FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FLAC to MP3 converter

ocalhoun
Does anybody know a good (preferably open-source, or at least free) flac to mp3 converter?

I was trying ease audio converter, but it quit working. Any other suggestions?
driftingfe3s
I think audacity will do it, and thats open-source.

You can find it here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You'll then need to get the LAME mp3 encoder, instructions are here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3
hunnyhiteshseth
Is flac a new format?
zellfaze
driftingfe3s wrote:
I think audacity will do it, and thats open-source.

You can find it here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You'll then need to get the LAME mp3 encoder, instructions are here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3

Audacity even has a multiple-import/export feature so you can convert several files at once.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Is flac a new format?

To my knowledge the file format has been around for quite some time.
hunnyhiteshseth
zellfaze wrote:

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Is flac a new format?

To my knowledge the file format has been around for quite some time.

Hmmm. Actually i had studied various formats for my college course but i did not came across it. Thats why i was surprised.
Studio Madcrow
Why would you want to move from lossless audio compression to lossy compression? Do you have a portable player that doesn't support FLAC or something?
ocalhoun
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Why would you want to move from lossless audio compression to lossy compression? Do you have a portable player that doesn't support FLAC or something?

Unfortunately, I'm using windows media player, which apparently doesn't support it. I'm sure it's possible to make it supported, but I'd prefer just to convert them, so that all my music is in the same format.

*downloads audacity and tries download LAME*
Hopefully this will work...
jackill
foobar 2000 & lame.dll works perfect Wink
KHO
actually I've never had trouble making iTunes convert my files. If you set your default preference to .mp3 files and attempt to import it, then it will ask if you want to convert it. Though I have never come across a flac file =\ never even heard of that. Gotta go google that now haha.
ocalhoun
^Some people actually don't use itunes...
mOrpheuS
Lame for the compression codec - no second thoughts.

GUI - lamedropxpd ? RazorLame ? They're all good in one way or another.

If you're playing music only on your computer, why not try the Vorbis format ?
Or better yet, why not just keep FLAC ? It couldn't be too hard to get the media player of your choice to play another format.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Is flac a new format?
KHO wrote:
Though I have never come across a flac file =\ never even heard of that

FLAC is, in my knowledge, the best non-proprietary codec for lossless audio compression.
Only Monkey's Audio and ALAC achieve better lossless compression.
hofodomo01
jackill wrote:

Second the foobar2000 part. It's a very memory efficient music player (works just as well as WinAmp, I'd say), and it converts various file formats as well.

Audacity (as someone mentioned before) is also a nice tool. Essential for anyone working with audio imo.
virtuousbaby
Step-by-step Guide on How to Convert FLAC to MP3 using Windows or Mac at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-convert-flac-to-mp3.html

it also helps convert flac to wma, wav, aiff, ogg, aac, mp2 and more

it even can help to convert ogg to mp3, ape to mp3, m4a to mp3, aiff to mp3, wav to mp3
Blummer
jackill wrote:

I use external lame encoder with it and it is simply perfect. Fast and amazing/
zouguomin
Cool
sysna
i'm a fan of JetAudio so i use it for most type of convertings, i have used this software for converting FLAC to MP3 the result is not the best but the simplicity of converting process is one of important things so i recommend you to test it, also it is free !
sikender
Format factory is one of the best audio/video converters around. Give it a try. Smile
Gregoric
Try application created by Xilisoft (I believe it is named Xilisoft Video Converter or likely) if you can spend few dollars on it. Works perfect and uses features of your graphics card to speed up conversion. The queality is best that 320kbps MP3 can have.

If you want some free application, try Format Factory, I always recommend it to my friends and they never complain so it is pretty easy in use and has enough functionalities for a regular user - including FLAC -> MP3 conversion.