FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sleeping

Afaceinthematrix
Where do you sleep when traveling? Do you spend the money for a hotel, do you use a hostel, or do you find some other place to sleep?
gregge123
I usually spend some money on a hotel, I think it's nice with a comfy bed to relax in
Afaceinthematrix
But don't hotels cost a lot of money? I can see how it would be nice to have a bed, but I have trouble justifying that kind of money just to sleep (especially when I can find a deserted area outside of town and sleep for free)!
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
But don't hotels cost a lot of money? I can see how it would be nice to have a bed, but I have trouble justifying that kind of money just to sleep (especially when I can find a deserted area outside of town and sleep for free)!

Well, it depends on how much a comfortable bed, a hot shower, and a reasonable level of security are worth to you.

It also depends on the climate where you are.
If it is hot and humid with lots of bugs like where I am, or very cold, it would definitely be best to have a hotel.
Fatality
I haven't traveled much, but the two times i when to Florida (I live in MN) I stayed with my Aunt and Grandmother. A few years ago my sister and I took a three week trip to Germany and we stayed with a family there. My sister had known the family for quite a while and arranged the trip with them prior to going there. But if I were to travel somewhere that I didn't already have a warm bed waiting for me, it would depend. I have half a heart to stay in a hostel just for the experience, but price being a factor I may stay in a medium scale hotel somewhere. ( Unless i had all the money in the world, then i'd go all out for a five star with room service and the whole nine years).
ayour
i dont travel too much but when i travel i spend a lot of money haveing a five stars room with sweet chikitas and a cup of whisky
apple
Cheap-ish hotels for me...no way am I gonna 'find a deserted area outside of town and sleep for free'.... Rolling Eyes
spring567
I would find a place that not cost me too much . I don't think it is worth to pay much money for your sleep because when you are sleeping you feel nothing . Of course I don't care how expensive the hotel is if I am a rich man .
PennyLane
I usually go to a hotel... Or when I'm with a lot of friends or my parents we rent a small house or an apartment. I'm not really into hostels or campings, but that's just my opinion Smile
sana618
the only time we stayed in a hotel was when we had gone to Germany, otherwise we stay with friends or relatives.... even when i'hd gone to India i stayed with a family as a paying guest.
Faraz
Hotel. Cheapest one around that is.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Where do you sleep when traveling? Do you spend the money for a hotel, do you use a hostel, or do you find some other place to sleep?

I have spent many a night at airports! If it is a 24-hour airport. This would compensate for hotel accommodation in the budget, but not cheap range. I am not too great with dumpy hotels, I like hotels where you can get a non-smoking room, really clean sheets, double bed, clean bathroom etc. In the UK they have Premier Inn (slightly better than Ibis, some of the newer Ibis Hotels are not too bad either), I am not sure what a good equivalent in the States would be. Perhaps some of the newer Days Inns? I have never stayed in a Hostel before, nor back packed. Prefer to have my case on rollers! Smile

In South Africa I go for bed and breakfast places in small towns, and lodges in the bigger cities. Johannesburg is quite expensive, but has some good bed and breakfasts available. I stayed at the "Plum Pudding" Bed and Breakfast, in a really very good and safe area in Johannesburg in March. I hit on it on the Internet, and lucked out. Important part when you reserve accommodation in Johannesburg is to get airport transfer included, as that is important from a safety point of view. In October I stayed at a very good Bed and Breakfast called The Safari Club near the airport, that had an airport shuttle included as well. That was a super deal with the nicest bed in a very long time and super quality bedding. All thatched roofs. Lucked out again! Smile
Afaceinthematrix
^^I've slept in airports, too. It beats paying for a hotel (which I am completely against). But then again, I've slept in a lot of weird places (airports, boats, cars, deserted places in town... but 99% of the time when I do travel, I have a tent with me, because that's usually the point of me traveling... I like camping/backpacking (trekking).

Also, I was considering going to South Africa in a couple of years. Any suggestions?
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Also, I was considering going to South Africa in a couple of years. Any suggestions?

Not sure that camping would be ideal from a safety and security point of view. Bed and breakfast may be better, and naturally you need to be careful in the bigger cities, especially Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban. They can be pretty dangerous if you are in wrong sections of it. So possibly good idea to stay there as little as you can, then head out to places on their periphery.

