency telephone. If these fail, make noise, and LOTS OF IT. Ring the alarm bell... a lot. Ring an "SOS" on it, or just hold the button down. Shout, bang on the walls, YODEL! This will soon get someone's attention.

It is VERY unlikely that a malfunctioning elevator will fall; on traction elevators, a mechanical governor will apply the car's brakes if it tries to descend too fast, no matter what goes wrong in the controller, or even if the cables break. Hydraulic elevators are nearly incapable of falling.

Don't try to climb out into the shaft; that little hatch on the top of the elevator that you always see people climb through in the movies is locked or bolted shut from the outside of the elevator car. This is not really a bad thing, considering that the elevator you are in may be stuck... but others in the same elevator shaft may NOT. Getting crushed by two thousand pounds of steel moving at a few hundred feet per minute can ruin your whole day.

If you can see light between the elevator doors, you're at least partially lined up with a floor. This is definitely a good thing .A particular evil elevator that's failed on me several times has, both times, gotten stuck at a point almost perfectly aligned with the floor, give or take about five inches. In this case, the process of removing you from the elevator may simply involve a maintenance worker using a special elevator key in the exterior door's keyhole, and manually opening the elevator car's doors. In most other cases, the elevator can be moved by manual operation of the relays in the elevator controller.

If you are in an elevator and the building's fire alarm trips, it is quite likely that it will stop whatever it's doing and descend nonstop to the first floor, awaiting being placed in fire service. This is normal, but may take a long time in taller buildings. The doors will open when it gets there. Alternately, the elevator may simply stop at the next floor, open its doors, and go dead. NEVER attempt to leave a building via elevator in case of a fire; not only can you be trapped in an elevator that fails, but you will also probably wind up waiting for an elevator that has shut itself down and put itself out of service.

Finally, something you should not try at home: Sometimes a hydraulic elevator of a certain craptacular brand I will not mention here will have trouble levelling. This particular brand of elevator is also equipped with a REALLY crappy door operator that can be easily pried open by hand. Sometimes the levelling fails, and the doors don't open. In this case, I just push the doors open a little to see if it's close enough; if so, I just give it a good shove the rest of the way and walk off as if nothing ever happened.

Let me know Smile
TurtleShell
how do you know so much about elevators?
cahdecah
im working with them thats why
benje
YES AND IT WAS SCARY
[FuN]goku
Well, no not yet. If an elevator ever starts to mess up (goes to wrong floor when its supposed to go to only one other) then thats when i get off at the current floor and take the stairs. I'm dead terrified of elevators , in fact, i always take the stairs unless i have a reason not to.

Lately i've been visiting my grandmother in the hospital cuz she had surgury for appendicitis, and .. well i had an accident at work where i dropped a pallet on my foot, and it's hard to walk, so lately i've been taking the elevator.

But normally i'll take the stairs.
joostvane
Once, but I was saved very quickly. Just a hint: whatever you do, do NOT try to get out of the elevator at all for your own safety. On vacation to Turkey, elevators also broke down daily. And a 10 year old kid, who was using the elevator on its own without an adult, climbed out. He was stuck, OUTSIDE of the elevator, in the elevator schaft. The elevator could go up any minute and they had to use an emergency stop to save the kids life... After 20 minutes they decided to broke out the glass window and get the kid out.

Whatever you do! Just ring the bell and yell out loud, but do not get out Razz
Crinoid
Never, but where I used them on regular basis, it was a very uncommon occurrence, and here, at NA, I'm not frequently using them. Luck or another life? Laughing
tony
aww, turtleshell. my old job was like that too - but i never actually got stuck. many, many times though the elevator would be out of service; many steps to walk!!
Subaru
I have been stuck few times for short amount of time because we was uhm testing doors with friend xD that was funny and a bit scary but only a bit when he couldn't once open the door again Laughing
Nice experience Cool
Radar
No, but I am intrigued by the idea. Also how your reaction would differ if you were stuck with other people vs being stuck by yourself.

