FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

break in...

Srs2388
I was wondering if anyone has been through this...
about a year ago... some black guy (a big guy at that) had a knife.. outside my window when i opened the curtains more.. he had been watching and was going to try to get in. I grab a shotgun and go outside... he was gone. so I then called the cops.
They couldn't do anything because he was gone... his name is "butterball" is all i know. they knew who i was talking about...
well about 2 weeks ago... someone else that has already broken into 3 homes and destroyed things..
well I have been hearing someone trying to get in at night. i have a switchblade knife that i keep by my bed if worse comes to worse.
well i come home... I look and see what was my grandmothers (she is dead now)
big dresser... the mirror on it was broken.
i was sweating i was so mad... I KNOW it was that S.O.B that broke into my friends house.
my door had signs of someone trying to get into the house as well.
I have thousands of dollars worth of stuff in my room. huge HD tv... huge subs for my surround sound...
he didn't get that. but broke what was my grandmothers dresser.
this guy was caught breaking into a friends house. I helped out with the cops because he had told me some stuff... so i went to the cops.
he found out...
so now he "has it out" for me....
cops didn't put him in jail..... this guy is still out riding his loud piece of shit bike around town everyday passing my house..
the cops wouldn't do anything much..

BUT. i had my music up once... the cops had no problem coming and doing something about that... i wasn't wearing a seatbelt... again cops had no problem giving me a ticket.
I just don't see this as fair.

if i EVER see him in my house. I'm taking it into my own hands. I will stab his ass.
i wont hesitate.
he has to go to court... but until then he gets to roam around the streets causing trouble.

what made me mad as well is... just damn... the cops come to my house if i have music up.
but someone breaking in... nah he just gets a slap on the wrist.

what is going on with our justice system these days?
Afaceinthematrix
Ahhh, the justice system sucks. There's nothing new about that.

Good luck with this situation. If "worse comes to worse" and you end up stabbing him, you'll most likely get arrested for legal reasons, even though millions of citizens (like me) will thank you because you actually did something useful in making the streets safer.

I don't blame police officers, though. The problems goes much higher (at least in the United States). Our prison system itself is a joke. More money is spent on each prisoners each year than most people make in an entire year of hard work. No one is afraid of our prison system. It's full of gangs. Many people get in and then they misbehave to make sure that they never get out because they began to learn the life of a prisoner (watch prison shows on the television).

Prison should be nonstop hard labor (there's plenty of trash that could be picked up on the highways) with all the prisoners chained up to shackles so that they can't get away. It should be something that people actually fear going to.

But, those types of things will never happened because there are too many damn whiny people in the United States that will complain about prisoner rights right after getting evolution out of science classes.

P.S.
I think that it's stupid that you got pulled over for not wearing your seat belt. That law is stupid. Why should you be punished for doing something that can hurt no one except yourself?
xaogo
The criminal justice system in america (i'm assuming you live here) is flaw. There are many things that are flawed (ie the stupid seatbelt law). Maybe you should leave the door open and pretend not to be home then knock the guy out cold. POS human beings like that don't deserve fair treatment. They need to be 'rehabilitated'
ocalhoun
Personally, I'd prefer the shotgun to the switchblade...
I've heard that the legal penalties are actually less severe usually if you kill in self-defense rather than injure in self-defense anyway.
Or, if you wanted to be really evil and proactive about it, an explosive device wired into that bike would do nicely.
Helios
As far as I know, you are allowed to hurt the guy inside your own house, but I wouldn't really go that far.
How about installing some sort of a security solution? Heck, you might even use your massive sound system as an alarm!
Protect your house from him, and from other morons who might try to get in. I'd say that this is a pretty good investment.
psycosquirrel
I live in downtown Atlanta and see crap like this all the time. If he's in your house shoot him.

Otherwise, ignore him.

You could always hunt him down and stalk him to freak him out too. But that's risky, because the guy's probably a psycho.

