FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

surgery questions..

Srs2388
balloon kyphoplasty... I am going to have this surgery before too long..
but, they aren't just doing this.. when my back bones were healing (the three broken ones)
they didn't heal right.. he said the 11th one is in real bad shape..
so they are going to re break all three bones in my back.
put this balloon like thing in where they break it.. fill it with some sort of cement stuff...

has anyone had this kind of surgery at all?
im scared because i remember just how much pain i was having when they were broken.. he also said it will hurt more because im young and my bones are hard.

any advice? my tolerance for pain medication is so high it's ridiculous.
oxycontin 40mg barely even phases me.... i just took it and crushed it because i was hurting really bad.
i barely feel anything and im still hurting..
this stuff is around 500$ a bottle..
Srs2388
no one heard of it?
kerryworkman
Srs2388 wrote:
balloon kyphoplasty... I am going to have this surgery before too long..
but, they aren't just doing this.. when my back bones were healing (the three broken ones)
they didn't heal right.. he said the 11th one is in real bad shape..
so they are going to re break all three bones in my back.
put this balloon like thing in where they break it.. fill it with some sort of cement stuff...

has anyone had this kind of surgery at all?
im scared because i remember just how much pain i was having when they were broken.. he also said it will hurt more because im young and my bones are hard.

any advice? my tolerance for pain medication is so high it's ridiculous.
oxycontin 40mg barely even phases me.... i just took it and crushed it because i was hurting really bad.
i barely feel anything and im still hurting..
this stuff is around 500$ a bottle..

Good Morning Srs2388,

Balloon kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive surgery done to correct a curvature of the spine. It is normally done with a local anesthesia with a small (1cm) incision done at each vertebral area being corrected. A small rod with a very small balloon at the end is placed where the veretra is compressed and then blown up to straighten the placement to a more normal position. The balloon is then removed and a small amount of cement is used as an internal casting to hold the vertebra in place. An overnight stay in the hospital is usually the norm after such a procedure.
In your case, since you have three vertebra to do on places with prior trauma it may be a bit more involved. Here is a URL address to a site with more information and diagrams on what is done
http://www.spineuniverse.com/resource-center/kyphoplasty/how-balloon-kyphoplasty-works-4284.html

As far as your pain levels, and the crushing of Oxycontin---- not a good thing. There have been deaths from people taking Oxycontin that way. The med is a time released and having it available all at once is dangerous. Your physician should be able to think of other things or combinations that could work for you. In any case, good luck with your surgery and recovery. I guess I should let you know I got my info from my mom... she is a physical therapist.