Thanks cahdecah for the spiel about elevator workings! Nice to know what would probably happen, without actually having to go through to the experience to find out.
Genesiz
If that ever happened to me, i think i'd probably end up fainting on the floor. I am incredibly claustrophobic, just the thought of being stuck makes me shiver.

Anyone else here like that, or would i be the only one unconscious on the floor Embarassed Wink
Liques
No... I don't know too what I could do Sad
smspno
Generally I try to avoid using elevators because I'm a bit afraid of small rooms. As a result I have never been stuck in any elevator yet Razz.
Agent ME
If I was stuck in an elevator, I'd just start listening to my mp3 player and maybe try to take a nap after I've done what I could (hit door open button, emergency button, or called someone on cellphone). Maybe try to make small talk with the other people onboard? It would suck to need to go to the bathroom though.
vineeth
Yes, I do. When I was in Kuwait and at that time I was in a small class... Got stuck for a few hours...
mrcool
Hmm...i have never been stuck in the elevator but if it will happen...ill be scared and ill be screaming until i have not got out in that elevator. I won't stop screaming and shouting...
Idoru
Yup, I got stuck in an elevator once with a friend. It was one of those models in glass, hanging outside the
building. It also had an emergency-phone, so we picked it up and talked to someone. So, we sat down and
talked a bit. None of us had a watch, but we kept track of time by counting the buses below. After an hour nothing
had happened, so we rang again, and talked to someone surprised that we still were stuck there.
Shortly after that an 'elevator-repair-guy' showed up, and we were free again. Smile

So, the story is what we did, scared, no, but mad of the negligence. Think it was about an hour we sat there,
and I hope it won't happen again, even if it wasn't so bad.
Jmanamj
I swear, everytime i read this thread title I read it: "Ever been struck by an elevator?" I then do a double take and read it again carefully.

How exactly would you get struck by and elevator anyways? Wrench open the doors and stick your head into the shaft to see what floor it's on?

I would be fine if I got stuck on an elevator. Unless I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, I have an amazing capacity to stand idly, perfectly content with my thoughts.
Idoru
Lol @ Jmanamj Laughing
But then again, actually, I remember an incident from the house I lived in as a kid. About ten floors high,
and there was two teenage kids playing with the elevator. One decided to ride it on the roof, and climbed up.
It was an old model, so you could do that. The deal was that his friend was going to push the button, but he waited
and waited, and nothing happened. Finally he got tired of waiting, and leaned down to get inside the elevator again.
At the same time an other resident pushes the button to the elevator, and this game becomes the last this
teen ever played...
Not really struck by the elevator as torn apart by it, but close enough.
My dad saw to it that we moved from that house to a one without elevator quite fast.
amitniec
yes i have been struck in elevator.

it was a scary moment of my life because one never know when the elevator would start again.

i was alone at that time when the electricity went off. but it was for very short time that i was struck in the elevator. But it was a very frightining moment of my life.
pashmina
Well, for the record I been stuck for only 2 minutes when power went out. It was not fun, as the elevator was packed and it was starting to heat up.
James007
amitniec wrote:
been struck in elevator.

That's also a possibility! Very Happy

Being stuck in an elevator..
Being struck by an elevator...
Being struck in an elevator...

Really, elevators are dangerous things.
sondosia
Where I used to take ballet classes, the elevator was really old and crappy and sometimes got stuck. It was kind of a commonplace thing. Some people really freaked out about it, but most didn't because we knew that it'd start again soon, or some of the building staff would realize it was stuck. It's important not to panic.
friuser
I think being stuck in the elevator is no big deal. Unless of course you are scared of enclosed spaces. However recently I've been in elevators which would make me go crazy if I was stuck there for longer than a minute. Those usually come from subway elevators (have you smelled urine in a humid and hot subway?). You just gotta try it. Imagine getting stuck there for a long period of time.
Donutey
I've never been stuck in one, but I've heard the most common reason for them stopping is overloading (too much weight, then the emergency brakes come on). Which generally sucks because not only are you stuck in an elevator, but it's probably completely full of people.

