FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nintendo DS: Super Mario 64 DS

mariomaster
I love the game Super Mario 64 DS for the DS. It rocks, you know! I wonder if anyone else on this forum likes this game because it's really cool! This is probably my first post I'm aiming to create a frihost web site on all Mario games! My tactic to beating it is doing easy stars first then a really hard one, and do Secret Stars first as they come. And 100 coin stars at a certain point, not all at once.

Heres to those who like the game!! Wink
hlavco
I prefer the N64 version. Sure, the new one has features and graphics, but it's just not as fun without the joystick and the big screen. And I liked having only Mario playable instead of having to switch between the characters for their abilities.
william
I didn't buy it only because I have it on the Nintendo 64. Sure, it has more playable characters, and looks nicer, but I actually prefered the gameplay on the Nintendo 64 version. For the Super Mario 64, my strategy...well, I didn't have one. Run into random worlds and grabbing stars at random. Secret stars, all found by accident and 100 coin ones when I got stuck on something else and decided to get some stars. If I recall correctly, I collected a total of 77 stars...and was ready to fight bowser and finish the game...but I never did. Razz I don't know, maybe I will someday.
Nameless
william wrote:
If I recall correctly, I collected a total of 77 stars...and was ready to fight bowser and finish the game...but I never did. Razz I don't know, maybe I will someday.

Pfft, you haven't really finished the game until you have EVERY star. (I played the 64 version, and ... kind of ... didn't.)

I don't think "tactic" and "strategy" are really appropriate words to be used when describing a platformer, though, given there's no advantage or reason to do the stars in any particular order. It's just preference.
Diablosblizz
I don't like the DS version. I love the N64 version. If they took the N64 version and directly (without any changes other than the graphics) put it onto a DS version then I would have bought it.

I don't like the new changes, Luigi, Yoshi and Wario just throw off the game. I'll stick with my N64 version.
william
Nameless wrote:
william wrote:
If I recall correctly, I collected a total of 77 stars...and was ready to fight bowser and finish the game...but I never did. Razz I don't know, maybe I will someday.

Pfft, you haven't really finished the game until you have EVERY star. (I played the 64 version, and ... kind of ... didn't.)

Eh? OK, point taken. Although, I don't know if I ever finished a game 100%. Some Metroid game I played might have been 100%, but I don't remember. As fun Super Mario 64 was, I also had Banjo-Kazooie at the time, and liked it better. I think that's the reason I never bothered to collect more stars, let alone finish the game.

At this point I want to get my hands on a Wii and grab Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. Super Mario 64 was great, and I never tried out Sunshine, but Galaxy is tempting.
haydxn
Galaxy is very very good. A true modern classic.

I love Mario64, and it was a nice surprise to start out as yoshi, but it was a bit annoying- as much as I love yoshi, I do prefer being mario in mario64. Top quality game though, and it's great to hear that catchy music from the first levels again!
Nameless
IMHO Galaxy is too gimicky at times, and the levels are much less open than SM64's. Still an excellent game though.
misterXY
If you ask me, Super Mario64 should be
N64 & Super Nintendo only, bring the consoles back you bastards Sad
mariomaster
Point taken MisterXY. I have a NES and SNES emulator and I still enjoy playing those old Mario games!!! Laughing