FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Saddleback Forum - McCain and Obama





gcaughill
Hello,

Who watched the recent Saddleback forum on CNN?

I saw most of Obama and some of McCain. Obama did much better in this format I think, he sounded more knowledgable. On his mideast trip, he sounded very unsure about foreign policy, but this time was much more confident.

How did McCain do?

I thought it was a great idea to bring civility in politics, the format was really good except candidates were not pressed on their views.
liljp617
Generic political pandering and constituency-hoarding. Nothing that fantastic came out of it and, once again, the line between church and State has been demolished.
Moonspider
gcaughill wrote:
Hello,

Who watched the recent Saddleback forum on CNN?

I saw most of Obama and some of McCain. Obama did much better in this format I think, he sounded more knowledgable. On his mideast trip, he sounded very unsure about foreign policy, but this time was much more confident.

How did McCain do?

I thought it was a great idea to bring civility in politics, the format was really good except candidates were not pressed on their views.


I thought McCain did better. He came across as more direct and self-assured. Obama did appear very intelligent, eloquent and extremely personable, but he philosophied too much. In my opinion people want their heads of state to be like ship captains, not philosophers. (With all due respect to Marcus Aurelius! Wink)

liljp617 wrote:
Generic political pandering and constituency-hoarding. Nothing that fantastic came out of it and, once again, the line between church and State has been demolished.


How so? I didn't see the state endorse a religion.

Respectfully,
M
liljp617
Moonspider wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Generic political pandering and constituency-hoarding. Nothing that fantastic came out of it and, once again, the line between church and State has been demolished.


How so? I didn't see the state endorse a religion.

Respectfully,
M


Held in the Saddleback Church, which openly states on its website:

Quote:
God is bigger and better and closer than we can imagine.

The Bible is God’s perfect guidebook for living.

Jesus is God showing himself to us.

Through His Holy Spirit, God lives in and through us now.

Nothing in creation “just happened.” God made it all.

Grace is the only way to have a relationship with God.

Faith is the only way to grow in our relationship with God.

God has allowed evil to provide us with a choice, God can bring good even out of evil events and God promises victory over evil to those who choose him.

Heaven and hell are real places. Death is a beginning, not the end.

The church is to serve people like Jesus served people..

Jesus is coming again.


Moderated by Pastor Rick Warren, pastor at the Orange County mega-church (Christian) and author of many Evangelical Christian books.

If that's not endorsing a specific religion, I'm not quite sure what is.

If they want to have a "civil forum" to discuss abortion, same-sex marriage, and so on, it can (and should) be done without the overly Evangelical Christian pastor in a devout Christian church. I don't particularly care if the majority of people in the US are Christian. That changes nothing. And if that's the only reason they did the forum in that setting under those circumstances, then like I said, general pandering and constituency-hoarding.
Moonspider
liljp617 wrote:
[
If that's not endorsing a specific religion, I'm not quite sure what is.


It was sponsored by the church, not the government. Therefore I see no conflict.

Respectfully,
M
liljp617
I do.
Libby
Moonspider wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
[
If that's not endorsing a specific religion, I'm not quite sure what is.


It was sponsored by the church, not the government. Therefore I see no conflict.


Agreed.

I think it's really really gross though, to use the church like this. To paraphrase someone (I forget who) -- "Mixing faith and politics is like mixing ice cream and manure. The manure isn't hurt by it."

liljp617 wrote:

If they want to have a "civil forum" to discuss abortion, same-sex marriage, and so on, it can (and should) be done without the overly Evangelical Christian pastor in a devout Christian church.


Well, the ONLY reason they would be opposed to same-sex marriage or abortion is because they are Christian/religious OR because they are pandering to religious constituencies. So it's actually very appropriate to have this forum in a church.
Glenn08
I think, that in all the case, concerning results of this American elections, it's a good news to know that Bush and its staff leave the white house. Politics is not only a race to conquer the power. And It's not also an opposition about a vision of the world and the comprehension about economic logic( different beetwen repubican an democrat). It's also a question of style. And concerning that, I think that Mc Cain or Obama are less in the "domination style", the wish to dominate everyone. And it's almost a good news to suppose that the futur chief of the United States, the most powerfull country, won't be a man who want absolutely dominate the world
myleshi
From McCain's site:
Quote:
Now we know why the Obama campaign has been so reluctant to put their candidate on the same stage as John McCain. The difference between the two last night was striking. While Senator Obama punted on questions of great importance to the American people, and sidestepped even simple questions about whether the United States must defeat evil, John McCain offered the straight talk voters expect of a candidate for President. Senator McCain's responses reflected his long record of bipartisanship, the anecdotes accumulated from a lifetime of service to this country, and the depth of his experience on matters of national security.

The Obama campaign, shocked that John McCain would have the temerity to upstage their celebrity candidate on national television, is now struggling to find an explanation. According to Andrea Mitchell's reporting earlier today on Meet the Press, the only explanation the Obama campaign could come up with was foul play:

“The Obama people must feel that he didn’t do quite as well as they might have wanted to in that context, because what they are putting out privately is that McCain may not have been in the cone of silence and may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama. He seemed so well-prepared.”

The facts are that Senator McCain was in a motorcade led by the United States Secret Service and held in a green room with no broadcast feed. If the Obama campaign really believes that Senator McCain had some unfair advantage, our offer of weekly town hall forums remains on the table--anyplace, anytime.


I have to agree with this, Obama looked like what he truly is, an empty suit.
Related topics
Is Barack Obama "The One"?
Any Iowa Democrats on the Forum?
Should Hillary concede the nomination to Barack Obama?
Obama: rumors of anti-patriotism?
What can you say about Obama being the next president?
Will Obama become the next assasinated President of America
McCain Compares Obama to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears
McCain choses Sarah Palin as running mate.
Why does everyone love Palin?
Barack Obama vs John McCain
John McCain will really keep taxes low
Republican strategy, via Limbaugh: Wanting Obama to fail
Americans want universal health care. Why can't we get it?
Question about bhengazi
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.