FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is xampp?

frih
what is xampp? i have seen this name some where on the net....but i dont its purpose...is it related to php???
molif
well... google is your best friend.. so, ask 'him'.. he will help you in any way..
sheedatali
frih wrote:
what is xampp? i have seen this name some where on the net....but i dont its purpose...is it related to php???

The quick answer is no,

XAMPP is a protocol which allows messages to be sent in XML, the messages are constrained to type, it can be anything, IM messages, or an application talking to another application over the internet. Jabber has the most popular implementation and it is the same protocol used by Gtalk. There might be PHP library that allows you to use XAMPP for communcation.
Futile
XAMPP is a free and open source cross-platform web server package, consisting mainly of the Apache HTTP Server, MySQL database, and interpreters for scripts written in the PHP and Perl programming languages.

It is used as a development tool, to allow website designers and programmers to test their work on their own computers without any access to the Internet. .
HamsterMan
I like xampp. Been using it for my webserver for half a year now without problems.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
XAMPP is a protocol which allows messages to be sent in XML, the messages are constrained to type, it can be anything, IM messages, or an application talking to another application over the internet. Jabber has the most popular implementation and it is the same protocol used by Gtalk. There might be PHP library that allows you to use XAMPP for communcation.

I have no idea where you got that information, but XAMPP is a combination of 4 web servers. It contains Apache, mySQL, FTP and Mail (which is hard to setup). Like Futile said, it's for web designers to test their work without access to the internet.
frih
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:

I have no idea where you got that information, but XAMPP is a combination of 4 web servers. It contains Apache, mySQL, FTP and Mail (which is hard to setup). Like Futile said, it's for web designers to test their work without access to the internet.

i have search it on google....i found that it is meant for apache,sql,php,etc.....can you please tell me which version of XAMPP i should download ffrom the website. The website have so many version...i am bit confused,

i want to setup ftp,mysql,php,phpmyadmin & apache.
HamsterMan
frih wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:

i have search it on google....i found that it is meant for apache,sql,php,etc.....can you please tell me which version of XAMPP i should download ffrom the website. The website have so many version...i am bit confused,

Just choose the one for whatever os you have. There aren't that many choices.

I bet you have windows, so this http://www.apachefriends.org/download.php?xampp-win32-1.6.7-installer.exe
frih
HamsterMan wrote:
frih wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:

Just choose the one for whatever os you have. There aren't that many choices.

I bet you have windows, so this http://www.apachefriends.org/download.php?xampp-win32-1.6.7-installer.exe

i found that if we download php, apache,mysql seetel then the size of the download very large but the size of xampp is small. Thats interesting.

yes i have windows.
tony
According to Wikipedia,

XAMPP is a free and open source cross-platform web server package, consisting mainly of the Apache HTTP Server, MySQL database, and interpreters for scripts written in the PHP and Perl programming languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAMPP
sheedatali
Diablosblizz wrote:

Actually it is my bad, I did not read the title properly before responding, I was under the impression that OP was asking about XMPP, not XAMPP and went on to give the above info. The info is valid but for XMPP which is a protocol and not XAMPP which is a software package as you guys have pointed out. Sorry for the confusion.
psycosquirrel
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do, but keep in mind that xampp is intended to be used locally. It was designed as a testing suite, and therefore, will perform as such. If you tried to actually host a site through xampp, it would probably be quite sluggish.
speeDemon
Hey I downloaded Xampp recently!

I didnt really understand anything though! But ya, I did figure out how to start apache, and php...

Atleast I have PHP finally working! otherwise, i had tried like 10 sites for tutorials on how to load PHP and Apache, but I finally downloaded Xampp, and I'm well to go!
pashmina
i never liked xampp. i have been using VertrigoServ from day 1, and I am still using it without any complains or problem. give it a try.