Just get an alarm, a gun, and be ready for war.
Futile
I agree with ocalhoun. I prefer the shotgun to the knife. But if you are not willing take someone’s life without hesitation or remorse stick to the knife. The last thing you want is to pull a gun and get it taken away from you. If someone breaks into your house put them down. There are a lot of stupid laws that are enforced. But they are laws just the same. If the police showed up about your music being too loud I am almost sure since you said that you have neighbors that one of them called the police because your music was too loud. You do have the right to play your music as loud as you want. But once your right infringes on another ones right whether intentional or not you forfeit that right. You have no hard evidence that this individual broke into your house. If the police went and arrested everyone that someone thought did something we all would be in jail for one reason or another. The law is only flawed to a lot of people when it doesn't work in their favor. Bottom line is Man up. Protect yourself, your family and your property and stop whinning.
psycosquirrel
If you do get a gun and take that route,

DONT GET A SHOTGUN.

Trust me, you will not like using one indoors. The buckshot will ruin EVERYTHING in the room you fire it in. Even if you're dead-on with your aim, some of the buckshot will go through or past the guy, and embed itself in your walls, tv, computers, girlfriend, etc.

Get a .30-06. It will have more than enough stopping power, and won't destroy your stuff.
Afaceinthematrix
Helios wrote:
As far as I know, you are allowed to hurt the guy inside your own house, but I wouldn't really go that far.
How about installing some sort of a security solution? Heck, you might even use your massive sound system as an alarm!
Protect your house from him, and from other morons who might try to get in. I'd say that this is a pretty good investment.

Well in the United States the law regarding that is extremely tricky. If it's in self-defense then you are allowed to attack (in a way that's only 'protecting' yourself). However, if someone was burglarizing your house, and they had their back turned, then killing them would be murder. So basically, if I walk into someone's house and say, "I'm just going to steal from you; I'm not going to hurt you" I would be protected by law.
Futile
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Well in the United States the law regarding that is extremely tricky. If it's in self-defense then you are allowed to attack (in a way that's only 'protecting' yourself). However, if someone was burglarizing your house, and they had their back turned, then killing them would be murder. So basically, if I walk into someone's house and say, "I'm just going to steal from you; I'm not going to hurt you" I would be protected by law.

Aface is right. Self defense is an extremely tricky issue here in the US. There was a case a few years back where a guy came home, got out his car in the gargage and heard a noise. Someone was breaking in his house. He then gets his gun out of the gun safe in the gargage and starts looking for the person who is in his house. He finds the person going out the front door with a TV. He yells, "Stop!" and the guy starts to run. He shoots, hits the guy in the back, doesn't kill him and he gets sued because the guy wasn't threating his life. If he had killed him he would have been up for man slaugther.

psycosquirrel wrote:

DONT GET A SHOTGUN.

Trust me, you will not like using one indoors. The buckshot will ruin EVERYTHING in the room you fire it in. Even if you're dead-on with your aim, some of the buckshot will go through or past the guy, and embed itself in your walls, tv, computers, girlfriend, etc.

Get a .30-06. It will have more than enough stopping power, and won't destroy your stuff.

The only reason I recommended a shotgun is because that is what he said he had. You are right a shotgun will leave buck shot everywhere. I wouldn't even recommend a 30-06. I would go with a handgun. A revolver if he is untrained and did not what to take the time to do any practice shooting., because a revolver is basiclly point and shoot. A model 66 .357 with a 4 inch barrel. This would allow for the loading of .38 ammo also for a downgrade in kick and firepower.

The good thing about the shotgun is it takes no real training just get close. Because who is going to give a damn about a TV or wall if it comes to that. A TV can be replaced a wall can be fixed. People do not fall into that category.
ocalhoun
^It may cause a lot of collateral damage, but a shotgun is definitely one of the best close-quarters weapons you could ask for (because your aim doesn't need to be precise, and it has plenty of stopping power). Besides, unless your aim is very good, any gun can cause a lot of collateral damage.
standready
First of all, I am sorry to hear about your problem. An alarm system is a good idea. Motion lights also. Burglars don't like being seen. I would take shotgun over knife but not shoot burglar in the back.

As for your seat belt ticket; it is just a source of revenue for the system unless it is written for not buckling up a child. I won't wear a seat belt. If I had, I would alredy be DEAD! That truck cut my seat in two and I pushed to the other side with only a broken collar bone and some scratches.
prithvi
Apart from what the others have said, since you'd mentioned earlier that that guy had smashed your grandma's mirror-table while you weren't at home, you should also install a camera at your place and set it for recording when you leave your place.

