FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Leopard Gekko

joostvane
Hey everyone,

I want a new pet, and I'm just wondering with the public thinks of this. Its called a leopard gekko. Its a very cute animal, its very interested in everything, and a bit shy.

Some images:

The catch is that it eats living insects, like crickets and grasshoppers.
And my parents don't like that... What do you people think?
Is it 'cruel' or just nature? Razz
brokenadvice
I think you could get away with feeding it dehydrated crickets and such if that is the problem, but I am pretty sure that the lizard would like live bugs much better. I have always taken the view that crickets are pests, (it probably has something to do with crickets keeping me up at knight), and as should be eradicated.
SimdudeS
I don't find it to be too cruel...

Do you eat meat?
Do your parents?

If they do, then it's just much his nature as it is yours.
joostvane
Lol, nice argument to open a discussion with my parents. Thanks.
ocalhoun
I do believe thats the first time I've ever seen a lizard I would call 'cute'...
WicCaesar
Just nature! Are your parents vegetarian people?

I once wanted an iguana, to eat the mosquitoes, but left the idea aside as a new conception of pets sprouted in my conscience.
Rico
Insects aren’t sentient; I think your folks are having you on.
ocalhoun
Rico wrote:

There are varying degrees of sentience; I'm not sure about insects, but there are some very smart spiders.
Rico
ocalhoun wrote:
Rico wrote:

There are varying degrees of sentience; I'm not sure about insects, but there are some very smart spiders.

I must admit I don’t find any pleasure or satisfaction in killing insects, especially spiders. The last spider I killed was by accident and I actually feel sorry for the little bugger. Varying degrees of sentience, I must agree with. They’re definitely awake, alert and aware but whether they are conscious is another question. On the other hand an Octopus is technically a bug and they are extremely intelligent. I retract my statement that insects aren’t sentient.

To joostvane:
My suggestion is you give the insects something that would alter their consciousness before you feed them to the Gecko. You might have a problem finding a cricket sized martini glass.
Zombie
I have a leopard gecko that's about 4-5 years old, they make great pets. I think they live for about 30 years, so if you're thinking of buying one, you should consider the long-term commitment. I bought mine when I was about 13, and now I'm in college. I'll likely still have it when I have children. Major commitment. Great pet thogh. They aren't messy, I put a piece of toilet paper in his cage and he never misses! They're also very calm and easy to handle. Also, they can go without food for a few month due to their fat-storing tail. Also, you can feed them fruits if you don't have any crickets, I feed mine apples and bananas sometimes.

well anyway goodluck!
bonestorm74
Gekkos are great. My daughter certainly loves them, every time she sees one in the house she starts chanting "gekko!" and has to go over and check it out. She's only two though. I guess it's something she'll grow out of eventually.

That little fella is certainly very cute.
jabce85
ha, cruel? if it's what they eat, it's what they eat.... why else would animal stores sell live crickets, mice, and other bottom of the food chain animals?