FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox 1.5 beta 1 released

RA
Firefox 1.5 beta 1 is out - get it while its hot. There are still a few minor issues, such as a few plugins not quite working right, and many extensions have yet to be ported, but for the most part it is alot nicer than FF 1.0.

Some changes are detailed at squarefree and mozillaZine. Here's my short list of whats new:

* back/forward cache makes viewing cached pages substantially faster
* partial SVG support
* vastly improved update mechanism, including binary patch updates
* more user friendly dialogs, including the error pages
* better popup blocker built in
* sanitize on shutdown feature to clear cache & settings automatically
* various security/performance bugfixes
bigdan
I think I'll wait til the proper release comes out! Very Happy

But it sounds promising though...
impronto
bigdan wrote:

why? are there a lot of bugs with firefox beta releases/?
RA
I have been running it for a few hours and have had zero problems. However, I haven't yet installed any plugins/extensions yet.

I have to say that bfcache kicks butt.
bigdan
impronto wrote:
bigdan wrote:

I just wait until the proper version comes out...I'm a bit cautious! Very Happy
onur
best is ie explorer.

but i use opera.

for exp. if you have got gmail. save setting with opera..

try
n0obie4life
No one SHOULD flame the above post.

Anyway, I'd prefer to wait for the release. I never liked beta products expect for phpBB mods Wink.
DimAce
FireFox is great, but I use Opera Smile
orno
n0obie4life wrote:
No one SHOULD flame the above post

must....control.....self.....

must....not....shoot....anyone...

Laughing
anyways, i see no problem with FF1.5 so far... everything looks awesome, except for the fact that one of my 27 extensions (maybe more) keeps crashing it... anyways, final version should be awesome!
kv
I think I will stick with 1.0.6 for a while. It is quite stable. I don't want to use a s/w which is like the old mozilla browser.
Anderman
Thanks Very Happy
Does anyone know if the Google toolbar still works?
Jack_Hammer
bigdan wrote:
impronto wrote:
bigdan wrote:

I just wait until the proper version comes out...I'm a bit cautious! Very Happy

Same here, it all sounds great but with anything I would rather wait and see what the final release is like, sometimes the beta can be nothing like the final version, and sometimes the beta is jsut a bit of a fad with lots of useless features (I'm sure neither is the case with Mozilla) but I would rather wait untill they smoethed over all the cracks before I start using it.
Wink
RA
There are mostly performance & crash fixes going in now. There will be a few polish and minor feature tweaks, but no major features will be added after beta 1 (before 1.5 final is released).

My guess is that most users will see little functional difference between FF 1.5 beta 1 and FF 1.5 final. The theme might change a bit.
Dimaod
Of course its better to wait for final version or for stable release....
There is no need to install each version of program....
Youll just lose your time
Wink
S3nd K3ys
onur wrote:
best is ie explorer.

but i use opera.

for exp. if you have got gmail. save setting with opera..

try

n0obie4life wrote:
No one SHOULD flame the above post.

Anyway, I'd prefer to wait for the release. I never liked beta products expect for phpBB mods Wink.

I have little self control, sorry in advance.

Quote:
best is ie explorer.

Sorry, but the best is NOT Internet Explorer. IE is bloated insecure integrated (in a bad way) junk. It's an open door to your computer for any beginner hacker.

Quote:
What makes other browsers better than IE at protecting vs. spyware and other attacks? Well, it’s simple really - most other browsers don’t make it so easy to install malicious software on your system without you knowing about it. IE makes it relatively trivial through two features called ActiveX and Active Scripting. These technologies were designed specifically for the purpose of giving websites more control over a user’s computer. Unfortunately, as we have seen with exploit after exploit - that’s not always a good thing.

Quote:
In addition to the spyware issues, IE in general has had a terrible track record when it comes to all types of serious security issues. For years now, it’s seemed like every time you turn around there is a new way to have your computer taken over via Internet Explorer. Put “internet explorer” and “allow an attacker to execute commands” (with the quotes) into Google and you’ll see what I mean.

Quote:
The absolute worst browser when it comes to supporting the standards is Internet Explorer.

Source
mars
I already used it.
ulmas
I am browsing with 1.5 Beta 1 now for this forums... Unfortunately most of my extensions and any of favourite themes do not work Sad Waiting for extension updates
Dimaod
Now i am using Firefox 1.6 Laughing
Dimaod
win66
Dimaod wrote:

Firefox 1.6? Firefox 1.06 or Firefox 1.6?
RA
Firefox 1.0.6 (soon to be Firefox 1.0.7) is the most recent "stable version" of Firefox. These are minor revisions of Firefox 1.0.

Firefox 1.5 beta 1 is the most recent semi-stable test version of Firefox. Eventually, it will be released Firefox 1.5, which will become the new "stable version". The minor revisions of it will be called Firefox 1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc.

Even now, development on Firefox 2.0 (the version to follow 1.5.x) is underway, but that is probably about 9 months away.
nntien
Dimaod wrote:

Really? Could you tell me how to download Firefox 1.6?

Thanks!
gamo
RA wrote:
Firefox 1.5 beta 1 is out - get it while its hot. There are still a few minor issues, such as a few plugins not quite working right, and many extensions have yet to be ported, but for the most part it is alot nicer than FF 1.0.

Some changes are detailed at squarefree and mozillaZine. Here's my short list of whats new:

* back/forward cache makes viewing cached pages substantially faster
* partial SVG support
* vastly improved update mechanism, including binary patch updates
* more user friendly dialogs, including the error pages
* better popup blocker built in
* sanitize on shutdown feature to clear cache & settings automatically
* various security/performance bugfixes

I agree with most of you all. I think Firefox is the best all around browser out there. IE and its Activex stuff just kills me. It allows spyware to creep in. If you set the security levels too high then pages dont load or you are busy ok'ing everything to get a page to load.

Unlike safari or some of the others, I dont see pages loading incorrectly.

I dont see alot of those problems with Firefox.
mars
there are more and more Themes and Extensions for Firefox 1.5B