FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best science magazine??

speeDemon
I was wondering that which science magazine do people usually like?

My sister wanted to subscribe(from india) and I really wanted to know that which one would be the best.....

It should be like a common science magazine, not specific about some topic.... She wants to subscribe soon.... so please reply soon!

The magazine may be from anywhere from the world, but it should be in english.... and it should be able to get to india!

Thats all! please do reply soon...
psycosquirrel
I read Popular Science. I used to get Scientific American, but it is far too dark and negative. Pop Sci keeps everything in a good, happy, fluffy light with no cynicism at all.

I'm not sure if you can get it in India though. You'd probably have to call them or look on their website to see.

Couldn't she just read some online? It seems like a more viable option.
vineeth
What about Nature?

Almost every scienctific magazine will deliver to India or any part of the world. Some of them may charge extra for air mail instead of sea mail.
Jaan
Nature is the most prestigious one Razz
driftingfe3s
How old is you sister and how much education has she had. Some magazines are more technical than others and require greater knowledge to fully understand, especially the scientific journals.
RiCtee
I read New Scientist. It's a very general Science magazine that covers a lot of different issues. There's also a section in the magazine - "The Last Word", where you can ask questions, and get answers. It's a real eye-opener. Very Happy
speeDemon
Shes in 1st year of college....

And yaa.. she doesent really want something that is too much into science, just a simple science magazine that can update her on all the happenings around the world.....

NOTE:She has never read any magazines of such type before.... and ya, remember that it has to reach india.....
linkmenot
IEEE Spectrum i guess.

speeDemon wrote:
I was wondering that which science magazine do people usually like?

My sister wanted to subscribe(from india) and I really wanted to know that which one would be the best.....

It should be like a common science magazine, not specific about some topic.... She wants to subscribe soon.... so please reply soon!

The magazine may be from anywhere from the world, but it should be in english.... and it should be able to get to india!

Thats all! please do reply soon...
speeDemon
Jaan wrote:
Nature is the most prestigious one Razz

What exactly is nature?

A science megazine??
hlavco
I don't subscribe to any science magazines, but I'll usually read Popular Science if it's around. They have a lot of neat stuff in there.
PatTheGreat42
Wired is a pretty hip science magazine for all the cool people out there.
Donutey
I like Scientific American, it's usually very well written, and it has interesting articles you won't run across unless you were in that particular field of science.
KronikSindrome
WIRED

it's science meets playboy. awesome Razz
psycosquirrel
Shocked

That cover is AWESOME!

I need to go read that magazine now.
tony
Nice; Ya - WIRED is a good magazine imo. I don't know if you can get it in India though....

Well... it is online. Is that good enough?
chatrack
Hi, I have read not a many science/electonics magazines

The one i can not remember is "Electrinics for You".
it has got lots of circuits and descriptions for a beginner

I am looking for more links to such good magazines online
Fanghai44
Science
or Science journal
or whatever it's called
it has all the latest technological advances (both macro and micro)
it is the biggest scientific journal in America
loyal
Newscientist is quite popular generally around where i live. But i personally hate the magazine. Reading it between the lines of the articles, they seem to nothing more but grasping new unsupported theories (i say theories, but they are often nothing more than possibilites, that contain little evidence, except of a single experiment which apparently proves all). Each article gives the impression it has discovered a great mystery.
Of course the magazine's front covers are always catching and interesting. But the magazines contain little in the way of science and the way it works. I'd prefer that, to reading that a huge mystery has been solved, because some random american in a university preformed an experiment, which apparently proves his/her own personal theory.

Maybe i've offended someone...that wasn't my intent. That's just my opinion of the magazine.
I'd much prefer to have magazines such as Biology Review (i think that's what it's called).

