FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Covers

Futumuch
Most people say the original song is better than any cover version, and most of the time I agree. But some times the cover is the best, I'm thinking of Mrs Robinson by the Lemonheads as a good example. Also Metallicas version of Whisky in the Jar is better than Thin Lizzies. Any body got any more?

Another one is Sex pistols version of My Way?
xtranophilist
Some covers, I like no lesser than the originals.

1. Whiskey in the jar.
Cover : Metallica
Original : Thin Lizzy

2. Behind Blue Eyes
Cover : Limp Bizkit
Original : The Who

3. The Man Who Sold the World
Cover : Nirvana
Original David Bowie

4. I Shot the Sheriff
Cover : Eric Clapton
Original : Bob Marley

5. Anarchy in the U.K.
Cover : Megadeth
Original : Sex Pistols

6. Paranoid
Original : Black Sabbath

7. It's a Long Way to the Top If You Wanna Rock N' Roll
Cover : Motorhead
Original : AC/DC

8. The Final Countdown
Cover : Children of Bodom
Original : Europe

9. Aces high
Original : Iron Maiden
molif
there's also Love Song by The Cure.. but covered by 311, featured soundtrack in 50 first dates.. and of cos, i prefer 311 better than the Cure.. cos the cure's version sounds depressing.. 311's version is more sexy..
bissoboa
Quote:
xtranophilist
8. The Final Countdown
Original : Europe

this night I will listen to that and make myself an idea about the cover. At the moment I think trying to cover classic rocks like these must be difficult beacuse they have got a magical '80 fashion inside - can't be copyed.
Speaking about covers I would say also I dislike arabic/talebans songs containing the riff of supercar!
Instead I like very much bossanova and samba style remakes of varius songs (an example.. those made by music brokers if you know)
Futumuch
Quote:
3. The Man Who Sold the World
Cover : Nirvana
Original David Bowie

Forgot about that one, I like the original - but the cover is better. Also Guns n Roses version ofDead flowers is better than Rolling Stones (even though its live)[/quote]
bissoboa
Quote:
bissoboa I will listen to that and make myself an idea about the cover

infact.. unfortunately I saw the video... bleah!! Evil or Very Mad
Andrew426
xtranophilist wrote:
Some covers, I like no lesser than the originals.

1. Whiskey in the jar.
Cover : Metallica
Original : Thin Lizzy

5. Anarchy in the U.K.
Original : Sex Pistols

7. It's a Long Way to the Top If You Wanna Rock N' Roll
Cover : Motorhead
Original : AC/DC

I do have to argue with a few of these.

First of all, the thin lizzie version was also a cover - and is lacking two verses which actually give the song a whole new meaning (look up the Pogues & the doubliners version)

Second, changing "Anarchy in the UK" to "anarchy in the USA" is not only stupid, but degrades the original. Nevermind the bollocks - bollocks to megadeth.

Third; Why do motorhead insist on doing mediocre covers of popular rock songs? Do they think it will bring them back the success and notariety that tracks like ace of spades and overkill won them? An aging 3-piece can only do so much.

I worked as a stage hand on motorheads "Kiss of death" tour - so I have seen them both soundcheck and perform live a few times. Every song of theirs sounds the same.

I find the best covers are ones performed by your small pub covers bands. Normally songs that are pretty easy to play, and can be performed and mixed with little practivce so that it sounds exactly like (or better than) the original track.
bissoboa
Quote:
Andrew426I find the best covers are ones performed by your small pub covers bands. Normally songs that are pretty easy to play, and can be performed and mixed with little practivce so that it sounds exactly like (or better than) the original track.

I agree with you. In this case I also apprecciate the fidelity to the most characterizing original parts of the songs (the melody, some soloes, effects...), that details you well remember and link immediately to the song. If the band can to do this, then I think it is nice to trick and remake a new edition with a slightly different style! Wink
BigBangFan
These are about a draw....

Song: Roll Over Beethoven
Cover artist: The Beatles
Original artist: Chuck Berry

Song: Silhouettes
Cover: Herman's Hermits
Original: The Diamonds

Cover MUCH BETTER.......
Song: I Wanna Be Your Man
Cover: The Beatles
Original: The Rolling Stones
(This was the Stones' first single and is actually a Lennon/McCartney composition. The Stones did it first so technically The Beatles did the cover.)
Libby
Dolly Parton's cover of Stairway to Heaven is vastly superior to the original.
bissoboa
Libby, the Dolly Barton's is in my opinion a good cover. They put
Quote:
bissoboa
the fidelity to the most characterizing original parts of the songs (the melody, some soloes, effects...), that details you well remember and link immediately to the song

and also gave a nice country style. Being in agreement with this point, I continue to prefer the original Smile
Does someone likes the cover of Smoke on the water (Deep Purple) by Senior Coconut?! I do, I find it funny... interesting! especially for the bongos
schooldays
I wouldn't call Hendrix's cover of All Along The Watchtower better than Dylan's, but it's definitely equal. The Dylan original has a better mood, but the Hendrix cover is just incredible.

Quote:
Cover MUCH BETTER.......
Song: I Wanna Be Your Man
Cover: The Beatles
Original: The Rolling Stones
(This was the Stones' first single and is actually a Lennon/McCartney composition. The Stones did it first so technically The Beatles did the cover.)

Interesting. Although I'm a very big fan of The Beatles, and although I think they're a FAR, FAR better band than The Stones, I've always preferred the Stones version of that song. The Beatles 'cover' is very good though.
xtranophilist
Andrew426 wrote:

First of all, the thin lizzie version was also a cover - and is lacking two verses which actually give the song a whole new meaning (look up the Pogues & the doubliners version)

Sorry, I came to know that this is an irish folk song.
I read it somewhere else and in this topic and thought it was their original.

Quote:
Second, changing "Anarchy in the UK" to "anarchy in the USA" is not only stupid, but degrades the original. Nevermind the bollocks - bollocks to megadeth.

But I love listening to the one by MegaDeth.

Quote:
Third; Why do motorhead insist on doing mediocre covers of popular rock songs? Do they think it will bring them back the success and notariety that tracks like ace of spades and overkill won them? An aging 3-piece can only do so much.

Motörhead are legend. They performed it for the album Thunderbolt: A tribute to AC/DC.
They didnot cover it thinking it will bring them back to success.