FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPhone 3G - worth buying?

iPhone worth buying?
Yes - it is a very great product, and worth the money.
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Almost - it's a good product, but it's expensive
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
No - it's too expensive for not a lot of features
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

Diablosblizz
I've been reading up on some reviews on websites, youTube and stuff like that and I've heard mixed comments, which in my case is totally fine. I am thinking of purchasing one, for everyday use (I'm nobody special with a business - just a 16 year old that loves technology). It looks unbelievable awesome, and it runs awesome too. Here are some points that I give that I think are worth to buy a iPhone, and afterwards PLEASE post something in your opinion, as I would love to learn what you think.

Reasons to buy an iPhone

1. The ability to carry both your mobile phone and your MP3 player in your pocket. This is my main concern, I do have a 80 GB iPod and a decent phone, but I HATE carrying both at the same time. Normally, my pockets are full with change, cash and anything else that may be in there. It's a pain to stuff through trying to find something, only to figure out that it's not what I need, only to shove my hand down my other pocket and grab the thing I was looking for the first time.

2. The touchscreen. Ah, yes the unbelievable touchscreen. Yes, I know there are other touch screens, but this one seems very sensitive to most things, as it does have an Accelerometer and a light sensor. I hate using my current phone trying to text, as my fingers are too big for the keys. Also, it seems a LOT easier to type with the the iPhone, as it's big enough to be used with two hands.

3. 3G. Although I don't plan on using 3G that often, probably checking emails here and there (if I am in urgent need and cannot find a Wi-Fi connection), it will be a lot faster then going to a computer, probably having to wait all day to get to one, and checking the email. AND, if I do check my email at school I don't trust those computers, due to it being a high school (yes, I am very safe and personal about my documents). So, 3G will benefit me in a bit, although my iPhone will be used on a Wi-Fi connection most of the time.

4. Universal headphone jack. I heard the iPhone EDGE (first one) didn't have a universal headphone jack, which left a lot of users complaining. I use my earbuds if I am out, although if I am at home I use my headphones so that will be great for me.

5. Style. Yes, I am all about how it looks, and I give the iPhone 100% on the style. It's slick, and usable, fits right in your hands. Also, the size of it matters too, if I am unable to just slide it in and out of my pocket (or case, which I will most likely be getting) smoothly, then I am not sold.

6. A camera. Sure, 2 MP isn't much but what more do you expect on a phone. I've read somewhere that phones now go up to 5 MP, that's almost as much as my digital camera. It's a phone, not a personal camera. Although, I find it neat that I can set a picture to a number, and for my iPhone to show me a picture of the person phoning me.

That's basically all that is selling me right now, although I am debating of which one should I get. The 8 GB or the 16 GB? I mean, my iPod Classic (80 GB) only has 8 GB used, half of which aren't even music files, and that's $100 I could save. I am probably going to go with the 8 GB, because if I am going to put purchased videos it would most defiantly be on my Classic, as it has more space.

Well, I would like to take this time to ask you what you think of the iPhone, would you buy it or not. Please don't flame saying stuff like "apple sucks, I hate them" or "the iphone sucks because it's from apple." I was saying the same thing before I got my iPod, and it changed. Although I am VERY disappointed in their headphones as their second pair I bought broke (as for the first ones I blame my cat).

Also, if you do own a iPhone could you care to explain on how much you pay monthly for your plan, I am confused on if I have to get a iPhone plan, or anything regular would do. Thank you for reading!
ForceRun
I heard they were having a bunch of problems with the new 3G phones. Make sure you read up on them first. I personally will wait for a while before buying any Apple stuff.
Diablosblizz
ForceRun wrote:
I heard they were having a bunch of problems with the new 3G phones. Make sure you read up on them first. I personally will wait for a while before buying any Apple stuff.

Could you give me an example so I can research them? Anything you've heard. Thanks.
Animal
As an experienced Frihoster, you really should know better than to copy and paste articles.

Shame on you
Diablosblizz
Animal wrote:
As an experienced Frihoster, you really should know better than to copy and paste articles.

Shame on you

Excuse me, but I wrote that myself and posted it on iPodWizard as well. I've posted it there because nobody was replying here. If you look at my email it matches the email and username on iPodWizard.net. Shame on you
ForceRun
http://gigaom.com/2008/08/14/iphone-3gs-mystery-issues-the-plot-thickens/

That and I have heard people have the normal Mac problems, like apps often crash and so on. But it looks like at least 95% of users are happy so maybe they aren't so bad after all. Just realize with any new product there is a bit of working out the bugs.
Diablosblizz
Thanks for this, but it's hard to compare this because I am in Canada. AT&T is a horrible phone company, and I can see why nobody wants them. I am going with Rogers, and I haven't heard a problem from them yet.

