FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which unix OS is the best

kk86bioinfo
I am decided to learn unix OS, what is the unix OS that is suitable to learn and yet with greatest performance? How about FreeBSD?
surdy
FreeBSD is good (thats what i've heard). I never used it as i was exposed to Linux.
I use Linux , which i totally love , I learnt Unix-like OS on Linux.

I personally use Fedora but would recommend Ubuntu if you are new to Linux
Diablosblizz
Ubuntu is great for a Linux operating system. It's very easy to use as well, once you get used to it. Although, mine apparently wanted to uninstall my graphics drivers.
mehulved
BSD's are much closer to unix and have lots of nice things. But, linux is where a lot of work is being done to make it easier for end user. Linux is a much easier way to enter into the *nix world.
Using newbie friendly distributions like ubuntu, mandriva will definitely ease the effort of learning new things.
You can give FreeBSD a shot too, if you're familiar with basic *nix commands and don't hesitate to read documentation.
justtj
learn RedHat
and you can also give its exam and become a RHCE
Red Hat Certified Engineer...
swizzy
I would say Mac OS X Razz i found it amazing, and its built on unix too ( I read somewhere, it was built on FreeBSD)
Studio Madcrow
swizzy wrote:
I would say Mac OS X Razz i found it amazing, and its built on unix too ( I read somewhere, it was built on FreeBSD)

It's based on a mix of FreeBSD and the Mach microkernel. The resulting kernel known as XNU serves as the basis of Darwin (basically the open-souce command-line version of OS X) which the rest of OS X is then built upon.
teko
kk86bioinfo wrote:
I am decided to learn unix OS, what is the unix OS that is suitable to learn and yet with greatest performance? How about FreeBSD?

I think it depends on your background on how much time you´re willing to devote to learning unix. Also every person has their own individual choice and will tell you that such and such unix os is better than the other.

If you´re coming from a complete beginners background I would break it down into some steps first.

1. Learn a unix based system.

Ubuntu has been mentioned and its a pretty good start as it exposes you to a unix operating system,easy to install, is free and probably a good place to build on. Also it runs on many different types of hardware as do others but its reasonably hassle free to setup. To be honest I have never tried installing freebsd so cant comment on how easy it is to install.

Anyway once you´ve a *NIX system installed you can start to learn command line, differnt unix desktops available to you,scripting etc

From there you can probably install other linux distributions, freebsd, or solaris and decide on what you like best.

2. Unix OS with greatest performance

what are you looking to do? Run file servers, web servers, or just everyday computer usage such internet surfing?

If its just for everyday usage then I think any of the standard linux distributions will give you exactly what you want

Once you´re unix knowledge improves you can start looking at ways to increase performance kernel re-compiling and such.

for me I was used to working with solaris at work, then wanted to try linux and installed ubuntu at home and then after a while went to work with gentoo which was tough but learnt alot about linux doing so.
cavedog2
Ultimate Edition 8 is the best! Not one OS can beat it! Its simply amazing! Very Happy
Studio Madcrow
That depends on what you mean by best. Linux has the best hardware support and is generally the best suited for desktop and workstation use. FreeBSD also has good hardware support and while efforts have been made to make it "desktop-friendly" it's still mainly a server OS. Solaris is also very good as a server OS and in some ways may be the "best" Unix. It all really depends on what you want to do, though.