FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP Framework << please sticky this post

What PHP Framework do you use?
Zend
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
PHPCake
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Code Igniter
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

AOP Web Development
HI i would like to have a survey about different php framework although i see a lot of it but i know that every of them have different pros and cons, but what i want to know is a framework that can be flexible for both huge sites or for web apps.

Although i workng now is zend framework, but i'm trying to see some different option of phpcake or CodeIgniter hopefully you can share anything. thanks!
Star Wars Fanatic
I don't happen to use a PHP framework, I code all of my own, but then I haven't had any huge projects where it would benefit me to use a framework.
Here's a comparison of popular PHP frameworks:
http://www.phpframeworks.com/
You can take a look at that and know better then we can what is best for you.
AOP Web Development
yes, i definitely agree, i used to work from scratch for most projects, as you can custom create them but what i want is just try to explore different things, developing different to enhance my skills, although i'm not yet decided which will i start but hopefully i know that someday i gonna use it.
b4r4t
I've heard that Kohana is realy nice. It's rewrited Code Igniter. Better organised, with big community ... You may try this. I'm thinking about trying it when I'll have some free time because after watching tutorials I think that it's realy flexible, user feriendly and easy Smile
rvec
why stickey? It's not like there are tons of topics about it, so it doesn't need an official one. Also it's not something important, and not something everyone should know.

*rvec writes his own code * Cool
phpc0d3r
Usually I write scripts from scratch. I have dabbled in Code Igniter before, but it didn't really suit me. The performance hit from frameworks outweighs the small effort it takes to write my own scripts.

I might look into Kohana, but I highly doubt I'll use it for anything important.

My advice, stop being lazy and write your own code.
kv
phpc0d3r wrote:

My advice, stop being lazy and write your own code.

Using a framework has nothing to do with being lazy. I used to write my own code. Now I feel it is a waste of time. There are very good frameworks available and can be customized to a great extent. It reduces development time a lot.

I use cakePHP. It uses a model-view architecture. Most of the model related stuff is handled by the framework. Using views, you can define how the content should look like (the UI part), add your own css, etc. You can even have multiple views for the same model. The model architecture is so powerful it has inbuilt capabilities of multiple joins.
phucngo
I agreed with kv. A good framework also helps developing rapidly an application with many ready utilities.
I prefer Zend Framework.
Quote:
About Zend Framework

Extending the art & spirit of PHP, Zend Framework is based on simplicity, object-oriented best practices, corporate friendly licensing, and a rigorously tested agile codebase. Zend Framework is focused on building more secure, reliable, and modern Web 2.0 applications & web services, and consuming widely available APIs from leading vendors like Google, Amazon, Yahoo!, Flickr, as well as API providers and cataloguers like StrikeIron and ProgrammableWeb.

It's also modeled in MVC architecture and has a large user community.
Faraz
Some nice info here. I write my own code, but now I am tempted to check out the frameworks mentioned.
AOP Web Development
It's very a good start when learning the basics in php but if you wish to improve and to explore more so i decide to try out some framework and based on your own thoughts atleast it helps me a lot on how to choose where i'm comfortable with.