FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anything like this exist?

william
I have one USB device that I would like to share between two computers that are right next to each other. The USB device will only be used by one computer at a time, but is there a way I could have it connected to both at the same time? And then using a switch, I could connect the device to the other computer? Basically, I don't want to disconnect it from one computer, then move it to the other, and then back to the old one. So, anybody know of a device that will allow me to do this with just the flip of a switch. Eventually, I'll just use an old computer as a server and then share this device with every computer on my network, but that is not needed yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
ocalhoun
If the two computers are networked, it depends on what kind of device it is:

Data storage, scanner, printer: definitely!
Video camera, modem, wifi adapter: maybe
Keyboard, mouse, joystick: probably not

You could look into KVM switches with USB capability, but that will still allow only one computer at a time to be connected, just making switching between them very easy.
william
I was using "device" as a generic term, but right now it would be an external hard drive. I could network it, but was wondering if there was any other way I could do it. A KVM with USB ability is about what I'm looking for, but is there any way I can get the USB functionality without the use of a KVM (since I don't need the other features)? And if not, what cheap KVMs do you recommend? (I'm on a tight budget).

Thanks again.
Diablosblizz
I think networking would be the easiest for what you want. It's fairly easily done, and you don't know how I already made a post which can be found here.

Good luck.
william
Yeah, I know how to do it. It actually should still be set up from awhile ago. The only problem is that I don't want to have both computers on at the same time, when it's unnecessary. That is all. I've actually been looking to find an old computer that could serve as a print and file server.

Oh well, maybe it's best that I network it. Just might be a few compatibility issues that might occur since one computer is running Linux and other is running Windows.
Diablosblizz
A server sounds like a fun idea. Maybe that's just me. If your work or school or one has one kicking around pick it up, it'll be worth your while.
william
Yeah, I've been asking some friends of mine if they had any old computers that they no longer needed. Haven't been successful yet. One has a couple but says he "needs them for future projects" and another just wants to make cash off of them. I have some computer parts lying around, so I might be able to put one together, but I don't think I have a CPU and motherboard that are compatible with each other. I could possibly find a thrift shop and look there. As long as the machine is capable of running 24/7 while remaining silent, I'll be fine.

Well, I guess at this point I'll need to see how things will work out between the two OSes.

Thanks for the responses. Very Happy
ocalhoun
william wrote:

Well, I guess at this point I'll need to see how things will work out between the two OSes.

Once you get samba set up on the linux box, it should work fine.
william
ocalhoun wrote:
william wrote:

Once you get samba set up on the linux box, it should work fine.

Oh, nice. Yeah, it looks like it should work. Thanks for that. Very Happy

Now, I will go ahead and try it out.