FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help needed

schooldays
I've got an issue about linking to files on a website.

I'm using FileZilla to upload files to the server. So I've got the one website, and on one of the pages I need to link to a .pdf file. The website was created in Publisher, so I set the hyperlink to [url]http://www.website name.frih.org/index_files/file name.pdf[/url]. And whenever I click on the link on the actual website, it says the file cannot be found. So basically, how can I link to a .pdf file on my website?

I've tried using a few variations of the link, but none of them seem to work, despite the fact the .pdf has been placed in the directory.

Code:
The requested URL /domains/website name.frih.org/public_html/index_files/file name.pdf was not found on this server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rvec
linking to a pdf is just like linking to a html. If the file is in the same dir you can use a link like this:
Code:
<a href="filename.pdf">click here to download</a>
schooldays
That didn't seem to work, sadly Sad. I've put in this new html part:

Code:
<p style="font-family:verdana;font-size:80%">text goes here   
<a href="http://www.website name.frih.org/index_files/file name.pdf" target="_blank"> text goes here </a>text goes here.</p>

And still I'm getting this...

Code:
The requested URL /domains/website name.frih.org/public_html/index_files/file name.pdf was not found on this server.
mk12327
Are you sure its "frih.org"? Of what I can remember, server 1 is running on "frihost.net" while server 2 is runnng on "frih.net". Both are ".net" domain names. If I'm not wrong, its the typo that is causing the error. Hope it solves your problem.
schooldays
Well, that was the thing. I spent a long time getting the website to work because I using the .net domain. But then I remembered I was on Server 3, so .org seems to be the domain.
rvec
can you find the pdf file in ftp? And what is the full path to the file in ftp?
schooldays
I've just checked back on the website after trying some of the tips and it seems to work Smile. Thanks everyone for the help.
HalfBloodPrince
What may have been the problem is that in Filezilla it was named .PDF (capitals) and you may have linked to .pdf - in future just make sure the filename and link syntax match Smile