FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Awesome macros: >>New ones added<<

ocalhoun
I went out to the DeSoto National Forest and took some pictures.
The ones that turned out the best were the macros, so here they are.
If you want to see the trouble I went through to get these shots, it is posted at
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-96504.html

So, lets get started with what turned out the best, really: the butterflies:

Worst first: just trying to sneak up on one on the ground:

Then, an extremely lucky shot catching them in the action of dancing around:
For pure artistry, I think this one is the best.

Then, I got a very rare opportunity: just as I was about to take a macro of this flower, a butterfly lands on it! How often does that happen with you sitting there ready to take a shot?
The wings are still moving too fast for the camera.

And the best of the butterfly shots:
I'm still amazed that I got the opportunity for a shot like that... It was astounding good luck!

Now, a couple of random ones that are interesting, but don't fit in with the set:
First, some interesting erosion effects:

And, one tree twisting itself around another... It would be interesting to see these two in a decade or two, when they've grown:

Arachnophobes, skip these next images! It's time for the spiders!

First, a very large banana spider:
The picture is only slightly larger than actual size.
I knew a poor guy who ate one of these once. That taught him not to ride an ATV through a grove with his mouth open...

Then, a couple that I can't identify:

I didn't see this one 'till I almost touched it:
(look to the left of the lowest leg, and you'll see another bug, badly out of focus... Perhaps this spider is hunting it?)

Okay, back to things that are pleasant to look at... Let's have some flowers:

I didn't notice the bug next to this one until I looked at the picture on the computer. The macro mode is truly amazing!

You like?
Ghost900
Nice butterfly photo's. They are really nice and to have two butterfly's flying in the same image is a lucky shot.

The one with the Butterfly that was still moving its wings on the flower is a nice shot as well.

The green spider is an interesting looking spider with things coming off its legs, pretty camouflaged too.

The flowers are pretty nice as well, I really like seeing Macro shots with things larger than life.

Great Photos. Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
You have some amazing shots here.

The very last butterfly picture is an awesome shot.

I also agree with Ghost, the green spider is interesting looking. I didn't really see a bug? I kind of seen it, but it doesn't look like it is real judging by the position it would be in on the picture.

All great photos, excellent work!
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I also agree with Ghost, the green spider is interesting looking. I didn't really see a bug? I kind of seen it, but it doesn't look like it is real judging by the position it would be in on the picture.

Just out of focus is all.
ocalhoun
I went out on a second trip and got some more photos:

A caterpillar trying very hard to look like part of this plant:

A cluster of small flowers

A plant that resembles a fireworks display

A brown butterfly inside a flower:

The same butterfly eating:

Some mushrooms that almost look like flowers:

The web of a funnel spider:

This grasshopper's camouflage just doesn't quite work:

Another green spider:

A close up of purple:

Who left parts of a put-put golf course here?

A red toad:

The river that this trail parallels:

An interesting seed pod:

Mushrooms come with the territory here:

From the side:

From the top:

From underneath (the best):

A tiny flower that seems to have silver in it:

A flower stalk gaining support from other plants:

And the grand finale: a toad.
blackheart
There are some really neat shots in there.

I really love the first photo of the "brown butterfly" inside the flower, it's got a real pull to the composition of it which makes it particularly interesting.

Although are you sure it isn't a moth living there while it's pregnant? - going by the colouration, dusty edge to the wings, and holes eaten through the petals. but I'm not a botanist Razz.
Fatality
Excellent photography, you have a great collection here. How long have you been doing photography like this? It seems like you have good background knowledge in the hobby. Very good focus, for the most part, on the close up shots and a nice taste of style with the images you capture. Keep it up.
ocalhoun
Fatality wrote:
Excellent photography, you have a great collection here. How long have you been doing photography like this? about a year, but only rarely during that time, perhaps once every two months.

It seems like you have good background knowledge in the hobby.not at all!
Very good focus, for the most part, on the close up shots I take 2-5 shots of everything and delete what's out of focus.
and a nice taste of style with the images you capture.Selecting which picture to use carefully, and then cropping it with an eye to being artistic helps a lot. A mediocre picture can be helped a lot by cutting the right parts out of it.
Keep it up. I definitely will.

blackheart wrote:

Although are you sure it isn't a moth living there while it's pregnant? - going by the colouration, dusty edge to the wings, and holes eaten through the petals. but I'm not a botanist Razz.

The wing position gives it away. When at rest butterflies fold their wings upward and together, while moths lay their wings flat down against whatever they are resting on.
Ghost900
I just learned something about butterfly's and moths Smile

Nice second batch of images, they are very good, some of the mushroom shots are great.

The finale photo of the toad is a great image as is the grasshopper and spider. I can't seem to take photos like that as any frog will flee from me Sad Too bad they don't know I just want a picture. Laughing

Great macro shots.
ocalhoun
Ghost900 wrote:

The finale photo of the toad is a great image as is the grasshopper and spider. I can't seem to take photos like that as any frog will flee from me Sad Too bad they don't know I just want a picture. Laughing

What I do is quickly put the camera right up next to them, focus, and shoot before they react. The shots often don't turn out because they are taken so fast, but I repeat the process many times to ensure that at least one of them turns out well. Also, I take the photos at maximum resolution, then crop them down to the subject, no not all of them are taken from as close as they seem to be.
Kashinilaya
Yeah, that's it... You are my favorite frihost photographer so far!