FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

should i switch to vista?

teaminfamous
i'm not sure if i should switch.. i want dx10 but i'll lose a lot of fps in my games :S

what do you think?
Diablosblizz
If you have Windows XP, I would stay with it. Vista isn't optimized for gaming, yet. Windows XP has been out for a while now so it would be the best for gaming. Keep in mind that Vista takes a lot more CPU and ram, which will cut your FPS in half. It's best that you stay with XP.
surdy
Vista is something I would never recommend switching to. It feels like an Upgrade in Grapichs User Interface with every other feature downgraded.
I'm not resisting the change , I loved to switch to Windows XP from Windows 98 . But Vista seems like a resource eating monster.
leosthenerd
all I have to say is don't do it. vista has corrupted my laptop enough, it has corrupted most of my software and even killed my wifi. it is intensive, it has no worth whatsoever.

btw all HP/compaq products suck, so go with some thing else. getting a HP/compaq product with vista is just asking for trouble Sad I now need a new laptop because mine is failing Sad Sad Sad
chartcentral
I'm sticking with Windows XP as of the moment. I still don't consider Vista stable enough. When it ages though, and have some updates or service packs, then I might upgrade. Maybe you should also do the same. Smile
Sphaerenkern
As soon as I know, you can get DX10 on XP with a bit of work.
If that works, I'd rather recommend that than getting some OS that reduces your FPS that drastically...
surdy
if you need directX 10 for XP you can try DirectX10 for XP by Alky Project

A guy called Cody Brocious from San Diego, California is working on this project to make dx9 available for other operating systems than vista.

The work is still in alpha stage but many users claim that it does work.

for more information visit

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

and

http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/
aningbo
leosthenerd wrote:
all I have to say is don't do it. vista has corrupted my laptop enough, it has corrupted most of my software and even killed my wifi. it is intensive, it has no worth whatsoever.

btw all HP/compaq products suck, so go with some thing else. getting a HP/compaq product with vista is just asking for trouble Sad I now need a new laptop because mine is failing Sad Sad Sad

poor you. may be u should learn how to use computer first rather than complaining about specific products...

HP/Compaq or sony or LG or dell.... they still use the same processor, same motherboard, same RAM, same Hard disk... etc etc etc

if u dont know and ur system is done for some weird reason. get it fixed from a professional.
psycosquirrel
I would recommend staying with XP. Vista is worthless.

I'm not even going to bother to upgrade to Vista. Ever. It is the Windows ME of this decade... Crying or Very sad
swizzy
Depends on your usage... my personal feeling is that Vista was pretty much productive for buisness purposes, but if you are a serious, primary gamer, XP is better.

However on my mabook, i wouldnt go for anything except Vista. Smile
reiika101
It entirely depends on you, I myself am running on Vista right now. Well, it was because I had no choice and all desktops and laptops are pre-installed with Vista. If you have a Windows XP cd, partition it into your computer. That way, you have both operating systems installed.
cavedog2
If you have about triple the CPU and RAM than your XP system I think you ought to be ok but with Vista you never! know! Just don't rush into things right now I'd say! Very Happy
erlendhg
aningbo wrote:
leosthenerd wrote:

poor you. may be u should learn how to use computer first rather than complaining about specific products...

HP/Compaq or sony or LG or dell.... they still use the same processor, same motherboard, same RAM, same Hard disk... etc etc etc

if u dont know and ur system is done for some weird reason. get it fixed from a professional.

Well, it is right that one can't blaim a specific trademark, but you can't deny that HP produces poor laptops as well as good ones.

My HP Compaq 6715b is a total mess. I have found out that the wifi card is big trouble for media playing and streaming, and if it goes into hibernation because of low battery, it won't. Instead it show you a flashing screen full of vertical stripes in different colours (in xp).

Anyway, I just downgraded to xp, because the performance was terrible. It is better now. My advice: stick with xp until Windows 7 is released (just like Intel is doing).
keane
It's all up to you. I bought a new PC a week ago and it got Vista Home Basic pre-installed. Design wise, it's refreshing. However Vista is really problematic. It uses too many resources, thus slowing down my computer. The black screen in Windows Vista is really annoying especially when you have the User Account Protection turned on...when you run a program and it needs permission, your screen will turn black for a few seconds and the warning box will appear. So I just turned it off. It's a bit slow, considering I have 1GB memory, if it was running on XP it wouldn't be that slow...
So if you're planning to upgrade to Vista, better yet upgrade your memory at the same time. Smile
joomla
If you have a dual-core processor or higher it is worth it since Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 came out.

