FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

* Scan Sites in Search Engine Itself for Active Threats *

mrinntech
Well if you want to scan your Search Results for Active Threats, before entering the site itself than here is a free simple yet effective way.

For this you must have AVG Free Antivirus 8.0 installed on your system. Set this to Update itself automatically. Now here’s the component that is called Link Scanner which scans for Active Threats present in links

Now as soon as you search the Link Scanner will tell you whether the site you are going to eneter is safe for your computer or not.

For Example:

I searched for avg 8 and the result is shown below

The details of the result consist of the following main points:

* The site is safe or not.
* IP address of the site.
* Scan Date

Here’s the screenshot of the result that says the site is safe

Now I entered warez as search term and see the infection result yourself in the screen shot

The details of the result consist of the following main points:

* Risk Category
* Risk Name
* IP Address
* Scan Date

Here’s the infected Screenshot of the result

So better check your result before entering any infected site through search engines.

Note:

* The above screenshots are meant for giving examples only, there’s no intention of affecting the sites on any personal basis. The scan results are generated completely by AVG Free Anti Virus 8.0.

* The Link Scanner is Only compatible with IE and Firefox (till now).

* The Link Scanner (till my best knowledge) scans results from Google & Yahoo!

Source: http://mrintech.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/scan-sites-in-search-engine-itself-for-active-threats/
surdy
This is a great feature no doubt. I was Happy to ssee this when I upgraded to AVG 8.
Great features that too for free , what more do I need.
ocalhoun
I use that as well, though I would prefer it if you had to click to get the pop-up windows for scan date et cetera. Having them pop up when I accidentally run the mouse over them is a little annoying.

You can also use the Dr. Web virus scanner add-on for firefox to do the same thing, but you have to right click each link you want and scan it specifically.
Diablosblizz
Actually, McAfee SiteAdvisor is free and it does the exact same as the AVG one, and it works with IE and Firefox. I like it a lot, so I have it whenever I am browsing the internet. It's very accurate too.
DjMilez
I use McAfee and it's certainly saved me a few times.

ie. go to http://fulldownloads.us and search "fulldownloads.us is a scam", "ahjdfks", or something stupid.
See, I did not know this and my computer might have been fried if I downloaded something from there. But SiteAdvisor gave me a warning and said it's a scam. Good ol' McAfee =]
Agent ME
Instead of a program that tells you if a website has security threats, why not a program that isn't affected by the security threats? Firefox with NoScript add-on anyone? Razz
mehulved
Doesn't google itself provide such a thing? When you click on such a malicious link, it will first redirect you to a page which warns you. Also, in opera there's this check for malicious pages. If a page is reported as bad than you won't be able to open it directly.
ocalhoun
Agent ME wrote:
Instead of a program that tells you if a website has security threats, why not a program that isn't affected by the security threats? Firefox with NoScript add-on anyone? Razz

There are other ways besides scripts to infect computers. Viruses built into images, malicious, but normal-looking downloads...

What does one more layer of protection hurt?