Think I already suggested the Plum Pudding Bed and Breakfast in central Johannesburg. They can help you with airport transfer, and suggest a good taxi service, which is called Roses. My favourite place is the desert called the Karoo, and there you will find nice and small places, very hospitable, and tenting may be doable there, but better check out first when you are there. For example, I love Colesberg, one of the larger hubs in the Karoo. There is a place called Merino Inn with very nice food in their restaurant, I also did a Bed and Breakfast in town (can't remember the name) and the local pub was excellent. There is also a place called Graaff Reinet that I liked too, very historic, fantastic museum, and a nice place to stay Drosdy, perhaps a bit pricey. There is a good camping place, but not sure whether that would still be safe, and plenty of reasonably priced bed and breakfasts. Coast in Eastern Cape is really nice. Port Elizabeth, Jeffrey's Bay, George, Mossel Bay down to Cape Town. Hermanus is an excellent stop for a beautiful coastal resort, Simonstown also great. Sea Point in Cape Town has a nice sea wall, would be careful there for mugging, but still OK during day time, and nice social places to visit there. Hout Bay has some nice more pricey restaurants. Going up North from Cape Town you visit some vineyards in Franch Hoek, can stop in Stellenbosch too, the vineyard stops are of course expensive (as they would be in California) as a tourist novelty of course, then going further north are my favourite less visited places, Van Rjins Dorp, up to Springbok, the Augrabies Falls, then travelling to an interesting place called Pofadder and more places. Being so close to the border of Namibia, you may just as well visit there as well!
themarine
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Yes, I sleep when i was traveling.I can sleep in any place when was very tired.
Libby
This looks fun:

people888
It all depends. I wouldn't pay for a 5 star hotel but will not book the cheapest hotel either if safety is an issue. But sometimes, staying in hostels can be interesting especially in Europe as they are usually very clean and meet many interesting and fun people from all over the world.
Melacos
I really like staying in hostels, as they're generally cheap, and also get you together with loads of interesting people... Though one - even cheaper experience - which was kinda successful was when in the US on one of the classic coast to coast roadtrips. Here me and my buddy chose to spend the nights in the comfort of a standard sedans front seats. This was the scenario for about 1 months, and worked pretty well - not even getting robbed or raped once...!
sw0277
I travel a lot and when I travel I never have a set time or place to stop and sleep. I usually play it by hear and take many things into consideration before stopping like : what kind of an area I am in, how tired I am, or how much time I have to get to where I am going. If your carefull and take your time you can come across a cheap hotel to crash at.
Afaceinthematrix
Melacos wrote:
I really like staying in hostels, as they're generally cheap, and also get you together with loads of interesting people... Though one - even cheaper experience - which was kinda successful was when in the US on one of the classic coast to coast roadtrips. Here me and my buddy chose to spend the nights in the comfort of a standard sedans front seats. This was the scenario for about 1 months, and worked pretty well - not even getting robbed or raped once...!

LoL, nice. I've done that. One time I was traveling with my father and we stopped for the night. We were both going to sleep in the car, but there was actually a picnic table where we parked so my dad slept on the table (he thought it'd be more comfortable) and I slept in the car. It was at least nice and warm.
Triple_7
Depends on what its for. Back in school I took a few trips and we camped out in tents every night as we made our way through the southwest states out to Arizona and back. School trip to Toronto, Canada we spent the 3 nights in a hotel that was provided free of charge. But other then that I usually find a friend or relative to stay with. Makes longer stays a lot easier...plus you have a handy tour guide Razz Only way I pulled off 2 weeks in Anchorage, Alaska was staying with my brother-in-law who was stationed there. Then spent 3 weeks in Taiwan living with my friend and her family. Only personal trip I've had to actually pay for a place to sleep was a couple weeks ago when I flew out to Kansas for 3 days 2 nights to check out a job offer Cool

Best thing if your still in high school and want to see another country...make friends with an exchange student, if you become close enough then you could be invited to come for a visit. My Taiwanese girl and I were really close and still are as friends, I've already been asked to come back over by her family for another visit....I just can't afford the ticket at the moment Crying or Very sad
la_Duchess
I sleep in a hotel. It must be at least a 3 star but prefer a 4 star or higher when the price is right. I love priceline for this sort of discount. Hotwire is good too! I have stayed in many wonderful hotels at dirt cheap prices thanks to these sites. I recommend them to everyone travelling.

I don't camp out at all but, if there is a cabin I might. I like the comfort of the indoors!