FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot open folder in same window

hofodomo01
Below is a summary of the basic problem I am having; read below this box if you wanna know a more detailed overview of what I did to make things go wrong:
(Myself) wrote:
Okay, so I was changing the File Types settings under Folder Options in order to use different icons, etc. I changed an icon setting for the "File Folder" entry (under File Types), and afterwards, double clicking any folder would open up the search window instead of opening that folder.

So after I added a "Open" function using the File Types settings (I set the open to execute "C:\Windows\explorer.exe"), double clicking on a folder now caused it to open up in a entirely new window. Note that the "Open Folders in Same Window" setting is enabled, though).

I know I caused the problem, though I don't know the steps to take in order to restore original settings.

Myself...a few posts later wrote:
Well, this is basically the sequence of events leading to my problem:
1) Modified Folder icon --> double click on a folder results in search window being opened.
1a) Noticed "Search" as the default action (see here)
2) Added "Open" function to File Folder via this method --> double click on a folder results in it being opened in a new window

Okay, this issue kinda developed from me messing with file settings. Basically, in a Win XP folder, I went to tools > folder options > file types, and changed some settings around in order to use different icon sets. (see picture below)

At first, even though I only messed around with the icon settings, somehow 'search' was set up as the default action upon double clicking a folder (i.e. when I try and open a folder, it doesn't open; instead, the search window pops up). So I went back to the file types tab, clicked on the 'advanced' tab for the "file folder", and added a new "Open" funtion. (see picture below)

Note: before I recreated the "Open" function, there were only 3 selections in this window: find, OneNote, and MangaV (ignore this--this is just some silly add-on I've had for ages).

First of all, after creating this option, the remove/edit functions are greyed out (don't understand why I can't edit this funtion). Second of all, for the 'open' function, I had set it to run c:/windows/explorer.exe. Now, this is the part that opens a folder in a new window on double click.

Also, I didn't touch any of the settings here:

Basically, how do I set it so that double clicking a folder opens that folder in the same explorer window?

(yes, the open in same windows setting is enabled, and yes, double clicking folders opens them in a new window)

Thanks. I just goofed something up, just don't know exactly how to fix it.

Feel free to ask if you need any clarification on what I mean/what the exact problem is.
aningbo
i'm lost!!!

wat are you actually trying to say? asking for help or giving tips to the newbies? btw if double click doesn't work, there could be a possible virus. check up with ur anti virus for antorun files and other files running in the background.
hofodomo01
Haha, I am most definitely asking for help. The reason I included the pictures/step-by-step procedures is because this is a weird problem, and I want readers to understand how I arrived at my problem.

But just to summarize again: now, whenever I doubleclick on a folder, it opens up in a new window (even though the "open folder in same window" setting is enabled).

I'm pretty sure this isn't virus related, because as stated in the original post, this started occuring only after I messed with file type settings. I caused the problem, but now I don't know what to do to restore the original settings >_>
ProfessorY91
This may be obvious, but you did try the "Restore Defaults" button under the folder options tab?
If not, try it.

If so, then we need to go into the Control Panel and start messing with things.

Either way, I'd like to know which file types you were messing with, so they can be returned to default. I would, as a last resort, delete the type "Open" so that it reverts to what it was before (which is probably the settings under the general tab (which you have set correctly).

See, when you mess around with the default action for opening a certain ... thing ..., you override the settings on the general tab. Somehow or another you created the action "Open" (or modified it) to open things in new windows.
hofodomo01
Yeah, that's the problem, it's b/c I changed the settings =/

Originally, I changed the icons for AVI, MKV, and some images (JPG, PNG, etc). I also changed the icon of the File Folder.

Quote:
I would, as a last resort, delete the type "Open" so that it reverts to what it was before

The thing is, I can't restore/modify/otherwise change the settings that I myself changed. This is the part that really confused me (i.e. the edit functions are all grayed out).