On a side note I really, really hate people who press all the buttons on an elevator. My apartment is on the 5th floor of a 14 story building. I would normally go up the stairs if someone did that, but unfortunately, the stairwell doors are locked after 4pm (you can still exit the building through them, lol fire-hazard otherwise).
Cwspartacus
ive been quite lucky not to be stuck in one i guess but i guess id be fine , not that bad with tight spaces
MOISHI3
to much times...my sister was stucked in a elevator and we was waiting and tring to "save" her
we asked her:
what is a starts in "e" and its stuck
and she said
the elevator that im in it!
thats was funny~!XD

i am Moshe
not who you think i am
but yahe i am
Silk2008
Once, I was working as a Temp for a mortgage company in southern California. At the time I was studying to get a real estate license. Since I was stuck I just sat down and started reading my study material. 2 Hours later the fire department showed up and let us out. One of the gentleman stuck in there with me noticed me studying and offered me job with his mortgage company. I ended up working for him for a year and a half. It's easy to forget how much the human body can stink until your stuck in a small box for a couple of hours. But all turned out well.
Arty
Never happened to me before. D: I did hear about one guy who got stuck in an elevator for 36 hours. Man, felt sorry for him. Sad
Kaseas
Having lived in an apartment building most of my life, I'm pretty used to them. I was born in Russia, and I remember the elevator in my building not working half the time. I clearly remember the elevator getting stuck halfway between floors, and having to climb up and out.

So now I'm pretty fearless when it comes to being in a box box suspended 18 floors above the ground in a long shaft.
j_f_k
luckily never however speaking of elevators that are a piece of junk - you would think that an office building of a mere 7 floors with 6 lifts to service it there would be no problems with the lifts (and may of the floors having stairs between them) - but you'd be wrong.

come 9am on a weekday and the front foyer has a queue that could rival the ones at Six Flags for the rollercoaster on a sunny sunday afternoon. all the people want to do is get to their floors!

So they changed the lift control mechanism with a really weird one - in each lobby you don't press up or down, but rather you have a numeric keypad and you enter the floor you want to do to = it then tells which of the 6 lifts to get into.

when you get into the lift the first thing you notice is that it is missing buttons for hte floors. it knows where to take you so you get in and just go for the ride.

It was very weird when introduced and not without problems but it has cut down on the horrible queuing times.
chyron_8472
Never been stuck in one before, but I bet if I were stuck in one for longer than 15 minutes, I would pry the doors open.
Wolf1918
I was actually stuck in an elevator three in my life.

Once was in the main library downtown (I won't say what city, it was a long time ago). My uncle and I were both in the elevator together and there was also a very old man in there with us. The elevator stopped but the doors didn't open, we didn't know if we were at a floor or between floors. After a few minutes when the doors still didn't open the older guy started to get really panicky, getting pale and breathing hard. My uncle took hold of one side of the door and I took the other and we were able to pry the doors open. We were stopped perfectly, the way the elevator should have stopped, the doors just didn't open right. There was a crowd of people standing there staring when we opened the doors and got out.

The second time I got stuck in an elevator in the building where I worked. One of those rickety old things. This elevator was so old that it still had to have an elevator operator to work it. It broke down one afternoon while I was going out for lunch and we were stuck for almost two hours waiting for the repair man to come get us out.

The third time I was with my wife in a department store in Manhattan, we were in the elevator when an alarm went off and the elevator stopped. That was a sudden jolting stop! We had no idea what was happening! A few times the elevator started and stopped again but they got us out after about 20 minutes. Good thing too, there was a pregnant woman in there with us!

I'm not afraid of elevators but given a choice I'd rather take an escalator.

Chad
Rajiev
Not me Smile

But one of my friends stuck in a elevator :0

We went to a competition in a girls School in a Sunday. It was around 8pm when it happened. we were coming back after the competition and My friend stayed for the next turn for the elevator.

We were waiting for him in the ground floor but he didn't come.

After few mins, a call came and he said he is stuck. We told the Staff of the school and they came to rescue.

