FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Abs ?





carl_fernandes
How does one achieve those 6 pack abs.. Do you have to join the gym and do a lot of those workouts for that.. Is it possible to get abs by doing crunches at home ?
gh0stface
It IS possible to do ab crunches from work. To achieve the 6 pack where it stands out, you need to burn that layer of fat over that is covering the abdominal muscle. Just doing a lot of ab work isn't going to do that. What you also want to add a lot of cardio such as running and perhaps some weight lifting that focuses more around your core/trunk section.
Drawingguy
I think the magic number for guys is anything under 10% body fat (or 6-7%, depending on what you're reading). Remember- it's not ab strength, but the amount of fat you have over it, that determines it...or, you could just be happy with the keg you have on your torso...
Ghost Rider103
The other two replys are correct.

Everyone has abs. Everyone might not have an amazing 6 or 8 pack, but I guarantee you that everyone abs. To be able to view your abs, you have to lower your body fat percentage. I don't think you need to be under 10% for visible abs. I think even around 15% (depending on your genetics) your abs will be viewable.

Doing crunches and such will help, but that is only 20% of the work to get viewable abs. The remaining 80% is in your diet.

Hope this helps.
gullip
Loose fat and you will have nice 6-pack
profbis
I wanted a six pack too, but instead got me a family pack. Run forest run.
HamsterMan
Just remember, you can't spot reduce fat, and sadly the belly fat is among the last to go, or so I've heard.
b4r4t
It depends on Your body build. If You are not fat, just normal ... for example your BMI is normal (check it here: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm) then You can do exercises at home.
Good exercise is Weider six. In polish it's a6w.
It's a set of 6 exercises which You make 42days.

Here are links:

Explanation - translated from polish site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj1XAOji9U4 - video (don't make it so high like him, try to keep your head-back line streight, don't bend your neck. Don't use hends to pull your head to knees , just hold them behind the neck, but don't use them)

http://www.kulturystyka.org.pl/images/a6w2nl.jpg - image/table (dzien - day, seria - series, powtorzen - repeats)

For example in day 10 you make each exercise 8 times (for exercise 1,3,5 you make 8 for each leg), then max 30sec rest, and again, 30sec rest and again that will be 3 series of 8 repeats of each exercise.
xaogo
honestly there is no easy way to get abs. There must be two conditions that you must achieve before you will have abs.

1. very very little body fat, as the fat will cover any abs that you have. In addition to covering your abs, it will make you look fatter as your abs gets bigger and starts to put the fat out even more than it used to.
2. you need to have a lot of muscle. your occasional crunch isn't going to cut it. you need to have a proper routine if you want strong abs.

I've been doing ab work for a couple months and have only started to see results recently. although i should add that i wasn't very consistent with my workout.
Maserman
do more situps
Skye001
I work out alot but mainly on building muscle, the best way to build a 6 packs is first by increasing the muscle mass, so ideally weight lifting which focuses on the core and obliques. But then equally your diet comes into play, to lose weight really quickly (which worked for me but took its toll on my body) was to go on the atkins diet, high in protein low in carbs.

Reason I chose the atkins diet because when your body needs energy it will eat most muscle mass first before hitting FAT (after all FAT is stored energy)... So keeping your protein levels up helps the body keep the muscle and just focusing on the FAT, but when you are low on carbs you get tired very easily.

You would want to achieve a body fat percentage of 7% then you will start to achieve results.

So if you want a quick big 6 pack weight lifting, if you want a slim 6 pack cardio - alot of running which focuses on all the body and sit ups (their are 6 main different exercises which focus on the abs, splitting it into 3 groups = lower abs , upper abs and obliques... just doing the normal situp is not enough).
malindi731
mainly from crunches,
and hula hooping for like hours straight.
BigGeek
It is basically diet that brings out the abs. I plan on becoming a certified trainer at some point, but mostly to add crediblity to my articles.

Diet is about 80% of it, and exercise is the other 20%. Like many others posting on this topic have pointed out, you need to gain some muscle mass along with the fat reduction to be able to show off those abs.

When it comes to diet you will quickly find out from most of the articles that you read that what drops the body fat is cutting down the carbs. Basically NO SUGAR, and grans and startchs sparingly to not at all depending on your body fat percentage. The big thing is no sugar, or only cosume sugar snacks and drinks right after a workout, and cut them out the rest of the time.

As far as exercise slection goes HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is the method most recommended for fat reduction. Basically HIIT is doing some sort of fairly high intensity work for 30 seconds, rest for 30, or say 1 minute, and rest for a minute. Most trainers recommend a 20 minute fasted cardio session first thing in the AM (before you eat thus comes in the fasted cardio). Then adding in HIIT training for about 10 to 15 minutes on off days from lifting. So say you lift Mon. Wed. and Fri. well you do your HIIT on Tues. Thurs. Sat.

Some really good forums for bodybuilding, weight training, diet and nutrition are:

http://www.wannabebig.com

www.t-nation.com this is simpy the best site out there on the topic!

www.bodybuilding.com

Searching it out on the web is always the way to go. The more you learn and apply the better your results will be Wink

Dave
carl_fernandes
Thanks for all the suggestion youll gave.. But guys is it possible to loose fat and yet look bulky.. becasue you should not have a 6 pack be very thin.. You should looks bulky also.. how is this achieved.... Are those protein shakes a must.. but i dont want to take anything artificial. please advice..
carl_fernandes
BigGeek wrote:
It is basically diet that brings out the abs. I plan on becoming a certified trainer at some point, but mostly to add crediblity to my articles.

