FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My first Linux try.

Diablosblizz
Well it's that time for me to try Linux, Ubuntu actually, and it's actually pretty freaking awesome! I'm thinking of switching my server to Ubuntu (the desktop version because I don't want command line) and I want to know if I can install Apache, MySQL and PHP. I don't want to try it here, because I am running it from CD and if I install something won't it stick to my hard drive?

So, I just want to know if I can run all these programs on a server with only 733 MHZ and 512 MB of ram. Razz Nothing big, but it only supports a few users so I don't need anything huge. I am also worried about security, I have NO idea how to secure Ubuntu, and I need to know how to disable people from (as windows calls it) Remote Desktoping my server. I have my Server all secure currently, with the Firewall and whatnot, but what about Ubuntu.

Any information is plenty helpful! Thanks!
ocalhoun
Those system specs are easily enough to run a Linux web server, unless you have some extreme server load going on.

Try out different versions before sticking with Ubuntu though...
My favorite is SuSE, and Redhat is very good too.

Specifically for your situation, running a web server, I would use SuSE booting up into one of the older window managers, like windowmaker, so that it wouldn't use much system resources. KDE is a little bloated for older systems.
Diablosblizz
I've looked as SuSE, and I'm not sure if it's free or not. I need a free version, cause that's another good feature about Linux.

And no, there is no great server load (other than the weekly virus scan - which I can get rid of by switching to Linux).
ocalhoun
SuSE is free- all versions of it, though Novell tries to make money off of it.
For one thing, Novell is required by the license of Linux to provide source code. Also, if they won't give it to you for free directly, you can simply find it somewhere else and download it for free legally from there, because redistributing the software is legal by the license as well.
SuSE itself is controlled by Novell, but when Novell took tight control of it, it split off into SuSE and Open SuSE. Open SuSE stays closer to the open source ideals of being always free and editable by anyone.
Diablosblizz
I think I am going to go with Ubuntu Server. I'm starting to get a hang of these commands so I think it won't be too hard. Apt-get is very convenient.
leosthenerd
Ubuntu is probably the best type of linux to go with. Even though I dont like linux and have no use for it, using it for server stuff and anything else is a good idea because it doesnt suck like vista.
Diablosblizz
Ubuntu is very good for desktop use as well. I am trying to switch to Ubuntu server, but so far nothing is going my way. Apparently, it's corrupted and I have no idea as to why. I am going to download and burn the ISO again, but it already formatted my hard drive so I no longer have a working server. Razz Oh well, you live and learn.
mehulved
Even on ubuntu server you can always install GUI. Fluxbox is a very nice GUI, it balances nicely between ease of use and resource usage. It may feel a bit awkward initially coming from windows background but once you get used to it, it's really nice to use.
ocalhoun
A first timer, going with a command-line only installation?
Good luck!
I would still install at least a light-weight GUI on it though. Linux's command line is far better than window's, but some things are still much easier to do graphically.
Diablosblizz
Well, I have it half working. It's really odd, apparently my FTP server is running, although I cannot connect to it. I don't know how to make a new user for the FTP. On top of that, I am supposed to edit files that I am unable to locate. I don't know where they've gone, but they've gone somewhere. Tomorrow is another day though.

I agree with the GUI part ocalhoun, but it was worth a shot. I did get Apache and MySQL working though. I suppose I'll install FluxBox on it and remove it when I am finished, because after that nothing is touched.

First experiences never go well for me.
ocalhoun
Diablosblizz wrote:
because after that nothing is touched.

I wouldn't count on that; you never know when something might need changing...
Besides, leaving a lightweight GUI on the system won't hurt anything.
kansloos
Personally I prefer Debian over Ubuntu Server, but as Ubuntu is based on Debian there isn't a very large difference
LostOverThere
In terms of a lightweight desktop environment, I prefer LXDE to Fluxbox. It's much more featureful over Fluxbox, and much more lightweight then Xfce.
Skye001
For me my personal fav(s)

Server usage: CentOS , Gentoo , Fedora Core
Desktop usage: OpenSUSE , Ubuntu
Laptop: None, laptop support is growing but very slowly...

Only reason I have not switched to Linux because I am a laptop user and use Dual Screen most of the time and this is well not suppoted with most gfx drivers available on linux. (Strictly speaking on ATI)

But what you can do on Windows you can do on linux - to an extent besides Exchange and possibly Active Directory... the only two pieces of software why enterprises keep a windows environment.
ocalhoun
Skye001 wrote:

But what you can do on Windows you can do on linux - to an extent besides Exchange and possibly Active Directory... .

Linux has at least some Active Directory support, and there are alternatives to Exchange.
[FuN]goku
kansloos wrote:
Personally I prefer Debian over Ubuntu Server, but as Ubuntu is based on Debian there isn't a very large difference
I hear ya man Smile debian is sweet

Anyways to name a few lightweight GUI's

Fluxbox, Blackbox, Xfce , Openbox, fvwm, icewm, metacity.

I personally prefer blackbox, but xfce is also pretty good.
mehulved
kansloos wrote:

+1
After having tried out some server stuff on ubuntu, I'd be a bit vary of using ubuntu as server. And more often than not you wouldn't need latest stuff on the server side. So, debian makes a very good choice. If you need something that is less outdated then one can opt CentOS, which has fairly new applications available with the shipped release.
Ubuntu makes for great newbie distro and eases some things true, but as a server distro I'd surely avoid it.
Diablosblizz
Well I've done it without GUI. Smile It was hard and painful, but I successfully did it. Now trying to get Ubuntu Server to detect my Printer and share it through the network. So far no luck. Sad
Skye001
ocalhoun wrote:
Skye001 wrote:

But what you can do on Windows you can do on linux - to an extent besides Exchange and possibly Active Directory... .

Linux has at least some Active Directory support, and there are alternatives to Exchange.

I know there is a few... Redhat has its own which is used in Fedora and CentOs but functionality wise you just simply cant beat Active Directory and how exchange integrates with it. Also yes their is a few exchange alternatives... Zimbra, Scalix but nothing will compare to the functionality exchange has to offer...
Studio Madcrow
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well I've done it without GUI. Smile It was hard and painful, but I successfully did it. Now trying to get Ubuntu Server to detect my Printer and share it through the network. So far no luck. Sad

I've found printer sharing under Linux to be quite painless, even to the extent that once a printer is shared, all the other Linux computers in the house can automattically see and use it without needing any extra configuration. With that said, what seems to be your problem?
ocalhoun
^Printer detection can be very hard though. Printer support for linux is still spotty, because all the drivers have to be supplied by the OS (or other linux-friendly sources), and there are so many different printer models out there.

Check your printer with the hardware compatibility list for your distro.