Only then they said that this elevator is not functioning well, so they don't use it. It stuck very often. But they didn't put a notice what so ever X(
bonestorm74
I haven't. I've got a couple of work mates who have though, and now they won't go into elevators here at work at all. They'd rather walk. Me, I'll continue to take my chances I think. It wouldn't be too terrible to be stuck for 20-30 mins, longer than that wouldn't be too pleasant though I'd imagine.
evilryu530
yes i have been stuck in an elevator before, it was cool, just standing there and doing nothing.
dcfive65
Being stuck in an elevator in my opinion, is very scary especially if the elevator is populated to max capacity. Cool air quickly diminishes and the hot air kicks in making it a sweat box. I witnessed it happen at my college and firefighters had to come in to pry the doors open and release each victim one by one through a tiny little opening.
branscool
i got stuck in the st. louis arch elevator when i was about ten years old, we were about half way when some little boy hit the stop button, it took the staff over ten minutes to realize that the elevators had stopped moving.
darkeagle
I played with gameboy all day in elevator when I stucked...
Zombie
I use an elevator daily, but the building only has 5 floors... so I am not terrified of getting stuck. But, if the cable broke, I think I would die.
Tadtoad
LOL...many times!!! The first time I thought a cable would snap and I'd plunge to my death, but then a lady beside me said it happens all the time, so I stopped caring. It was in a building where a friend worked. I got stuck in it most of the time I went to get him for lunch.

P.S.
And contrary to what you see in movies...there's not much sex going on in elevators. Evil or Very Mad
atlane
I've never been stuck on an elevator,and i dislike using elevator
endless
I've been stuck once, and it was ffing scary, i never go in an elevator anymore, not even if i have to.
even if i have to go 7 floors up with my mom i say like you go ahead i take the stairs
gugusm
Yeah, I was stuck in an elevator with my friends once. I think power was cut out or something, but we managed to get out by ourselves. Geez, that was so stupid Wink
RosenCruz
a few times...but they were short times..
watersoul
I got stuck in one a few years ago, I wasn't really scared as lets face it, the amount of safety devices and regulations here in the UK meant it wasn't likely to come crashing down the shaft and flatten me!
It was annoying though, and I was getting late to be somewhere so after the help phone guy told me it was going to be at least 30 minutes until an engineer arrived, I decided my own escape.
Using all my strength in my finger tips I managed to open the inner doors, then I could see I was stuck between two floors and found a lever I could grab on the outer doors and was able to force them open and slither out of the gap on my belly, dropping out to the corridor startling a few people there.
The only problem was I couldn't get to the help alarm phone guy and tell him I'd gone, but hey, I got to my appointment on time! Very Happy
biljap
I’ve never been stuck in an elevator. I think I’ve been watching too many films about problems in elevator and that they are the reason I am scared of it. I’ve been talking with a lot of people who got stuck and they continue to use it without any fear. We had an electricity problem few days ago and some of my friends got stuck… They got back in the elevator that same day… Wink
So… Yes, I feel worried if I hear some strange noise and if I am alone there but I won’t stop using it. Cool
stel4e
Yes I have ... it was really for a couple of minutes but I was alone... It was in the afternoon but it was dark...and just when I was starting to feel scared... the doors opened... huuh Smile ....

When I was little I was really scared from elevators.. I hated them... I even cried one time when my parents told me that we have to use the elevator .....now when remember it makes me lough
bigt
I have been stuck in the elevator in the Washington monument. It was one of those days they only let people take the elevator. I think we ended up being the last group that day Smile We were only stopped for a 7 or 8 minutes, but it seemed like longer. At least we didn't really have anybody freak out. And it makes for a cool story.
dalibor
yes i have been struck in elevator and i was very scared!
iyepes
I already was stuck on the elevator of the building I live in, it was at night. It was caused by a power shortage, so it was also dark. I was with a neighbor, a young man who felt a little panic, he, he. I heard before that in case of power fault, elevators allow you to open them manually from inside, so that was what I did and It worked.

