FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

buying new computer, suggest configuration...

frih
hey guys i am planning to buy new computer for home use. so please suggest me a good configuration.
jsbgamer21
home use as in picture and video editing, intense gaming, or just basic surf and work comp? Also how many music and video files do u have, or think u will get within the next 6 months.
frih
jsbgamer21 wrote:
home use as in picture and video editing, intense gaming, or just basic surf and work comp? Also how many music and video files do u have, or think u will get within the next 6 months.

i want computer for web browsing and for setting up my apache server....also for playing songs....but not video editing
jsbgamer21
ok, do u care about looks such as a nice looking case with lights and shiny toys, or are u into the more practical and useful barebone? How much do u have to spend and would u prefer a brand name pc or a custom built pc.
frih
jsbgamer21 wrote:
ok, do u care about looks such as a nice looking case with lights and shiny toys, or are u into the more practical and useful barebone? How much do u have to spend and would u prefer a brand name pc or a custom built pc.

i dont care about looks....and i prefer branded pc...
Diablosblizz
You basically just want a generally rounded computer. Could you please specify where you are currently located and if there are any stores that you can go purchase a computer from? Or, do you plan on buying this computer online?

If you're going to buy a computer for a general use computer then get one with at least 2 GB of ram, with a dual (or quad) core processor. This may sound confusing, but just ask a store clerk and he or she will know what you are talking about.

In my opinion, HP computers are very powerful and well worth the money, if you buy a cheap computer from HP you can upgrade it to your likings.
nTonio
Diablosblizz wrote:

If you're going to buy a computer for a general use computer then get one with at least 2 GB of ram, with a dual (or quad) core processor.

2GB of ram ??!! what for ? Mate, think you have truly overshoot. I'm using 1,7 GHz Athlon CPU with 1 GB of ram, and I work with graphic applications every day, CAD/CAM nothing can stop this "powerfull mschine". Why I wrote powerfull? becouse it has already 7! ... years, and I did not change a thing in it.
It isn't a gamer or rendering machine, but with the tasks that I put for "him" it is doing it's job at 100%. It do not hang even for couple of sec, while some transformations.

The conclusion is unambiguous: for basic home use like frih is planing the cheapest set from market will do, or we can think about some used one but it depends from you.
frih
thanks guys for all your replies......

but i have one question.....

what is the difference between Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor and Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core ?

Are they same or different??? which is more better???
nTonio
I will brief it from scratch:
A dual core processor is a CPU with two separate cores on the same die, each with its own cache. It's the equivalent of getting two microprocessors in one.

In a single-core or traditional processor the CPU is fed strings of instructions it must order, execute, then selectively store in its cache for quick retrieval. When data outside the cache is required, it is retrieved through the system bus from random access memory (RAM) or from storage devices. Accessing these slows down performance to the maximum speed the bus, RAM or storage device will allow, which is far slower than the speed of the CPU. The situation is compounded when multi-tasking. In this case the processor must switch back and forth between two or more sets of data streams and programs. CPU resources are depleted and performance suffers.

In a dual core processor each core handles incoming data strings simultaneously to improve efficiency. Just as two heads are better than one, so are two hands. Now when one is executing the other can be accessing the system bus or executing its own code. Adding to this favorable scenario, both AMD and Intel's dual-core flagships are 64-bit.

Core is the name of architecture, core is used to describe architecture of CPU unit.

In my opinion PDC is better.
frih
nTonio wrote:
I will brief it from scratch:
A dual core processor is a CPU with two separate cores on the same die, each with its own cache. It's the equivalent of getting two microprocessors in one.

In a single-core or traditional processor the CPU is fed strings of instructions it must order, execute, then selectively store in its cache for quick retrieval. When data outside the cache is required, it is retrieved through the system bus from random access memory (RAM) or from storage devices. Accessing these slows down performance to the maximum speed the bus, RAM or storage device will allow, which is far slower than the speed of the CPU. The situation is compounded when multi-tasking. In this case the processor must switch back and forth between two or more sets of data streams and programs. CPU resources are depleted and performance suffers.

