FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have excessive work ruined up your social life?

iyepes
I used to be a workaholic. I remember spending more time at the office than at any other place in the world. And I also remember that in that time I almost lost all my friends, and my family too. They starting making plans without me, at the end he hardly tell me where they were planning to go, because they always expected me not comming.

There are some workaholic here, who feel that all that concentration affected their social lives?

I used to have a workaholic boyfriend, he did not think that work affected him, because working was his biggest delight. So, he didn't worry too much about not having social life. (I don't know if it is necessary to mention that we broke up three years ago, in part because of lack of mutual time). He suffered an aneurisma last month, I don't know if his perspective has changed since that.
RubySlasher
I guess I'd feel my social life dissolving away if I had a social life to begin with.

Georgeboy
I really think that work affects social life. I'm still studying, but the time that was needed to come to the point that I am at this time was very high. There was no time for going out. I mostly have to say to my friends that I didn't have time left. But next to my study, I have a lot of hobbies related with my study. So, I have a lot of social contact, but it is not the same as the most other friends. Due to the impact of the hobbies, I have to disappoint them for birthday parties, etc... I should do something to get more pleasure next to the work.

Iyepes, I don't think it is too late for us. We can still repair the connections. I should advise you to organize something on your own for the family. It cannot be an objective to get the same problems as your boyfriend...
kevbailey
I got to admit. I would fall into the category of a workaholic. I definately think that it has hampered my social life, but it hasn't ruined it. I still get out with friends every once in a while, but I just finished spending a weekend doing work for universtiy. Now I have classes and work all week this week. Other people get out more than I do, but I'm fine being the way I am for now.
viraj
I too do admit that because of too much of the work pressure, I am getting stressed which is making me a different person with friends and family.

Now a days I avoid to go with friends as I am not able to come out of the stress from the work. During weekends I just like to be alone and do nothing.

I think, too much of work load and pressure really results into degrading your productivity.

The employer should make proper balance of work and fun so that they can expect greater level of productivity from their employees.
Afaceinthematrix
Yes and no... I still have friends and I try to spend as much time as I can with them.... but I spend so much time working. I am not a workaholic... I hate working... I just have no choice... I have to work full time so that I can afford to go to school full time... Throw studying and sleeping into the mix and I have very little time... I have a social life at school, but not out of school anymore...
kevbailey
Afaceinthemaxrix, I can totally relate. That is exactly the situation that I am in right now. I hope that will change when I get out of University, but I'm going to be a CA, so I doubt it.
thetinyclam
When I used to do software programming, I found myself locked up on my room before due dates to finish coding for projects. On a lot of those days I spent more than 12 hours on the computer and only taking breaks to use the bathroom and cook dinner. These weeks would cause me to shut myself out from family and friends, and just like you described, they knew better than to ask me to go out for a movie or dinner. As such, this carried over to when I wasn't working rigorously and it definitely damaged my social life. Happens all the time...but someone's gotta pay the bills. Else you can always switch to another industry like me.
iyepes
I think I've rebuild many of the lost time. Partly because I changed my work, for one more interesting an less time demanding. Thanks God for that chance. I also worked on knowing more people, it's funny but facebook have helped me with that, converting virtual friends in real ones.

People who study and work simultaneously have a really hard time maintaining connections with family and friends, but it must be a temporary situation, you have to have you degree some day, and come back to the normal life.
Afaceinthematrix
kevbailey wrote:
Afaceinthemaxrix, I can totally relate. That is exactly the situation that I am in right now. I hope that will change when I get out of University, but I'm going to be a CA, so I doubt it.

What's a CA?
ssthanapati
Not mine... i am not that busy... But my dad's life is kinda ruined i guess... he is always working... Even i get sick of seeing him working all d time
kevbailey
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
What's a CA?

