FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Possible Video card problems

jsbgamer21
First off, i moved from the ati x1900xtx which ive had for a few years now, to an 8800GTS 320. Although not a huge upgrade. it was free Very Happy. So, the problems is that the 8800 is running on idle at 70C, i know that is odd for a stock GPU with stock settings, i was wondering is there was anything i could do about it such as an after market cooler (open to suggestions).

Current build is a computer thats about 3 years old, have a Foxconn 975X7AA, with 4 gigs of OCZ 667 ram, intel dual core 3.4GHZ cpu, a 600 Watt Hiper type-r modular PSU, 320 gig SATA 2 perpendicular HDD

For cooling i have 3 120mm fans, 3 small fans blowing on the ram, stock fan on CPU, and a fan beside the GPU that is connected through a rear port exit directly above the GPU

Running Windows XP pro, all service packs.

My old x1900xtx idled around 57C, it could run crysis, WoW, COD4 and every game ive tried fine, no intentions of having dual vid cards or using SLI.
nTonio
Have you checked the heat medium between GPU and it's fan?
Another thread is that U have a lot of fan power. As you can imagine 1 Khp of power in standard miniCuper is not a good idea, unless it is made/rebuild with concept and knowledge (among other things) how the forces are working - how it will cope with stresses. The same thing with fans. It isn't any big art to put several big fans (120 mm! :wow: ) inside the case. You have to realize what kind of airflow you are generating. For instance I have 120 mm ultra low rpm fan on my cpu, but the structure of the comp. case was causing that it was taking very hot air from graphic card. After some readings I realize that hole with chimney and some rebuilds reduced temp of cpu by 15C !
jsbgamer21
it should have good air flow, i have front fan sucking in,a side fan sucking in, and the rear fan blowing out, and a mesh PSU so air flows through that fan as well. Those are the main fans but i have a one main additional one as well, sucking the heat directly from the vid card, and i havnt checked the heat medium, might take it apart to clean and apply something
KHO
my 9800GTX is idling about that same temp atm. and operates fine (has a built on fan). I dont boast the best airflow in my case, I just kinda let the liquid cooling keep the cpu good and the GPU does fine on its own. I haven't had any problems now and ive been running the pc for about a month.