Evidence will be very important while proving your case in future.
loonix
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
So basically, if I walk into someone's house and say, "I'm just going to steal from you; I'm not going to hurt you" I would be protected by law.

Unfortuantely this is very true. Personally I think if someone is breaking the law in any way shape or form then they should be treat as an outlaw and the law should not therefore protect them.

Maybe its called the criminal justice system for a reason. Justice for criminals perhaps :s
Afaceinthematrix
loonix wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
So basically, if I walk into someone's house and say, "I'm just going to steal from you; I'm not going to hurt you" I would be protected by law.

Unfortuantely this is very true. Personally I think if someone is breaking the law in any way shape or form then they should be treat as an outlaw and the law should not therefore protect them.

Maybe its called the criminal justice system for a reason. Justice for criminals perhaps :s

Are you sure? If someone is breaking the law in any way, shape, or form the law shouldn't protect them? If I'm driving down the highway at 65 MPH (the speed-limit) and someone drives by me in the other lane at 75 MPH I should be able to shoot them? If I need to cross the street and I don't want to walk half a mile down the street to get to the cross walk, just to walk back, and so I J-Walk, cars should aim to hit me? The law should protect people if they are breaking minor laws, but I definitely agree that people breaking certain laws should have no protection by the law.
linkmenot
I kno it sounds stupid but one night this guy was standing just outside on the window ledge and i was scared shit. n then he just jumped away..only then cud i move
tony
WOW; this topic is so scary!

I don't know the answer either.
hofodomo01
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Quote:
I'm just going to steal from you

Quote:
steal from you

Quote:
steal

Wat.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I would be protected by law.

loonix wrote:
Unfortuantely this is very true.

=/
missdixy
psycosquirrel wrote:

DONT GET A SHOTGUN.

Holy crap I laughed at this for like thirty seconds haha. I really found the whole 'girlfriend' part pretty funny Mad
friuser
Actually I would check your home owners insurance or if you don't have enough coverage to get some right now. So next time you have your shot gun you won't think too much of the damage caused by it since you would be covered? am I wrong? Either way this is a really serious topic and thankfully no. I use to be in a neighborhood where my apartment got robbed but after I moved I don't have much problems from noise and shaddy individuals.
Arty
People are idiots Confused
Gonzalo
Dr Stupid says:

You buy a lousy cheap weapon that may not be tracked by police (maybe in another state). When the burglar is performing at your home, you inject him with your shotgun.
After demise, you plant the gun. Self defence. You invite me for tea.

Best regards.
Subaru
Uhm I don't know how it is with law in USA (I think You live here Razz) but maybe You should have Shotgun (YEAH!!) always near Your hand...just in case...or observe him at what time he is trying to do something and then first call police earlier and tell them to come at this-and-this time near Your house...that trap can work or not Razz maybe consult it with them first because in my country without consulting it, when Police would came and nobody would be there, then I would have to pay for calling them without sense Laughing
Hmmm oh yeah buy Minigun for this occasion Twisted Evil
psycosquirrel
friuser wrote:
Actually I would check your home owners insurance or if you don't have enough coverage to get some right now. So next time you have your shot gun you won't think too much of the damage caused by it since you would be covered? am I wrong? Either way this is a really serious topic and thankfully no. I use to be in a neighborhood where my apartment got robbed but after I moved I don't have much problems from noise and shaddy individuals.

Homeowners insurance and renters insurance will not cover damage by guns, tanks, mortars, or any sort of warfare. It is simply silly.

You might be able to get a special plan for it... But seriously, if you are having to consider bullet damage in your insurance, you MIGHT want to move.

Gonzalo wrote:
Dr Stupid says:

You buy a lousy cheap weapon that may not be tracked by police (maybe in another state). When the burglar is performing at your home, you inject him with your shotgun.
After demise, you plant the gun. Self defence. You invite me for tea.

Best regards.

I considered this approach in my own home, but untraceable weapons are extremely hard to procure legally. You could always go the DIY route and make a potato gun, but you'd have to ask the robber to wait while you load your potato and propellant. I get the feeling he or she wouldn't go for that.

