FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Safari for windows

Tony The Tiger
Can anyone tell me why now Apple is sending updates of Safari for windows with iTunes and iPod software updates. How long has safari been available for windows. Does it have the same attributes of safari on apple has as far as having minimal hacking, spyware and viruses or is that more a feature of the operating system?
Kelvin
If you have Quicktime installed, you will be prompted to install itunes and the new safari web browser. Have not tested it though so i'm waiting for others to give their opinion on this one. Don't like to have too many browsers to work with on the PC so i'm still using IE 7. It's probably just their way to introduce their new browser without you having to check it out at their website. Many people were not aware of safari until that popup appeared.
Diablosblizz
Safari can be uninstalled (if installed) and you can opt out of installing it. I personally don't know why anybody would use QuickTime (outside of iTunes) because it's completely slow on Windows Machines. I downloaded a iPhone movie from their website and the narrators voice was completely off from the video. I opened it in Windows Media Player and it worked perfectly fine.

Once iTunes (or QuickTime) asks you to update it should ask what you want, all you need to do is uncheck Safari. The only time I would use Safari would be on the iPhone / iPod Touch.
Agent ME
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Does it have the same attributes of safari on apple has as far as having minimal hacking, spyware and viruses

I know there was a big vulnerability found on the windows version, where a website could completely fill the user's desktop with files provided by the server. And if the files were viruses, it could be easy for a user to accidentally run one and have the code executed. I'm not sure if the mac version has this error, or if it's been fixed yet in the windows version (I think Apple denied it as a 'feature'...).
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
I personally don't know why anybody would use QuickTime (outside of iTunes) because it's completely slow on Windows Machines.

Isn't Quicktime suppose to be the default for .AVI files. I leave it on my machine. Can other software play AVIs?
hunnyhiteshseth
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
I personally don't know why anybody would use QuickTime (outside of iTunes) because it's completely slow on Windows Machines.

Isn't Quicktime suppose to be the default for .AVI files. I leave it on my machine. Can other software play AVIs?

No thats not.Infact AVI is a format which almost all media players recognize. Its just the last installed media player that becomes the default for any file.
Sphaerenkern
Safari on a mac is much more integrated in the system. For example, it can access the Keychain (system-wide password memory) or your system-wide Address Book. And it's quite fast, okay. But it's not as stable as other browsers, I think it's ugly and plug-ins are only available indirectly on Mac OS.
Windows doesn't have the Keychain, Windows doesn't have the Address Book and most of the add-ons I know aren't available for Windows. Also, it seems to be much more unstable on windows.
I suppose you'll avoid it on Windows.
hofodomo01
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Apple is sending updates of Safari for windows with iTunes and iPod software updates

Yup, that's what they do. There's been considerable amounts of shitstorming and critisicm against Apple on the internet among various users because of the unwanted program updates for unwanted programs.
Tony The Tiger
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

No thats not.Infact AVI is a format which almost all media players recognize. Its just the last installed media player that becomes the default for any file.

Quicktime is an Apple software product. For some reason, I thought AVI stood for Apple Video something or other, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI tells me that AVI is a Microsoft technology so I guess you are right.
hunnyhiteshseth
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Quicktime is an Apple software product. For some reason, I thought AVI stood for Apple Video something or other, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI tells me that AVI is a Microsoft technology so I guess you are right.

Laughing Great now you have realized that AVI is microsoft technology.
Studio Madcrow
Safari for Windows is reasonably good (and actually pretty fast) but it just plain looks weird in a Windows environment given its OSX style controls. Also, it uses Apple-style font rendering rather than Windows-style rendering, so fonts can sometimes look a bit "different"

A better option for using the WebKit engine (which is the open source core of Safari) on Windows is to use Arora: http://code.google.com/p/arora/ It's MUCH smaller and matched the rest of your system rather more closely Wink
tsuvik
Safari is just awesome on the looks. It has a slick and modern appearance. But unfortunately all the addons present now are available for Mac OS X only and none are available for Windows version of Safari. But I still say to give it a try. Definitely much much better than IE 7 if I may say so.
silverdown
Safari is not my kind of web browser, yea it may look awesome but I am loyal to Mozilla Firefox. I been using ever since it came out. Before that I was using normal Mozilla some of you might not know what I am talking about. I think it should be separate from the update in my opinion. I do believe Apple is going to turn into another Microsoft. I don't use I tunes but I have friends that use it and are very upset at being force to download it.
fadirocks
Safari doesn't respect all CSS yet so heh not really excited for it on windows platform but then google Chrome is another interesting browser
Studio Madcrow
fadirocks wrote:
Safari doesn't respect all CSS yet so heh not really excited for it on windows platform but then google Chrome is another interesting browser

Actually, Safari respects CSS VERY well indeed. Where'd you ever hear that it doesn't?
harismushtaq
Now it is getting confused. How many brwsers do you have for windows. Internet Explorer, firefox, Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, Safari, Flock, Chrome. Whatever browsers there are, they should have a common plugin architecture and they should support standards like css, javascript, xhtml in a better way so you can use them all together.