In a dual core processor each core handles incoming data strings simultaneously to improve efficiency. Just as two heads are better than one, so are two hands. Now when one is executing the other can be accessing the system bus or executing its own code. Adding to this favorable scenario, both AMD and Intel's dual-core flagships are 64-bit.

Core is the name of architecture, core is used to describe architecture of CPU unit.

In my opinion PDC is better.

thanks buddy......but still i am confused ....are core 2 duo and dual core are the same thing???

you have written here only about dual core......
nTonio
nTonio wrote:
... A dual core processor is a CPU with two separate cores ...
... so Core 2 Duo is a dual core processor. Be patient to sizes of first letters in names !

Intel Core Technology is a new architecture of cpu-s (do not mislead it with Pentium Dual-Core Procesor). There are many differences between them. It’s the best idea to brief it on illustration. (Core 2 Duo ( Conroe and Allendale cores))

Most important changes/novum are:
- Wide Dynamic Execution (4 instead of 3 instructions in cycle)
- Macro-Fusion Technology – enables packing some instructions and do it in one cycle of processor instead of 2, 3-s
- Bigger size of L2
- And many more 

Only the games are very sensitive to the changes in CPU L2 cache memory size. The biggest effect is noticeable when we drop the size of L2 cache to 1MB. That is why the new Pentium E2000 processors will hardly become a good choice for gamers. It makes much more sense to invest in more expensive Core 2 Duo in this case: even a CPU from E4000 series will do if you are looking to build an inexpensive gaming system. Comparing those in Doom 3 1280x1024 AA-x4 Core 2 Duo have 49,4 FPS and Pentium Dual Core have 44,5.
In Office use PDC is slightly quicker, where in compression/decompression has strong visible advantage for older-gen one. 

Ask if something is stil confusing.
psycosquirrel
frih wrote:
thanks buddy......but still i am confused ....are core 2 duo and dual core are the same thing???

you have written here only about dual core......

[quote="frih]
what is the difference between Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor and Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core ? [/quote]

Intel Pentium Dual Core, or Pentium D, was Intel's first line of dual-core processors. They were made obsolete by Intel's current line of processors, including the Core 2 Duo.

The Core 2 Duo performs much faster than the Pentium D. It usually costs about the same too.

For a system, it sounds like you want to get something through a prebuilt retailer. I personally recommend the...

HP XW4600: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/12454-12454-296719-307907-296721-3429268-3429270-3751523.html

It's a powerhouse that has tons of room for upgrades. If that is out of your price range, let me know and I'll see if I can find something else for you.
frih
after reading so much replies, what i find out that core 2 duo is much better in performance......

thanks 2 all..... Surprised
frih
Quote:
HP XW4600: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/12454-12454-296719-307907-296721-3429268-3429270-3751523.html

It's a powerhouse that has tons of room for upgrades. If that is out of your price range, let me know and I'll see if I can find something else for you.

i have checked your link, it has less ram and less hard disk space.....i think today most of the computer comes with 2gb ram and 160gb space......but it has graphics card that is a main advantage
kansloos
You should configure a PC between a budget of 500,- a 600,- and don't bother to put a good graphics card in it, if gaming isn't your thing you certainly don't need a good one. This way you get good performance for a reasonable price.
slashnburn99
Look at the most system heavy PC game you can find.

And go well above those limits, did the same with mine used Half Life 2 as my benchmark and bought a PC and Graphics Card that could handle that in its sleep.

This also means the internet will be a walk in the park and be future proofed until you buy your next PC
Jaan
this is a nice article, hope you find it useful: http://game-central.org/2009/editorials/how-to-build-a-sub-500-gaming-pc/

i'm building one soon too but i dont know much about specs/hardware... but i know i'm going with a 24" monitor, either the samsung 245b (best monitor currently for gaming) or the samsung t240hd (a little more lag but still great, especially for movies).

cheers