FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Url not found in Google Webmaster Tools part 2!

inphurno
Hi everyone,

I got another "Not found" error in the overview. I click on details and it gives this:

http://www.whatsyourimpact.eu.org/eng/style/1testfinal.swf 404 (Not found)Help Jul 22, 2008

This time its for flash content that I changed the name of the file. The html that displays this file points to the new file so again i'm not sure which page (if any) have a problem.

I've searched a lot on the Google Webmaster Help group and I found that sometimes you not only have to delete the file itself but also in the Tools menu there's the Remove URLs option. There I put in the url of the file as a Google Web Search result and submitted for removal. I'm not sure if I was supposed to put it as a Google Image Search result.

My question is: Is this the normal that I have to remove the file and remove it from Google like this? I never had this prob before for other webpages so I dont know how to fix the problem for flash files.

Any help on this one would be great!
Jean-Luc
inphurno wrote:
I got another "Not found" error in the overview. I click on details and it gives this:

http://www.whatsyourimpact.eu.org/eng/style/1testfinal.swf 404 (Not found)Help Jul 22, 2008
You should not see this as someting to correct. It just means that Google has been looking for the file and that it discovered that the file was not there anymore. Nothing wrong with that if you deleted or moved the file.

inphurno wrote:
I've searched a lot on the Google Webmaster Help group and I found that sometimes you not only have to delete the file itself but also in the Tools menu there's the Remove URLs option. There I put in the url of the file as a Google Web Search result and submitted for removal.
There is no need to do that. There are a lot of misunderstandings around about this.

From an SEO prospective, it is a bad idea to use the URL removal tool for a URL that has moved to a new address. What should be done is a 301 redirect from the old URL to the new one in the .htaccess file. This would say to Google (and other search engines) that the "old" URL is not used anymore and that it is replaced by the "new" one. Google would then automatically pass the link juice (PageRank and so on) from the old URL to the new one. With the URL removal tool, you deleted the link juice of the old URL.

Jean-Luc
inphurno
Thank you for the information Jean-Luc, it was very helpful! I have one question though how can i create a 301 redirect from the old URL to the new one in a .htaccess file?