And yes I am aware that they're working out the bugs, they're still doing it for my Classic (the cover flow is HORRIBLE).
aningbo
iPhone is coming to india on 22nd August and i'm waiting eagerly for it. hope its worth the publicity. btw, its gonna cost about 20K which is far way too much as compare to the other countries.

heard the guys in US gets it for about 199$ which is about 8000 INR.

man this is unfair.
Diablosblizz
It's going to cost you 20,000 INR? That's $500 in Canadian (CAN) currency. It only costs $250 for the iPhone in Canada, for the 8 GB which is all I need because I use my 80GB for purchased videos. My friend has one and he let me try it, although it wasn't 3G, and it was okay although the internet was so slow because of the 1G.

It's well worth the buy.
psycosquirrel
I don't see all the hype about the iPhone. I'm tired of it.

I don't need an iPhone, and here's why (sorry to seem offensive to you, but your post is so perfect to why I HATE the iPhone):

Quote:

1. Ability to carry both cell phone and mp3 player in pocket

My phone came free with my Verizon plan. I dropped an 8Gb microSD card in it, and VOILA! Instant 8Gb MP3 player, without all the hassle of iTunes. I hate iTunes. I despise the way it manages all my music for me, assuming the way it wants my music is the same as the way I want it.

Quote:

2. The touchscreen. Ah, yes the unbelievable touchscreen. Yes, I know there are other touch screens, but this one seems very sensitive to most things, as it does have an Accelerometer and a light sensor. I hate using my current phone trying to text, as my fingers are too big for the keys. Also, it seems a LOT easier to type with the the iPhone, as it's big enough to be used with two hands.

Accelerometer? Light sensor? Touchscreen? Hello, this is all unnecessary hardware adding to weight and cost, and killing durability. I have stepped on my phone, dropped it off a 4 story building, bodyslammed it (it was in my pocket right where I landed), and even threw it at my little brother. It's still shiny and works great. If I threw the iPhone, I would have a trash heap.

Oh, and ALL keyboards are too small. The iPhone's touchscreen interface is cool and swooshy, but it can never respond better than a good, old-fashioned button-mashing interface. I can't stand using the touchscreen. I text too fast for it to keep up, and letters go missing, so words don't work out (t9 FTW!)

Since it is "big enough to use with two hands," it is also a clunky and large device. Who cares about consolidating devices, if the new device still takes up more volume than the original two devices?

Quote:
3. 3G. Although I don't plan on using 3G that often, probably checking emails here and there (if I am in urgent need and cannot find a Wi-Fi connection), it will be a lot faster then going to a computer, probably having to wait all day to get to one, and checking the email. AND, if I do check my email at school I don't trust those computers, due to it being a high school (yes, I am very safe and personal about my documents). So, 3G will benefit me in a bit, although my iPhone will be used on a Wi-Fi connection most of the time.

3G... Mobile internet... Ugh. It's slow, unresponsive, and costly. Do you know how much I pay for my phone plan a month? About $40 through Verizon. Yeah, $40 a month. I don't need 3G or anything like that. If someone needs me so urgently, they know better than to email me. They simply CALL ME! (holy crap, the concept of actually TALKING to someone). Mind you, I check my email at least 3 times a day. But still, that is what my laptop / desktop is for.

Even when I'm on vacation, I don't need 3G. There are tons of coffee shops to use free wifi from. If not, steal someone's wireless. The SSID "linksys" pops up all the time, unencrypted and ready to use. Who worries about business and email on vacation anyways? Seriously, DETACH work from your social life! Everyone takes life so seriously; it is no wonder everyone's always having mental issues.

Quote:

4. Universal headphone jack. I heard the iPhone EDGE (first one) didn't have a universal headphone jack, which left a lot of users complaining. I use my earbuds if I am out, although if I am at home I use my headphones so that will be great for me.

Can this even be called a feature? I'm sorry, but people need to ask themselves -- if it doesn't even support normal headphones, then is it even worth buying?

Quote:
5. Style. Yes, I am all about how it looks, and I give the iPhone 100% on the style. It's slick, and usable, fits right in your hands. Also, the size of it matters too, if I am unable to just slide it in and out of my pocket (or case, which I will most likely be getting) smoothly, then I am not sold.

This is the only "feature" of the iPhone I can't argue with. It's sleek, smooth, and does what it is meant for quite well. But, if people judge you by the sexiness of your phone... you need new friends.

Quote:
6. A camera. Sure, 2 MP isn't much but what more do you expect on a phone. I've read somewhere that phones now go up to 5 MP, that's almost as much as my digital camera. It's a phone, not a personal camera. Although, I find it neat that I can set a picture to a number, and for my iPhone to show me a picture of the person phoning me.

My phone does this too. It's quite cool. Mine was free though. And also is 2MP.

