FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Making a DVD Data Disc

Phil
I'm having nothing but trouble trying to make a DVD data disc.
I bought some Memorex DVD+RW blank discs and have been trying to put some files on them. So far I haven't been to successful. I want to make it a Re-writable disc to back-up files.
I tried using Nero, but that didn't work. It just seem to lock up during the "data verification" phase. It seems no matter what I do, my computer won't recognize the disc.
Do I need to format the disc? Is there some other software I should be using?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Diablosblizz
Well, this may be stupid, but do you have a DVD-Burner?
Phil
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well, this may be stupid, but do you have a DVD-Burner?

WOW!!!!
I never checked! Shocked

No, just joking. It's a Lite-on.
badai
using nero info tool, check your media ID. it could be low quality dvd. see

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
kansloos
Try burning at the lowest speed possible, it helps in rare occasions
Phil
Sorry, been away for the last few days, but still haven't had any success.
I did use the Nero info tool. From the brand it showed, digitalFaq labels it as an OK disc.
When I put the disc in the drive, my computer says nothing is in the drive. Did it with both CD drives on my machine.
I downloaded the Ulead program to try. It claims that it erases the disc. I tried to transfer some files. It went through the whole process. When finished I went to check out the disc.
Same thing. My computer says it can't read the drive.
My son was able to burn a video on one of the discs in the pack (it was a pack of 5) with Adobe Elements on my wife's machine.
I haven't tried using her computer yet to burn anything.
She gets mad at me when I use her compter.

I just want to be able to use the DVD as a another drive almost. One I can drag and drop and delete files to and from as needed.
Olly
Phil wrote:
Sorry, been away for the last few days, but still haven't had any success.
I did use the Nero info tool. From the brand it showed, digitalFaq labels it as an OK disc.
When I put the disc in the drive, my computer says nothing is in the drive. Did it with both CD drives on my machine.
I downloaded the Ulead program to try. It claims that it erases the disc. I tried to transfer some files. It went through the whole process. When finished I went to check out the disc.
Same thing. My computer says it can't read the drive.
My son was able to burn a video on one of the discs in the pack (it was a pack of 5) with Adobe Elements on my wife's machine.
I haven't tried using her computer yet to burn anything.
She gets mad at me when I use her compter.

I just want to be able to use the DVD as a another drive almost. One I can drag and drop and delete files to and from as needed.

Everyone raves about Nero so I downloaded it and I don't see what all the fuss is about. I thought I'd end up with a simple burning programme and it seems to be suite of programmes that just takes up a whole lot of room, plus Nero Home has a bug in it. Anyhoo that's my rant and is unrelated to what you are asking - sorry Smile

Some thoughts -
You don't say what OS you're using. Reason I bring it up is because the Vista OS usually comes with software to do just about everything you need so you may find you have other burning software installed if you are using Vista. Even if you're not using Vista can you try some other burning software as it may be a Nero problem.

Why don't you use the Recycle bin for moving deleted files? Move them back when you want them again. Although why did you delete them in the first place if you may want them later?

Is a USB memory stick an option?

It would be a long shot but have both your CD/DVD drives crashed at the same time? Seeing as your wifes PC burned to one of these discs it sounds like it's not a disc problem but a PC problem - your PC - in the drives in particular. Have you tried other DVD's in there - with and without data on them. What happens there?

Right click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer and go into Properties. Does it say under the Hardware tab that the device is working properly? Any help under any of the other tabs?

Some ROMS don't like multi session RW DVD's

Is this the first time you've used your drives? Sounds stupid I know but a couple of them require you to put a DVD in upside down - opposite to the usual.

That's it

Cheers
Olly