The important part, since there was poor light, was to find out how much distance was left between the elevator floor and the building floor. Luckyly it was like 30cm (1ft), so it was easy to came out.

I had to calm the young man.

Later I found out that this elevator has a panic buttom, it could be important in other ocasion.
Crazy_Canuck
I have been stuck in an elevator twice. The first time was in a hotel, after a long work day, but I was with a friend, and we had carryout food. I picked up the phone and it connected me to the police. We sat down on the floor and ate our sandwiches, and about 10 minutes someone yelled down they would be right there. Then the door opened and there was a fireman in full gear. A little overdressed if you ask me.

The second time was at work, on a day I really needed to get home in a hurry after work. The elevator door acted like it didn't want to close, but then it did. Then it started to move and went down to the first floor but the door wouldn't open. One of my coworkers was waiting for me on the first floor and she went and got a security guard. The sad part is the first guard couldn't find the key to open the door, and he had to call a guard from another part of the building. I was in there about 20 minutes total. I had my cell phone and called home to say I would be late because I was stuck in the elevator, but noone believed me. The next day I found out the elevator stuck 3 times that day, why they didn't shut it down totally, I do not know!
Melacos
Haven't really... Would like to, as I kinda like situations in which I haven't got that much control, and when no one expects anything from me, because of inhibiting circumstances... although I'd probably expect of myself to get out of there..
goutha
I remember that it happened to me once, I was a bit afraid. I asked the personnel and they told be that it happens everyday, as it's an old elevator. From that day, I never took that elevator again, and used stairs only.
soljarag
Yes!! i did get stuck once... it sucked

I got in.. then the elevator went to my floor, doors didn't open.

the the elevator went up alittle (like halfway between floors) and then went back down... still nothing... did that about 2-3 times, then finally worked!
Crazy_Canuck
Twice.

The first time it was the Friday before Christmas, and the elevator was packed. It stopped about 2 feet above the lobby. The UPS and FedEx guys on the group floor worked together to pull the doors apart and we all jumped down. That wasn't too bad.

The second time I was alone and 8 months pregnant! I was in there for about 20 minutes before it finally moved again. That wasn't much fun, that is for sure!

I now work on the 31st floor of a high rise, so I hope it doesn't happen a third time. Wink
deanhills
I haven't thought about this before, but every time I've been stuck in an elevator I have been alone. I didn't think it was a big deal as I knew that eventually someone would have to bail me out. The first time I can remember was in my apartment block. I was living on the 11th floor then and got stuck on my way down. I can't remember which floor. I kept pressing the alarm, and eventually they got Otis to get things going again. Then quite a number of years went by before I was stuck again. That was a few months ago, and a weird experience. It was stuck, and I pressed the alarm, and then pressed all the buttons again, and it finally started moving again. Its first stop was where I wanted to be. There were a number of people waiting, and even when I said: "Do NOT go in there, it should be looked at", they still did. I then just shrugged, and they got stuck and had to get bailed out. So maybe that little devil who was responsible for it all, gave me a little reprieve, and I'm glad, as I had been in quite a hurry.
sana618
Recently for the first time in my life igot stuck in an elevator, it was very frightening atleast for me, this had never happened to me, anyways i pressed the alarm button and within a few minutes the door was opened from the outside and i was let out. but i felt very embaressed for bring so frightened. but it was like all is well that ends well.
kriszara
I have never been stuck. I think I would be ok, if it was just stuck. I am not claustrophobic at all. Unfortunately I live in southern California, earthquake territory and being stuck in an elevator during an earthquake would scare me to pieces.
Lucky for me most of the buildings in my town are not very tall. I take the stairs whenever possible both for exercise and because it is actually faster than waiting for the elevator in most places.
ankitdatashn
TurtleShell wrote:
So at my new office, the building is beautiful but the elevator is a faulty piece of junk. It seems to break down every day. I'm certain it's only a matter of time before I'm stuck in the elevator. i like to think I would be calm. In fact, I fantasize I'd have a little while and i'd take the time to read a book, if I had one with me. I never get into this elevator if I have to go to the bathroom.