I would not buy the iPhone. My phone can do nearly all of that, and it was free. I simply had to put in a microSD card that I already had from work, and everything is perfect. The package is smaller and the phone has (in my opinion) a simpler, more efficient, and more stable interface. Mind you, I do not have GPS, but I got my Nuvi 205 GPS from Best Buy for $130 (coupons FTW!). It is a true GPS, so it is more accurate. It allows me to search for stores and areas of interest, never loses signal, and is EXTREMELY accurate with both calculating my location and with turn-by-turn directions. The GPS resides in my car, the only place I would ever use the iPhone's GPS anyways.

The iPhone is simply not worth the money for what you are getting. It is a wonderful piece of hardware, but it is by no means revolutionary. Nokia had out phones that did EVERYTHING (and more) than the iPhone years ago. You simply don't hear about them because Nokia isn't crazy about marketing.
Diablosblizz
Whoa, great perspective although it seemed that you were getting slightly angry. I find the touchscreen features to be really freaking awesome, and it doesn't add any weight to it. The screen is VERY strong (as I've basically stepped on one and it still lasts). I've washed and dried my current cellphone and it still works. The Touch Screen is extremely responsive, and every key I press gets picked up by it.

Now, you've somewhat offended me here, the 3G is no where slow or unresponsive although I agree it is a bit pricey. But, 3G isn't just for "emailing" somebody. I never said that my friends judge me by the "sexiness" of my phone, I said it looks very nice.

The iPhone also allows you to search for stores and "areas of interest." Thank you for your interest, but I think you need to calm down just a bit.
psycosquirrel
I wasn't angry! Sorry if my post made me sound so. I'm simply very critical of the iPhone, as it is all I ever hear about.

I'm glad you've had such a good experience with it though. It is a nice device, but I simply do not think it is revolutionary or worth the hefty price tag (per month, especially)
Diablosblizz
In my opinion, I don't really think that $60ish isn't too bad for a phone where you get basically unlimited browsing, My5 and all that stuff. I suppose that it's a lot different from AT&T and Rogers. AT&T is a horrible company, as I've said. Are you comparing everything from a Rogers perspective or a AT&T perspective?
psycosquirrel
AT&T.

You have to consider monthly fees too. The plan is around $100 a month!
Diablosblizz
Actually the plan is about $35 dollars cheaper than that. Or at least here in Canada with Rogers. Although, the first bill will be around $100-$110 for registration fee's but after that it'll go down to around $60 a month, which for me isn't too bad.

EDIT: I AM AN ADDICTED FRIHOSTER! Very HappyVery Happy
Fenlock
and I'd have to say that getting the iPhone 3G was the best decision of my life. i also Jailbroke mine, using QuickPwn (Windows), which gives me access to a LOT more apps, that do a TON more, and are FREAKING awesome.

It's still a little buggy, and some apps tend to crash a lot, (mostly AppStore apps), though it's really convenient, as the 3G is BLAZING fast, and i LOVE it. though, i AM an AT&T customer, which i don't have major complaints about.

If you're just loving technology, you're not worried about losing critical business data, and you want a good experience that you still have to work at a little to get it working the way you want it to.

I personally think it's a really fun challenge, once it's jailbroken, as you can do an almost infinite amount of stuff on it if you're good at Google.

Conclusion: From what I understand, you'll love having an iPhone. Get it.
swizzy
Critics will be critics, and the happy users will be happy users. Bottom line -An iPhone is worth its full price (around 700$) if and only if it is/can be jailbroken (I cant jailbreak my Airtel iPhone in India). The contract seems to be expensive in US though.

I always felt, Apple products look expensive when you look at them from an angle, that much other better stuff could be bought for the same price, but then the simple fact is Apple wants its products exquisite (and best). So if you are going to take the positive reviewer's words and go for the iphone, belive me, its good. But if you do feel you can trust the negative reviewers (who usually compare it in a showdown with nokia phones, and htc phones), the simple underlying fact is that nokia phones are flimsy, no matter how expensive, and htc phones are the same old slow windows mobile devices. Your choice though... Very Happy
keane
I voted "No". It's all just hype. The features aren't that great. I'd rather buy a phone that costs as much as an iPhone but with tons of greater features! The just buy an iPod as a music player. LOLz... Very Happy
misterXY
keane wrote:
I voted "No". It's all just hype. The features aren't that great. I'd rather buy a phone that costs as much as an iPhone but with tons of greater features! The just buy an iPod as a music player. LOLz... Very Happy

Agreed, but then again ipods are the same. Look at the creative zens... cheaper and a shitload of more features
lethaltriad
Apple can market anything and sell it. The Iphones though I must agree are probably the best touchscreen phones right now in the market. The new Blackberry Storm looks good but based on features and reviews so far.. doesnt seem to be as solid or as easy to use as the Iphone as yet. They still have a little catching up to do before they can compete fully with the Iphone but i'm sure in the future they will be many capable touch screen handsets with more features and at a cheaper cost.. they just wont have the Apple brand Razz