A CA is a Chartered Accountant. It's the abbreviation in Canada.
deanhills
I am certain that quite a number of workaholics love to work. It is a genuine passion for them. To the extent that they just do not care whether their social life is limited or not. They just have much less of a social life, although often you would find that the people in their work environment are their social life, they cannot separate the two. Some workaholics also hate their jobs, but then there could be some fulfilment in a bizarre way of hating their jobs, but still chugging away all the time. Somehow that gives meaning to their lives? Then there are workaholics who feel that they can never be good enough at what they are doing, and being seen to put in enormous hours can compensate in terms of effort. They may feel the same in social settings, and work could be a way to escape. Think this would be unhealthy and destructive, whereas those workaholics who love their work, get some sustenance and actually thrive.
fx-trading-education
thetinyclam wrote:
When I used to do software programming, I found myself locked up on my room before due dates to finish coding for projects. On a lot of those days I spent more than 12 hours on the computer and only taking breaks to use the bathroom and cook dinner. These weeks would cause me to shut myself out from family and friends, and just like you described, they knew better than to ask me to go out for a movie or dinner. As such, this carried over to when I wasn't working rigorously and it definitely damaged my social life. Happens all the time...but someone's gotta pay the bills. Else you can always switch to another industry like me.

So in which industry are you working now.
It would be good to now what industry offers cool jobs.
chatrack
just doing a job - nothing for soiciety means - you are a robot bone to work

be with your society - friends - family - enjoy real life
asim
hi dear,

im also a workholic, i only go home for eatig and sleeping, and now most of the times i dont even like the offs that i get, have a great fren circle in office aswell, we work for dell american support, and we get too much involved in the job as this is our interest, and i believe al my frenzz over here are work holic, they dont have much of social life with family or frenzz, but then, at the end all i can say, we at the work place have been the top team for the last 3 weeks.
BigGeek
I work a lot of hours and I work night shift! I wouldn't call myself a workaholic but like most If I want to keep the job I have to put in the hours. If I had a choice I'd have much more time for social life and family. I'm divorced and live alone with my little dog, so I have no family to worry about anymore. Kinda sucks but she turned into a really mean person and I just hated being around her. Now that I'm single again, I'd love to get out more, but the night shift is just a killer. Plus I was out of town for 2 weeks, I got to take the dog though so i avoided boarding costs for the little guy!

I really wish I had a job that demanded less!!
rightclickscott
Stephy may have to start working even more, but hopefully it won't effect our relationship.
TrueFact
Yeah, you can call me a workaholic as well, but I like my job more than staying with friends. Some people call me Over-practical guy and have to have some fun from time to another. But, it is just not me. I can have fun while working, if like what I'm working on and if I'm not interested in what I'm doing, I get myself a change of pace and find something else that I like more to work on Smile Of course, you are telling yourself now that I'm a real workaholic, but it's just me and that's how I am.

How does affect me and my life? Well, in fact, my whole life goes around my work. I have very few friendships, but they are strong enough to last or that's how I see them.

I'm not saying that this is good, but that's how I live and like my life for now.
me410
There are time to work, usually its time to grow, to make money and attain a good economical situation, to be in your own, when you reach your objetives, then you can think in a family, well, at last this is the ideal timing, but in the real world, regulary the loves arrives at any time mostly in youth. You must decide waht is the way, Love or Work, or a balanced, YES BALANCED¡¡¡ combination, you must had a regular work time, no more than 8 hours a day, and a regular family time, to your love, your kids and live to be happy. If you remains workaholic, you can lost everithing.
Alaskacameradude
Used to be. Long story, but basically I was shy and after I got up my courage and asked a girl out
and got told that I was ugly, I had a hard time doing that again. Did it again, same result and
decided to immerse myself in work. Got a TV station job and worked long long hours. Had no social life at all for a long time. Then when I was 26 I actually noticing a couple girls at work hitting on me. I actually got asked out a couple times and started having a social life again. Ended up starting my
own business cause I wanted better hours and pay. And had a girl ask me to marry her! Now am
happily married and have 3 kids and my own business.....so I guess us workaholics can
mend our ways.