FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Connecting 2 computers Together

Phil
I am hoping in the near future to be able to upgrade my rig. If I do what I want, I'll have almost a whole computer left over......... minus the keyboard, monitor and mouse.
I've been wondering if there is some way I can connect my left over parts [case-motherboard-hard drive-RAM-video card] and utilize them effectively with the complete system?
You know, use the CPU or hard drive space to kinda like an auxiliary unit.
Is it possible or am I just dreaming here?
Helios
It is possible especially with linux. I'm not so sure about windows, but there might be a solution for windows as well.
Do you want to use linux or windows system?
Phil
Yea, it's windoze.
I keep promising myself that I'll put linux on my machine one-day.

I just really want to be able to use my left-over parts for something useful. I guess if worse came to worse I could just get a cheapo moniter and keyboard and just have a network cable.
I was just hoping.
psycosquirrel
You could set it up without a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and just remote desktop into it.

Alternatively, use it as a server. Host some games, files, or your music (files and music on your local network, of course).
Phil
psycosquirrel wrote:
You could set it up without a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and just remote desktop into it.

Alternatively, use it as a server. Host some games, files, or your music (files and music on your local network, of course).

How complicated is that? What special software would I need.
Are there any examples on-line I can check out?
psycosquirrel
Laughing

Well, it's not too difficult, especially if you have Windows XP Professional. Remote desktop would then be simply built-in to the OS and you could just use it to connect between computers. Google is your friend, use it!

If you do not have XP pro, you can use realVNC. It's free.
ForceRun
Oh, extra game or data server. They are a lot of fun, and great for Lan Parties!
Phil
Tell me, would I need a pretty powerful computer to use as a server?
It would probably be just an average machine I would use.
Pentium D, 3 GHz.
aningbo
an average system will do but then try to get the best possible. depends on ur budget again...

but then again, why dont u jst dump those and give it out at a garage sale. that might be worth it. good luck
Phil
aningbo wrote:
an average system will do but then try to get the best possible. depends on ur budget again...

but then again, why dont u jst dump those and give it out at a garage sale. that might be worth it. good luck

I guess I could just "Let it Go".
I was just hoping I could still use it and do something really geeky with it. You know, Pimp my Computer Configuration or something like that.
psycosquirrel
Just about any computer will work as a server. Just keep in mind the application. You couldn't run Google off of a Pentium 3, but maybe an Apache webserver for a relatively active site would work great! If you are the only client connecting, just about any hardware will work well as a server for some uses.
bsatechnologies
Both the PCs you want to connect should have LAN Card. Connect the PC using Cross cable on both the Lan Cards of the PCs. And you will be view the other PC like in the workgroup of your office/college etc.
fadirocks
i had a linux server for smb and httpd services
the only thing connecting from the server is power cable and ethernet, if i need to restart server i just do it remotely but heh because it didn't have much space and my brother fried it now it's in computer heaven or hell Razz

it's possible with winblows but not sure how agile it can be
Arnie
If your old computer is complete minus keyboard, mouse and monitor you can:
1) sell it (recommended if you can't find a good purpose for it);
2) use a cheap KVM switch to share your current keyboard/mouse/monitor between the two computers and use your old machine as a server, experimenting machine, whatever. You could also install Linux. A Pentium D can deal with that easily;
3) get a cheap keyboard/mouse set and some second hand monitor and make it a backup machine.

What you don't want to be doing is making a Linux cluster of only two machines because it's going to be quite useless for normal purposes. A 24/7 Linux server would be possible (and wouldn't require its own keyboard/mouse/monitor when properly set up) but you're off cheaper if you sell your old rig and get a light Intel Atom-based machine which uses much less energy. Linux runs fine on that too. Just don't use Ubuntu or anything fancy, I'd recommend Debian stable without XFree86. Perfect for servers.

What you certainly don't want to be doing is using Linux to befriend/please people who use words such as "Winblows". You're wasting your time.
snowboardalliance
Can you really make much money selling it? I'd assume you would get like well under $100 assuming its a few years old. Server ideas sound good.
Diablosblizz
I use a 733 MHZ 512 MB of ram system for my server. I use it for Apache, MySQL and PHP as well as data storage. It works perfectly fine, although due to my horrible upload it's a tiny bit slow outside of the network.

It works perfectly fine for hosting school files around the host, being able to share it with every computer I have if necessary. Even if you have no use for it, hook it up to your network and share some files, it's useful if your somebody like me with only a 80 GB hard drive.

Servers only need to be powerful if they have a high usage load.