FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can anyone recommend a good php IDE for Linux please?

DoctorBeaver
I've been looking at various php editors to use on a Linux PC, but I don't know any of them. I'd like a freeware one, obviously. What would you recommend? Good to use & easy to install. When I say "easy to install", I mean 1 that I don't have to compile. I just want to download, install, and start using it.

Under Windows I was using phpEditor Personal 2008 & Komodo. I'd like something similar for my Linux PC.
leontius
I never used those editors, but PDT (Eclipse in PHP mode) is quite nice. If you only need syntax highlighting and powerful code editing you can just use stock text editor (eg. gedit in GNOME) or SciTE (which is what I'm using).

Someone recommend me bluefish and I found that although the docs and editing features are ok, I cannot find and replace with regular expression, a feature I sorely need...
DoctorBeaver
leontius -Thanks for your reply

I've installed bluefish. It was quick & easy, and looks as if it will do most of what I want. That's good enough for me. All I want, really, is an editor with syntax highlighting. I don't really need all the bells & whistles you get with some editors. I didn't use half of Komodo's features.
ocalhoun
Quanta+ isn't a php editor specifically, it focuses more on HTML, but it does do php well. Syntax highlighting, built in reference, all that stuff. It is a very nice, very well developed program.

I don't know how hard it is to install though, I've always just gotten it pre-installed with SuSE.
AOP Web Development
after i try in ubuntu you can easily search on tha package manager, for the editor like jedit or bluefish but if you know how to install aptana that would be great