So my question: have any of you ever been in a stuck elevator? What did you do? Were you scared? how long did it take you to get out?

For those of you who never have been in this situation: what would you do if you were stuck in an elevator?

What's the relation of an elevator with the bathroom??, oh k oh k dont get angry, I know when you gotta go you gotta go Razz.

I've never been in such a situation, however there is an elevator of such antique type in our city's grand hospital that gives a probability of inducing in such a condition, lets see if such a condition arises. However assuming stuck in an elevator the first thing I would do is call up some person in that building and get that thing down to a floor.
Ghost900
I don't think I was ever stuck in an elevator but I am not sure. I may have been for a quick bit.

I wouldn't panic or be worried until I had been sitting there for an hour or so, or I had an appointment to get to, then I would be freaking. Very Happy
mwsupra
Yea I've been stuck in one before, but not for long. All of a sudden the power went out, and all lights went out completely for a few minutes. A short time later the elevator "rebooted" (as funny as it sounds thats how I would descibe it), and it went on its way. Nobody really freaked out or anything thankfully.
Fatality
I have actually been stuck in an elevator. It stopped so that the floor of the elevator was about half way up on the exit doors. They were able to pry the doors open and let me crawl out. Wasn't too scary since the building only has 2 floors.
Arty
I tend to avoid elevators.
D:

Escalators! ^_^
Denvis
I've never been stuck in elevator. Depending on the situation (eg. if i'm with somebody or being alone) there would be a selection of things I could do.

If I was alone and the lights were off, i'd probably scratch my little buddy and call it a day. If I was stuck there with somebody and the lights were on, I might put on an act and play around with the other person and freak them out or just call the cops/fire department what ever and ... probably scratch my little buddy and call it a day. Razz
ankitdatashn
Use the stair case and get healthy yaar, its the best way to increase your lifespan, yeah yeah, its proven!!
guissmo
There was this time... here in the Philippines we have a tourist spot that's a big cross... then there's an elevator to get to the top and have a great view.

After getting up, as we were halfway down, it broke down and we were stuck in between two floors. So, they had to jam the doors open and we had to go up the floor on top. Majority of us were kids and it was kinda adventurous to do that.
biljap
I haven’t been actually stuck in an elevator but… When I started working in a new building I had to use an elevator often, and alone, although I was scared (watched too many movies with broken elevators?). Everything was just fine and I finally get rid of fear, some problems with electricity started to occur every few days and the elevator was stopped… Off course, while I was in it. Confused
Now I try to go by stairs at least while I’m going down…
bigt
TurtleShell wrote:

Yeah, I would never get into that elevator if I had to go to the bathroom. Yes, I've been stuck in an elevator before. It was the one in the Washington Monument. It's a big "car" that probably has room for 30 people. We weren't packed in there and didn't get stuck for too long. We stopped about the 110 foot mark in the monument and only had to wait about 15 minutes. I believe they closed the monument down for some planned work not too long after that event.
bloodrider
I was stuck on an elevator just one time, at a Shop Mall. Just stopped for a awhile but the electricity didn't go off.
It was a thing of five minutes, nothing special. I had three more people with me and although two were a little frightened, none panic. I even was surprised with myself because I was to calm for that kind of situation Wink
piyushbhardwaj
yes i have stuck in elevator due power failure.
i didnt have a mobile.
i had to stay in lift fopr 15 minutes before i could go out.
it was a torrible experience.
i felt that my life was at stake.
with me no body was there in the lift.
polly-gone
I got stuck in an elevator once for about 5 minutes. My friend that was in the elevator with me thought it would be funny to act like he could try to pull the doors open when we got on. Well... he did move them a little bit. We were stuck and had to press the call button so a maintenance man could rest the elevator. Not a fun five minutes.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
jabce85
can't say that i have ever been stuck in one... BUT i did get stuck in the top of the st. louis arch for over an hour during a lightning storm
czarulit
No, even once. Maybe because I prefer stairs...
jocaboca
i live on the first floor apartment and thats what i get for being lazy
mtorregiani
Once, I was stuck in the 'door' of the elevator... it was an old elevator, and it closed its doors, and I was stuck there
It hurt...
anakin_skyrunner
I really don't know now, but I don't think so.. no, that never happened. However I was always afraid of elevators when I was a child and thus preferred staircases over them.
Arseniy
Hah, I've had it two times in my life and that was VEEEERY funny Very Happy
First time I stucked there when I was rushing to my classes. That was an elevator in my house, very old soviet dino. I was sitting there for two hours before rescue.
Second time I went to Moscow to see my brother. We were with couple of friends, drunk and happy. Suddenly one of our friends started to jump up and down in the elevator, his weight is approximately 80-90 kilograms. And the elevator stucked between the floors. When the maintenance pulled us out, we saw that one of the holding cables of the elevator was absolutely broken.
supernova1987a
yeah nearly stuck once. we were just pressing all the buttons and it caused error and it stopped. dont know why, it did but we were freaked out for some time. we didnt do anything Wink
Dongotti
Hello,