Well, this is basically the sequence of events leading to my problem:
1) Modified Folder icon --> double click on a folder results in search window being opened.
1a) Noticed "Search" as the default action (see here)
2) Added "Open" function to File Folder via this method --> double click on a folder results in it being opened in a new window

Thanks for your help though. I can live with issue, but it's just really bothersome having to close window after window >_>
surdy
First of all i guess you are unable to edit or remove the OPEN option as you have Set it as default. It you set some other option as default you may be able to remove/edit it
This is just a guess as i don;t have acess to an XP system right now as i use Linux ..and closest i can get to XP is Vista on my roomy's laptop (which incidentally does not have the "File types" options which XP used to have)
I can confirm this later

Anyways ...comming to the point ...solution to your problem ...
i'm not sure i you have experience in editing the registry but if you have or if you feel confident in doing so follow method I , otherwise follow method II

The following looks like a lot of work but is hardly 2 min job . it looks huge as i have put everything in detail

before doing anything backup the registry value you are going to edit
Backup procedure
You may not need this as what i'm going to tell you won't screw the OPEN option more than it already is. still I don't want you after my life saying "you screwed my system" . So i'm telling you the way to revert back to what it was before my procedure

Start-->Run-->type regedit-->OK
A window pops up something like
now click on the + next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
a subtree opens and within the subtree
then click on the + next to Folder (you may have to scroll down a bit to find Folder)
another subtree opens and within the subtree
then click on the + next to shell
then click on the + next to open
then click on the + next to command
You will end up in a window similar to
(only diff being in this pic being that the person clicked on print where we had clicked on open)

Now right click on command and select Export
It will as you to save it in a .reg file ...give it a file name and save it for example backup.reg
Now you have backed it up and can restore the Open option to what it is if you screwup following my method.

Another good option would be use some freeware utility to backup ur registry (i can provide more info on this if required.

now the method to resolve your problem

METHOD I
Open registry editor like i explained above and Goto the command value like i explained above.
Now on the right hand side on the registry editor window you would see a value named (Default)
Right click on it and click Modify and cope paste
Code:
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /separate,/idlist,%I,%L
in the value data text box
Click OK
close the window and see it things work fine for you.

METHOD II
Open notepad and copy paste the following into it:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,45,00,78,00,70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,\
  65,00,20,00,2f,00,73,00,65,00,70,00,61,00,72,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,2c,00,2f,\
  00,69,00,64,00,6c,00,69,00,73,00,74,00,2c,00,25,00,49,00,2c,00,25,00,4c,00,\

File-->Save As--> Select All files in the Save as type drop down menu ---> type a name like open.reg-->Save

after you are done just double click the file open.reg ,it may give you a warning that you are going to change registry...say YES and and it should make the changes.

Follow Method I or Method II..which ever you like.

Backing up the registry is not required but i would recommend.

restoring the backup you made in case my methods don't work and you want to come back to where you started.
Just double click the backup.reg and say YES at the warning

Ask me in case of any doubts in my explanation.[/b][/u]
hofodomo01
Hmm, didn't seem to work, but I think you're on the right track about restoring the registry. I'll try something else and find someone with OS XP.

But anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate the effort you put into the detailed and concise explanation. I'm glad that there are people that are nevertheless willing to be helpful Smile
moorthyrweb
Thanks Guys.
u75031
If want delete "error action" that you created.
do as surdy but view under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

will found your error.

goodluck

*** please i want web hosting space ***
vukodlak
I just have the same problem as descrided above and i register here just to write solution if someone need.
Quote:

1. Open Start >> Run and type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

2. press ok

3. You will see a message DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded

4. that’s it
[/code]
mayasl
vukodlak wrote:
I just have the same problem as descrided above and i register here just to write solution if someone need.
Quote:

2. press ok

3. You will see a message DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded

4. that’s it
[/code]

I was struggling with this error from last three days. This all happened after i opted to open each folder in separate window unknowingly, while configuring Tuneup Utilities. After i got this headache i went through the Tuneup to revert the setting. But, i couldn't find the relevant option again. I tried couple of ways. Also, as SURDI instructed. Nothing worked, but this easy command.

Thank you very much.
Very Happy
FunDa
mayasl wrote:
vukodlak wrote:
Quote:

2. press ok

4. that’s it
[/code]

I was struggling with this error from last three days. This all happened after i opted to open each folder in separate window unknowingly, while configuring Tuneup Utilities. After i got this headache i went through the Tuneup to revert the setting. But, i couldn't find the relevant option again. I tried couple of ways. Also, as SURDI instructed. Nothing worked, but this easy command.

Thank you very much.
Very Happy

Wow. That works. Thanks very much.

It was very irritating when this started hapening and there was no simple option to change it .. Now, it is fixed thanks to this suggestion
vastav
AWESOME MAN U"R AWESOME THAT WORKED !!!

Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy
benjietimogan
try to rescan using antivirus
benjietimogan
try to rescan using antivirus
benjietimogan
what happen+++????