The Mojave project of Microsoft demostrates that their initial failures (releasing it too soon) have worked against them. Because of bad publicity people are not objective anymore.
erlendhg
joomla wrote:
If you have a dual-core processor or higher it is worth it since Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 came out.

The Mojave project of Microsoft demostrates that their initial failures (releasing it too soon) have worked against them. Because of bad publicity people are not objective anymore.

Yes, I know. I have seen the Mojave project, and it is kind of funny. Vista truly has many new and great feautures, but that does not make up for the problem that Vista is slow (at least for me and everyone else on my school).
Subaru
I will say it too
Vista is monster eating RAM etc. Very Happy
What's more they say there will be unofficial DX 10 for XP but for now I don't know if they confirmed it
DX 9 is enough for most games, if You want to run some "monster" that needs DX 10 then You will need stron PC too...like AMD Core Duo, 2 GB RAM (or more) 1 GB VRAM (I mean graphic card memory) and cool sound card like Sound Blaster Cool
You can choose other way, tell me if You can what kind of game You want to run and I will check it, if it will run under Linux Twisted Evil
robinhanks
vista need more hardware to support, more ram, more disk space, higher level CUP, etc.
but vista has more feature than xp, and I think in the future, there would be more application or game could run in vista.
so if you have better hardware, you can try vista.
keane
Subaru wrote:
I will say it too
Vista is monster eating RAM etc. Very Happy
What's more they say there will be unofficial DX 10 for XP but for now I don't know if they confirmed it
DX 9 is enough for most games, if You want to run some "monster" that needs DX 10 then You will need stron PC too...like AMD Core Duo, 2 GB RAM (or more) 1 GB VRAM (I mean graphic card memory) and cool sound card like Sound Blaster Cool
You can choose other way, tell me if You can what kind of game You want to run and I will check it, if it will run under Linux Twisted Evil

I second that! Vista a really a monster eating RAM! Hahaha!

Another thing I hate about Vista is that is has too many versions... Argh! There's Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate and Business. That makes consumers confused on which one to buy.
achowles
I wouldn't. DX10 isn't used at all right now. About the only game to utilise DX10 at all is STALKER Clear Sky and you'd need a bleeding edge machine to even be able to run that at all. Personally, I'm waiting for Win 7 now.
wicke
It all depends on hardware. For better performance and combatiblity with older software (and hardware) it is suggested to still use XP. I've tried Vista and found that some devices didn't work correctly (problems with HomePNA and old scanner).

If you've a PC with power enough (min. 2 GB of RAM and multicore processor), you may have Vista and enjoy the new appearance and other useless extra features but you may have problems with software made for XP or older Windowses. You may have DX10, but if I have understood right, there is still hardware compatiblity problems with this new framework standard.

I bought a month ago Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I haven't used it a lot, because I have a dualboot with Ubuntu. Vista is only for compatiblity with Windows users.
ssthanapati
leosthenerd wrote:

Well I also own a HP laptop with Vista home premium installed in it. And i am happy with it.. its running for about a year now with now software or hardware related problems... My games too run smoothly on it...
cyberbuddy
Vista is good if u have enough memory andif dont have then half of its features will not function properly

also i think Vista has over looked RESOURCES MANAGEMENT ie takes too much resources
Cost wise also costly but security also not good when compared to LINUX or Solaris or MACK
reiika101
I own a Vista, and I don't see anything wrong with it although many people out there are saying that it's horrible and such. The design is pretty sleep and shiny compared to Windows XP. I'm just not sure about the memory issue though. Anyway, it's all your choice.
fadirocks
I heard if you have 64bit system it's recommended to use vista64 after stripping it out from all extra junk and it will run way better than XP!!!
Indyan
fadirocks wrote:
I heard if you have 64bit system it's recommended to use vista64 after stripping it out from all extra junk and it will run way better than XP!!!

I had installed Vista x64, only to realise that a dozen of the softwares I used didnt have 64bit versions. So switched back to Xp 32 bit.