Mmm. Tea.
Rico
Break-ins: once in my 1st house, four in my second house.
Car break-ins: five
Cars stolen: one
Ripped off: I’ve lost count
Stuff stolen from my yard: I’ve lost count

In South Africa, crime is the national sport. If you shoot anyone you go to jail whether they’re a bad guy or a very bad guy. If you’re of average build or smaller you will get raped, and you will contract HIV. They even have a name for it, it’s called a ‘slow puncture’.
ocalhoun
Rico wrote:
If you shoot anyone you go to jail whether they’re a bad guy or a very bad guy.

Hm, only if they catch you though, right?

@psychosquirrel:
It is possible to get untraceable guns. I had the opportunity a few months back, when I saw a couple of rifles for sale at a garage sale. They were just .22's, but they would do in a pinch, and absolutely no paperwork would have been filled out if I bought them. If I had used them, and the cops tried to trace them to me, they could only trace them to the guy who sold them to me, who might be able to remember enough to give a rough description.
Rico
ocalhoun wrote:
Rico wrote:

Unlicensed firearms are a major no-no in my neck-o-the-woods. Our government is practically communist and you’ve heard how paranoid the reds are about citizens taking care of their own safety? They’ve systematically been disarming lawful citizens of their arms since the day they came into power. (What’s really disturbing is that unlicensed arms are freely available, you often see R4 auto assault rifles on perps that have had a run in with the law. The way I see it you can by a hot R4 from ant army base if you have enough cash. The terms moral accountability or honor code are not generally known in the SA armed forces, nor the police for that matter or any branch of government).

Some of the rent-a-cop firms have taken to chucking bad guys into Emmerentia lake. It takes a bad guy longer to get out of the lake than what it takes to make bail.
jmlworld
ocalhoun wrote:

Or, if you wanted to be really evil and proactive about it, an explosive device wired into that bike would do nicely.

Loll. Yeah, to get rid the S.O.B. off, you shouldn't fire him with your shot gun. You'll be probably punished for crime, murder and something like that.

As Ocalhoun suggested, putting some killer material on his bike would be useful!
loonix
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
loonix wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Are you sure? If someone is breaking the law in any way, shape, or form the law shouldn't protect them? If I'm driving down the highway at 65 MPH (the speed-limit) and someone drives by me in the other lane at 75 MPH I should be able to shoot them? If I need to cross the street and I don't want to walk half a mile down the street to get to the cross walk, just to walk back, and so I J-Walk, cars should aim to hit me? The law should protect people if they are breaking minor laws, but I definitely agree that people breaking certain laws should have no protection by the law.

I expressely stated in my post 'minor misdemeanors aside'...

OK I didn't but should have done =) you make a good point
psycosquirrel
Rico wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Rico wrote:

Unlicensed firearms are a major no-no in my neck-o-the-woods. Our government is practically communist and you’ve heard how paranoid the reds are about citizens taking care of their own safety? They’ve systematically been disarming lawful citizens of their arms since the day they came into power. (What’s really disturbing is that unlicensed arms are freely available, you often see R4 auto assault rifles on perps that have had a run in with the law. The way I see it you can by a hot R4 from ant army base if you have enough cash. The terms moral accountability or honor code are not generally known in the SA armed forces, nor the police for that matter or any branch of government).

Some of the rent-a-cop firms have taken to chucking bad guys into Emmerentia lake. It takes a bad guy longer to get out of the lake than what it takes to make bail.

Wow, stuff like this makes me appreciate living in the US...

ocalhoun wrote:
Rico wrote:

@psychosquirrel:
It is possible to get untraceable guns. I had the opportunity a few months back, when I saw a couple of rifles for sale at a garage sale. They were just .22's, but they would do in a pinch, and absolutely no paperwork would have been filled out if I bought them. If I had used them, and the cops tried to trace them to me, they could only trace them to the guy who sold them to me, who might be able to remember enough to give a rough description.

Holy crap! I would have bought them in a heartbeat. Having an untraceable gun is ALWAYS a good thing... If you have a gun and no one knows about it, they will not be suspicious of you. On the other hand, if you have a safe full of AKs, they will think you are guarding something and try to break in.
ocalhoun
psycosquirrel wrote:

Holy crap! I would have bought them in a heartbeat. Having an untraceable gun is ALWAYS a good thing... If you have a gun and no one knows about it, they will not be suspicious of you. On the other hand, if you have a safe full of AKs, they will think you are guarding something and try to break in.

