FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bandwidth usage is crazy high for unknown reason, near limit

Donutey
Someone or something is eating up my bandwidth and I can't find out what it is. Awstats only shows ~2.5GB usage for my main domain and ~400MB for the old donutey.frihost.net domain. Nothing out of the ordinary in bandwidth usage.

However, the cpanel bandwidth tool is showing nearly 8.7GB for this month! I've completely disabled hotlinking (except for direct linking ie. putting a url in the browser window), yet nearly 500MB have been transferred today. (Awstats only registered 150MB...)

I'm really not sure what to do, if it doesn't go down tomorrow I'll probably just remove all images temporarily and see if that helps.

Any help or insight would be helpful, thanks.
Bondings
Do you know the websites http://www.egirlgames.com/ and http://www.max4object.com/wp/ ?

They and quite a few others are bombarding the server with tons of requests every second, mostly something like "/images/flag/sv.png", probably a flag image. Also your homepage.

Digging a bit deeper, they are simply using your translation script and using all your flag images (mostly the egirlgames one). The same for a lot of other websites.

This is not a good idea and is stressing the server a lot.
Donutey
Bondings wrote:
Do you know the websites http://www.egirlgames.com/ and http://www.max4object.com/wp/ ?

They and quite a few others are bombarding the server with tons of requests every second, mostly something like "/images/flag/sv.png", probably a flag image. Also your homepage.

Digging a bit deeper, they are simply using your translation script and using all your flag images (mostly the egirlgames one). The same for a lot of other websites.

This is not a good idea and is stressing the server a lot.

Well in cpanel I blocked the IP for the egirlgames server, and I've turned on the hotlinking protection, though it doesn't seem to be doing much (I did this yesterday). As such, I've gone over the bandwidth limit... Rolling Eyes the "girlgame" sites (and variations) pulled over 1GB yesterday...

I'll remove/relocate the images as soon as my site is back up.

Sorry for the problems... Embarassed
Bondings
I unsuspended your account. Please remove the images in question, that should do most of it I hope. Please notify me if the account is suspended again.
Donutey
I deleted all the images related to the translation images (images/flag images/lang), I would have done it earlier but I forgot their was a built in file editor in cpanel... Anyway, my account seems to be suspended again, sorry for the problems.
Bondings
I changed the bandwidth limit of your account to 30GB. I hope that should be enough for the rest of the month (already 16GB used though).
cavedog2
Damn thats some hectic traffic you are getting! Maybe editing a redirection and get those hits to your main page. Sooner or later all the search engins will be crawling and you will get very high listing in yahoo and google
rvec
cavedog2 wrote:
Damn thats some hectic traffic you are getting! Maybe editing a redirection and get those hits to your main page. Sooner or later all the search engins will be crawling and you will get very high listing in yahoo and google

I don't think that's a good idea, best would probably be to throw them an error and hope they stop using your images. Any way they'll still suck up all your bandwidth till you get them to stop using your images.
Donutey
rvec wrote:
cavedog2 wrote:

I don't think that's a good idea, best would probably be to throw them an error and hope they stop using your images. Any way they'll still suck up all your bandwidth till you get them to stop using your images.

You should pay attention who initially started the problem request. Rolling Eyes
cavedog2
Sorry yes. Just it would be very intresting to see what kind of traffic it is. It could be very useful