You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

C/C++ Windows book names

Here’re the name of books that may be useful to a c/c++ Windows programmer

Programming Windows
by Charles Petzold. The book to get on Win32 API. If you want to write programs using
just the API (which is what this tutorial covers), you need this book.

Programming Windows with MFC
by Jeff Prosise. If you want to venture into MFC (AFTER becoming fully accustomed to
using the Win32 API), this is the book for you. If you don't like MFC but intend on getting
a job doing windows development, get this anyway, it's better to know than not.

Programming Applications for Windows
by Jeffrey Richter. Not for newbies, if you want to be up on managing processes and
threads, dlls, windows memory management, exception handling, and hooking into the
system, then this is the book for you.

Visual C++ Windows Shell Programming
by Dino Esposito. For anyone interested in the visual and user-friendly aspects of
windows, this book covers writing extentions to the windows shell, working efficiently
with files and drag and drop, customizing the taskbar and windows explorer, and numerous
other tricks. Well worthwhile for anyone writing GUI apps in windows.

Network Programming for Microsoft Windows
Up to date information on network programming, including NetBIOS, mailslots and pipes,
and of course the ever important windows sockets, complete with winsock2 and raw
sockets. Also contains specific information on the various windows platforms including
2000 and CE.

James007: Quote tags added.
One textbook that I've come across that is useful is:

C: How to Program (6th Edition is latest edition) by Deitel & Deitel
This book covers basic C/C++ for beginners and is also useful as a reference.
Thanks for such agood collection of books and one thing. The "industrial strength programming" or some book of same book by the former of reliable software is also preety nice. I link charles petzoldi's book most and then eckel's.
C and Data Structures - P.S. Deshpande
this book is good for c worker
it will help u
best of luck
thanx for the name of the books. any idea as to how to get them as well?

read a book "learn C in 3 days" long time ago... it got all the basic stuffs. some might find it useful
Thanks for the nice list. Is there a book teaching object oriented Windows API programming? I want a free one.
neolite wrote:
Thanks for the nice list. Is there a book teaching object oriented Windows API programming? I want a free one.

MSDN is full of tutorials and information for widnows programming.
Great books, I am really interested in the MFC and Shell programming Smile Thanks
Thanks for the nice collection. I am currently reading thinking in c++ by bruck eckel. I am searching for a book that teached win32 programming using object oriented techniques for free. I want to get a free version of some nice book like windows++ that teaches win32 programming using c++. If you have any in your list, please post
I've come across two c/c++ book that have been very useful:
1. C by Dissection by Al Kelly & Ira Pohl
2. C learn to Program Third edition by Deitel & Deitel