Peace.
Seiji
Wired, one of my friends always bring an issue to school, and I always look through it whenever I get the chance. Stephen Colbert FTW.
Spiritus
Wired. Or Nature, or Nationall Geographic. I find Wired useful due to it's content, I dislike SA etc because I find some stuff is drawn out. Nature is nice, and National Geo is always good.
sondosia
My favorites are Wired and Seed. Seed isn't very well-known, and it only puts out six issues a year, but it's amazing. The writing is beautiful and really draws you into the subject. I found myself reading articles on areas of science that I didn't even think I was interested in; it's like that. It also has really good photography and illustrations. And, unlike Popular Science and many other science magazines, it doesn't focus on gadgets so much, but on actual, you know, SCIENCE.
eday2010
I read Popular Science and Wired. Of the two, I would suggest Popular Science. I find the first half of Wired magazine to be good, but I find their articles way too long. And they push too much on the global warming crapola. Popular Science is a fun magazine to read; not to heavy on scientific mumbojumbo like Discover Magazine and Scientific American, and they don't have 9-page articles on some guy who wants to make an electric car (Wired). I find 9 pages a bit much for an article, and I find Wired a bit of a chore to read as opposed to PopSci, which I really enjoy.
pandreson
Solar power has been all the rage when it comes to alternative energy, but designer Peter Thuvander has a solution for iPhone users so they won't need to rely on the sun.
----------------------------------------------
pandreson

online ads
bonestorm74
Probably New Scientist I'd say. Each to their own though.
MeddlingMonk
I would recommend Creation (for the less technical) and Journal of Creation (for those interested in the mathematics and technical information), both of which are published by CMI. In the last few years the articles have become available freely online to complement the subscription print format:

Creation Magazine - http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/23/67/
Journal of Creation - http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/24/68/
friuser
er... Please don't go with quasi science<basically made up> magazines you've never heard of usually from a certain religionious <direction> group. Popular science is still the first and only magazine I recommend for people who want to buy a science magazine.
Melacos
Guess it kinda depends on what you mean with 'science', or rather how broad you want it to apply. But the way I guess you'd want it, National Geographic would possibly do it... It isn't quite heavy-science, but at the same time, the articles are pretty deep and not that compromised as you see a lot elsewhere...
gautamBelle
Since I'm a science student, I usually like to read out of [url]physorg.com[/url] and [url]sciencedaily.com[/url]. These sites carry good articles and are updated regularly.

If you are looking only for science news -- that is updates from various universities -- you could try out domain-b.com or reuters.com both of which have technology sections.

However, both of the above have complex terminology, so if you want to read a magazine that talks to you about rocket science in simple terms go to sation.in

There are other journals such as Current Science that provide only research papers... these are magazines for scientists who understand jargon.
medesignz
Great magazine i think that is published by the BBC is FOCUS... I get it for free at my work, but I think it costs something like 2
Bikerman
MeddlingMonk wrote:
I would recommend Creation (for the less technical) and Journal of Creation (for those interested in the mathematics and technical information), both of which are published by CMI. In the last few years the articles have become available freely online to complement the subscription print format:

Creation Magazine - http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/23/67/
Journal of Creation - http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/24/68/

Arghh...I've only just seen this.
Let me say this very clearly so there is no misunderstanding. Neither of the above publications have anything to do with science. They are not written by scientists, do not have a scientific goal, and do not observe the scientific method. They are purely religious, dishonestly pretending to be science.
You would be better reading a comic than reading these - at least a comic does not pretend to be an encyclopedia.

If you want good science then you have to go to the heavyweights. For most science that means the technical journals for that discipline. The trouble is that these are far from 'light reading' and you need to understand the subject pretty well before even attempting to read them.

As far as good science for the non-scientist, you have a few choices:
New Scientist - sometimes publishes some pretty crappy science but is generally OK.
Science magazine - published by AAAS
Popular Science magazine
American Scientist
The Citizen Scientist
Discovery Magazine
Cosmos
odayguide
I don't think there's the best. There should be better magazine.
ProfessorY91
I'm going to throw in a vote for Scientific American. I don't know if you can subscribe from overseas, or how you plan to get the issues over there - but its a pretty intriguing magazine, even for the layman.