Well, they were only .22's, not much stopping power unless you get a head shot... Also, I didn't have any use for them planned. For now, I don't have any reason to have unregistered firearms.
(Plus, they were expensive, and I had a limited supply of cash at the time. If I got them, I wouldn't have been able to get anything else, and there was some good stuff there... Best garage sale I ever went to.)
jordanklog
standready wrote:
First of all, I am sorry to hear about your problem. An alarm system is a good idea. Motion lights also. Burglars don't like being seen. I would take shotgun over knife but not shoot burglar in the back.

As for your seat belt ticket; it is just a source of revenue for the system unless it is written for not buckling up a child. I won't wear a seat belt. If I had, I would alredy be DEAD! That truck cut my seat in two and I pushed to the other side with only a broken collar bone and some scratches.

Should be clear about, everyone needs a home security system such as burglar alarm kits installed in their house. Those who do not install a waiting game, counting down a few weeks or even days, until their unfortunate victims of crime.
ProfessorY91
I want to second the idea of an Alarm System, if you can afford it. Its one of those deterrents that may just save your life. I'd also recommend keeping your weapons close to hand. The laws in this country are quite clear about using force to defend yourself if your house is wrongfully entered. While I would typically advise caution, this seems like a classic case of you going down fighting something that you have no control over. I personally own a ruger, which I keep ... handy, to protect myself and my family. I can't blame anyone for doing the same. Best of luck to you, and try not to provoke the inevitable confrontation.
Flegit
Man, be happy you aren't living in Ukraine. Our current president did time in jail twice, for rape and burglary. You can imagine how our policemen do their job, if even our president has been a notorious criminal (still is, actually, but on a way higher level)...
ocalhoun
psycosquirrel wrote:

DONT GET A SHOTGUN.

[...]

Reading this topic after it has resurfaced years later... I'm just struck at how wrong this statement is.

A .30-06 is a horrible home defense choice.
A- It will have extreme over-penetration issues: it will go through the bad guy, through your stuff, through the wall, down the street, through your neighbor's wall, through their stuff, and still have plenty of power left to kill someone.
B- Most firearms in that caliber are unwieldy in close quarters, have a very small magazine (better not miss!), and have a low refire rate. They will also generally be more expensive than similarly capable, more appropriate caliber weapons.

Also, a shotgun will not destroy everything in the room. (Unless it is a (usually illegal) sawed-off shotgun.)
The shot from a shotgun spreads more slowly than most people assume. At home defense ranges (less than 50ft range) it will generally spread less than 1ft... Which, unless you're dealing with a hostage situation or something equally unlikely, should be perfectly adequate precision.

For home defense,
Best: Shotgun - variety of ammo, forgiving on aim, least over-penetration, best firepower, non-lethal options available
Good: Handgun/revolver - reduced over-penetration (depending on caliber), easily maneuverable in tight indoor spaces.
Marginal: Assault rifle - large magazine, reduces the disadvantages of most rifles by having high refire rate and (generally) reduced over-penetration. Also generally shorter, and more maneuverable in tight spaces.
Worst: Rifle (such as a .30-06) - extreme over-penetration, very poor maneuverability, (usually) low refire rate and small magazine, often fitted with scopes rather than sights which makes short-range shooting more difficult.
deanhills
@Ocalhoun. When I see this, all I can say is I'm glad I'm not living in the United States. Where violence must have become so prevalent that self-defense has grown into one of being armed to the teeth. Looks like a place for high-risk living.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
@Ocalhoun. When I see this, all I can say is I'm glad I'm not living in the United States. Where violence must have become so prevalent that self-defense has grown into one of being armed to the teeth. Looks like a place for high-risk living.

Amen to that.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Well, in some parts of the US...

But I'm just saying, if you're going to get a gun for home defense, you might as well get the best one for the job, not the worst one.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
But I'm just saying, if you're going to get a gun for home defense, you might as well get the best one for the job, not the worst one.
I wouldn't expect anything less from you Ocalhoun. Razz

I know you collect guns as a hobby. How do you keep those secure? Do you have hiding places for them, or a proper safe?