This is my first post and iam pretty new here but thats not what this reply is about D:.

Ontopic : Yes, I have been stuck in an elavator 5-6 times. Everytime I got stuck I was not alone, I was either with my friends or with my family. Though there is an alarm in the lift which calls the guard. I have also helped someone else to come out of an elevator. They got stuck and I heard them shout. I called the guards and they opened the door. I went in and got some people out Razz.

Thats kinda it Razz.
Greetz
Dong
[FuN]goku
Mh, I've never actually been stuck, but when I was younger , I used to love being in elevators. These days , I'm more or less terrified of them. Usually I'll end up taking the stairs to avoid it, if at all possible. My friends seem to think it's weird but.. oh well.
mudshake
i've never been stuck in the elevator, and i am not wishing and hoping to experience it..
now if i think of it, it is a bit scary for me, and maybe i dont know what should i do if i got stuck there..
i am really afraid to be stuck in a small box like an elevator..
i know i am very over reacting to this, but i think i'm gonna freak out, and panic if this happen to me..!lolz Razz
Roflcopter
i wouldnt mind it so much if i had someone with me Smile sitting/standing on a stuck elevator for ages would be so boring and scary Sad
hamza1122
no..not that i can remember lol
EmoGirl0503
Yes,Two months ago on the 8th of Jan 2014. I live in a condo with fire stairs that you cant get into from the outside. This the story:

I was about to go out to get some sprite from our mini mart when I saw that one of the lifts was out of order, our neibors had got stuck on floor G, so I was paranoid that the same thing was gonna happen to me. Anyway I got down fine, I got my sprite and went back to the lobby, now the lift said it was working and it came down. But when it reached my floor, it wouldn't open! I kept pressing the open button again and again but it would NOT open Shocked. Slowly, it brought me right up to floor 16 and then dropped my at full speed down to floor Lower Ground 2, I was terrified, and it was going so fast I was pinned against the wall! I tried pressing the emergency button but it was past 5:00, so the managment were closed! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Then, it started shaking, throwing my about and beeping on LG2, and after lot of tears Crying or Very sad and screaming it finnaly opened, but I was stuck on LG2, I had to use the lift to get up, there was no other way! I walked along the naturey area thingy bit for a while, still sobbing until a kind women saw me and got with me into the other, non- broken lift.

Now, I have a serios phobia of lifts, I get in and out of the condo by jamming the fire stairs open with a door- stopper, security havent done anything about it.YET.
EmoGirl0503
Yes,Two months ago on the 8th of Jan 2014. I live in a condo with fire stairs that you cant get into from the outside. This the story:

I was about to go out to get some sprite from our mini mart when I saw that one of the lifts was out of order, our neibors had got stuck on floor G, so I was paranoid that the same thing was gonna happen to me. Anyway I got down fine, I got my sprite and went back to the lobby, now the lift said it was working and it came down. But when it reached my floor, it wouldn't open! I kept pressing the open button again and again but it would NOT open Shocked. Slowly, it brought me right up to floor 16 and then dropped my at full speed down to floor Lower Ground 2, I was terrified, and it was going so fast I was pinned against the wall! I tried pressing the emergency button but it was past 5:00, so the managment were closed! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Then, it started shaking, throwing my about and beeping on LG2, and after lot of tears Crying or Very sad and screaming it finnaly opened, but I was stuck on LG2, I had to use the lift to get up, there was no other way! I walked along the naturey area thingy bit for a while, still sobbing until a kind women saw me and got with me into the other, non- broken lift.

