FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox turn off the design mode

surdy
I came across a neat javascript trick to edit the webpage you are viewing by copy pasting the following in the address bar and pressing enter :
Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable%20=%20'true';%20document.designMode='on';%20void%200

pretty straight forward ..it worked
but i also read that you can then turn this editing mode off by :
Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable%20=%20'false';%20document.designMode='off';%20void%200

but it does not seem to work on my firefox 3.

It did work on IE7.

Is it just firefox 3 or firefox does not support this second function.... or is it a bug in firefox
aningbo
this is not bad bt then what's the use? good to play around.... fooling the kids how to deface a website hehehe
moorthyrweb
Nice stuff buddy.
moorthyrweb
Edit page Surprisedn
Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable%20=%20'true';%20document.designMode='on';%20void%200

Edit page :off
Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable%20=%20'false';%20document.designMode='off';%20void%200
brokenadvice
I also could not get it to turn off with the code supplied in firefox 3. I played around with it and this new code will work in firefox 3:

To turn it on:
Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable="true";void0

and to turn it back off:
Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable="false";void0
Diablosblizz
Broken, this does not work. I don't really care to turn it off, because if you refresh it turns off.
brokenadvice
You have to use my first code to turn it on, and my second to turn it off, but these will only work in Firefox. The other junk in surdy's code confuses Firefox 3.
Diablosblizz
My mistake. You are correct.
surdy
aningbo wrote:
this is not bad bt then what's the use? good to play around.... fooling the kids how to deface a website hehehe

Yeah this is no good apart from doing what you said. But still a nice little trick , can be used to play a trick on some kid.

I used it to get around a problem. It was some stupid game on facebook and my friend had tweaked to disable a feature which the application did allow on that page. I wanted to get around his tweak.

Actually he had covered an editable portion by an image...so that no one could edit it.
I wanted to edit it so this feature helped me remove the picture and edit the portion.
surdy
brokenadvice wrote:
You have to use my first code to turn it on, and my second to turn it off, but these will only work in Firefox. The other junk in surdy's code confuses Firefox 3.

What part is junk in the code i mentioned ? ..do you mean the designMode value ?

So did the turn off feature work for you in firefox 3
brokenadvice
surdy wrote:
brokenadvice wrote:

What part is junk in the code i mentioned ? ..do you mean the designMode value ?

So did the turn off feature work for you in Firefox 3

The "junk" code is for IE, but I believe it is nonstandard so it confuses Firefox 3 (or there is a bug in Firefox 3). If you use both of mine (to turn design mode on and then off) it works in Firefox 3.
surdy
thanks a lot. brokenadvice
I'll give it a try
slyshadow3
Broken, all that does it turn it off, doesnt save anything. Im trying to change my money on the game on the internet. I turn on, change the value, turn off, try to withdraw the value, and it doesnt withdraw anything. Im on firefox!