Diet is about 80% of it, and exercise is the other 20%. Like many others posting on this topic have pointed out, you need to gain some muscle mass along with the fat reduction to be able to show off those abs.

When it comes to diet you will quickly find out from most of the articles that you read that what drops the body fat is cutting down the carbs. Basically NO SUGAR, and grans and startchs sparingly to not at all depending on your body fat percentage. The big thing is no sugar, or only cosume sugar snacks and drinks right after a workout, and cut them out the rest of the time.

As far as exercise slection goes HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is the method most recommended for fat reduction. Basically HIIT is doing some sort of fairly high intensity work for 30 seconds, rest for 30, or say 1 minute, and rest for a minute. Most trainers recommend a 20 minute fasted cardio session first thing in the AM (before you eat thus comes in the fasted cardio). Then adding in HIIT training for about 10 to 15 minutes on off days from lifting. So say you lift Mon. Wed. and Fri. well you do your HIIT on Tues. Thurs. Sat.

Some really good forums for bodybuilding, weight training, diet and nutrition are:

http://www.wannabebig.com

www.t-nation.com this is simpy the best site out there on the topic!

www.bodybuilding.com

Searching it out on the web is always the way to go. The more you learn and apply the better your results will be Wink

Dave


Thanks for your long post.. It was very useful. can you advice me on how to loose fat and yet maintain a beefy look... My point is that you should not not look thin when you get abs.. you should have a big body also... how is this done... Do you have to take those protein shakes? but i dont want to take them...
Skye001
so beefy body but still want the 6 pack?

Your core is split into 3 sections:
Upper Abs
Lower Abs
Obliques

So split your Ab workout into those 3 sections, lose body fat round the core section until you are happy, or alternatively exercises which focus on building muscle in the core section and you should be fine but takes ALOT of time and patience.
BigGeek
carl_fernandes wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
It is basically diet that brings out the abs. I plan on becoming a certified trainer at some point, but mostly to add crediblity to my articles.

Diet is about 80% of it, and exercise is the other 20%. Like many others posting on this topic have pointed out, you need to gain some muscle mass along with the fat reduction to be able to show off those abs.

When it comes to diet you will quickly find out from most of the articles that you read that what drops the body fat is cutting down the carbs. Basically NO SUGAR, and grans and startchs sparingly to not at all depending on your body fat percentage. The big thing is no sugar, or only cosume sugar snacks and drinks right after a workout, and cut them out the rest of the time.

As far as exercise slection goes HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is the method most recommended for fat reduction. Basically HIIT is doing some sort of fairly high intensity work for 30 seconds, rest for 30, or say 1 minute, and rest for a minute. Most trainers recommend a 20 minute fasted cardio session first thing in the AM (before you eat thus comes in the fasted cardio). Then adding in HIIT training for about 10 to 15 minutes on off days from lifting. So say you lift Mon. Wed. and Fri. well you do your HIIT on Tues. Thurs. Sat.

Some really good forums for bodybuilding, weight training, diet and nutrition are:

http://www.wannabebig.com

www.t-nation.com this is simpy the best site out there on the topic!

www.bodybuilding.com

Searching it out on the web is always the way to go. The more you learn and apply the better your results will be Wink

Dave


Thanks for your long post.. It was very useful. can you advice me on how to loose fat and yet maintain a beefy look... My point is that you should not not look thin when you get abs.. you should have a big body also... how is this done... Do you have to take those protein shakes? but i dont want to take them...


You know the only suggestion I have on how to look big and bulky and have a 6 pack at the same time is to gain as much muscle mass as you can and keep yourself as lean as possible while doing it. This takes YEARS to achieve.

First off to gain muscle mass you have to consume more calories than you burn. Not a whole lot more than what you burn, but enough to keep your muscles growing. A really really gifted individual can gain as much as 2 lbs of lean muscle per month. Most folks are in the 1 lb per month catagory. So that leaves you with about 12 lbs. of muscle that you can gain each year, and that is only possible if you train hard, and remain injury free and are able to train over the whole year.

Usually after about 3 years of solid training and good nutrition will you be able to drop off the body fat show off the 6 pack and still look bulky.

Years my friend, years. It is a dedicated sport. That is why I posted the links to t-nation and the other sites. There is tons of information on how to gain mass strength, and loose fat while in the process.

And yes you will need to add plenty of quality protein to be able to gain decent muscle mass for the look you are after.

There is no magic bullet nor any shortcuts. Not even steriods will give you the rusults that you want without a good diet and years of training!!

Read read read and then apply is the best advice I can give you!!

Dave
driftingfe3s
HamsterMan wrote:
Just remember, you can't spot reduce fat, and sadly the belly fat is among the last to go, or so I've heard.


Yeah this is very true. You have to loose overall body fat before you will start seeing abdominals. It helps to work out your abs with crunches, situps, and leglifts, but if you have fat covering them you won't be able to see it. To loose fat you are going to have burn the fat. Cardio work is good, but high intensity interval traning is the best to get rid of fat.

Also you have to have to eat healty as well, otherwise it would be a wasted effort working out when you are just consuming empty calories to gain back the fat.
winmark
Rope skipping & crunches. A lot of them.
Related topics
Calculating FormattedCurrency
Stairway To Heaven - Satanic Subliminal Messages?
Frankfurt Motor Show, 2005
Favorite metal bands
Do You Have a Tatto?
Lexus IS Has Secret Cheat Code that Enables Massive Peel-Out
Java project coupling problems
a small algorithmic problem.
Do you still use an antenna?
Work out help
het hoogtepunt van de dag
Indian scientists find answers that eluded Einstein
Your Momma Is So Fat''
ABS figures show assaults soaring across Australia
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.