Now, I have a serios phobia of lifts, I get in and out of the condo by jamming the fire stairs open with a door- stopper, security havent done anything about it.YET.

Ps: I am only nine.
EmoGirl0503
[FuN]goku wrote:
Mh, I've never actually been stuck, but when I was younger , I used to love being in elevators. These days , I'm more or less terrified of them. Usually I'll end up taking the stairs to avoid it, if at all possible. My friends seem to think it's weird but.. oh well.

Same with me! When I was 7 and under I loved them! But now I've been stuck in one I take the cocroach filled fire stairs that your no really alowed to use unless it's an emergency.
EmoGirl0503
Melacos wrote:
Haven't really... Would like to, as I kinda like situations in which I haven't got that much control, and when no one expects anything from me, because of inhibiting circumstances... although I'd probably expect of myself to get out of there..

I have still not ten and been stuck in a lift already. It is horrible. Would you like it if the emergency button was broken?
Blaster
I've saved people in stuck elevators does that count?
deanhills
Reminds me of Keanu Reeves and "Speed". And yes, I think it counts.
Deline
Fortunately, I've never been stuck in an elevator Smile
Gregoric
Yeah. I live in a block of flats since bI was born at the 9th storey so pretty most of the times I leave home I am using elevator. Once, like ten years ago I was stuck in it as something broke inside while I was inside. I was scared but if I recall correctly, there was a neighbor with me there so she calmed me down Smile

Now, I would be rather annoyed - 'why did the servicemen not repair the elevator completely while they were here last time?!' but fortunately there is a way to get out (unlocking doors) if you are stuck inside.
Nyasro
Haven't been stuck at elevator, but i think it will be scarey when i get stuck.
pinspins
No I havent.
johans
hahaha.. i can relate.. i have been stack also but its just a minute.. i can sense your fear and frustration if its an hour.

I guess the building administrator should maintain properly there facilities specially the elevator.
Blaster
I know at school if you tried to open the doors to the elevator they would stop the elevator. To fix it you simply just had to hit the door close button and hit the floor again.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I know at school if you tried to open the doors to the elevator they would stop the elevator. To fix it you simply just had to hit the door close button and hit the floor again.
Laughing An elevator with special character! Razz
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

That it was. And the one girl I started talking to had the same name as the elevator manufacture.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

That it was. And the one girl I started talking to had the same name as the elevator manufacture.
Now that makes it a real memory maker. Very Happy

I can't think of an elevator like that in my life. The ones I generally notice more are the ones that are so darn slow and have my foot tapping with frustration.

Mind you, there was this once when the door opened and the elevator was two feet below where it should have been. I.e., if one hadn't looked, one could have injured oneself seriously. I've heard of incidences where there was no elevator at all when the door opened.
BeeCastle
Sorta. When I was a little kid, I got stuck on the bottom floor where there was no exit since it was some kind of parking garage thing. The elevator doors closed and they wouldn't open again. I had nightmares about being stuck in that tiny hallway for years.
Insanity
When I went to visit a friend´s apartment, I found out that his building has an elevator which gets pretty stuck often. It´s because it was made a long time ago and it prone to running into problems. When I visited him a while ago, I got stuck when the elevator stopped moving, but I was able to get out of the car by opening the doors and climbing out since it was stuck fortunately on a floor.
Blaster
When I attended Penn State there was an old elevator in the one part of the library. Never got stuck in it but it could get a little risky at times. Really cool how it worked though. Had to have the door all the way closed or it would stop on you. Or so says the rumors i heard. Never tried it out really.