FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ipod Classic have access to all video?

weableandbob
I was just making sure, before I buy mine, that the Ipod Classic (6th Generation) can play any video that's in mp4 format, without any issues with the resolution of the video, a video that was converted to .avi to .mp4, etc. I'm almost positive that it's fine, but just making sure.
Diablosblizz
You won't have any problems. If iTunes won't accept the file then download a .avi to .mp4 converter.
weableandbob
that's what I thought so. One last thing-will a converter change the resolution to the max 640X480 resolution if the original clip is too big? And also, will it change it to the ipod's maximum framerate of 30 fps if it's also too high?
kansloos
The Ipod Classic won't play every mp4 file, Mp4 is just an container, if the video inside the container isn't H.264, the Ipod can't view it. Although if you have video in any common format you can easily convert this with one the free converters around.

I found Jodix free Ipod converter to work just fine for me.
Diablosblizz
weableandbob wrote:
that's what I thought so. One last thing-will a converter change the resolution to the max 640X480 resolution if the original clip is too big? And also, will it change it to the ipod's maximum framerate of 30 fps if it's also too high?

If iTunes accepts the file, then the iPod will adjust it accordingly. The framerate is "capped" at 30 FPS for smooth video viewing. I love my iPod, although I can't wait until I buy a iPhone. Smile
weableandbob
ok, well, I have an ipod now, and everything works fine with the video
Diablosblizz
Glad that it worked out for you. Smile Enjoy your new iPod!
Jaan
tip: converting will downgrade the quality, unless you uncompress or figure out a really good codec... maybe try sorenson squeeze for good converter Sad
Diablosblizz
Yes, converting the video does make the quality very bad, but if you're watching the movie on the iPod then it's perfectly fine. Although if you do stream it from your iPod to your television then the quality won't be very good. But, if your like me and don't care then it's perfectly fine.