FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Twilight Saga

evathediva
I couldn't find a recent topic about twilight so I figured I'd make one! I love this Saga, it is absolutely amazing to me. The author gives vampires a whole new persona. She makes them almost believable. Breaking Dawn, the conclusion to this great series, has the most action and twists, the book is constantly moving through its 750 pages. These books have really inspired me to write, I'm on the watch for an idea for a story that will win the hearts of many, as the Twilight books have. I am working on my technique for writing and my creative writing teacher was very encouraging of me. I would like to know your opinions on these books. Did they make this fantasy almost a reality to you?
killerqueen
I've just finished reading Eclipse and I was like... Woah Shocked. Rocked. So much better than New moon. Yeah, it definitely made it a reality for me, I love the whole innuendo between Bella and Edward. Although, I'm quite against Jacob... Confused.
crimson_aria
I love the Twilight Saga except Breaking Dawn. I enjoyed some parts of that last book but overall, i was disappointed. My favorite of all four is Eclipse.
sondosia
I'll admit, these are the only vampire books I've ever allowed myself to pick up. And for good reason, because pretty much everything else in that genre is utter crap. But Stephanie Meyer did a great job here, creating many distinct characters and an interesting plotline.

I won't say she's one of the best writers I've ever read, because she's not. The quality of the writing itself is pretty good, but definitely not great. It's the story and the characters that make these books so good.
TurtleShell
I have heard enough about these books that I probably won't be reading them for some time. It seems like I know a lot of people who have read them and can't stop talking about them... sometimes those are the best, but I've also noticed that the first book just doesn't grab me. Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough but I have to say, they seem like they're lacking...quality.
georgeodowd
I also know a lot of people who can't seem to stop raving about the series, but no one them are... shall we say, literary snobs?
I simply cannot stand anything by Anne Rice, so I've been very wary of giving this series a try... Can anyone comment on how the two authors might compare?
ddukki
TurtleShell wrote:
I have heard enough about these books that I probably won't be reading them for some time. It seems like I know a lot of people who have read them and can't stop talking about them... sometimes those are the best, but I've also noticed that the first book just doesn't grab me. Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough but I have to say, they seem like they're lacking...quality.
These definitely aren't as vast in span and breadth as Harry Potter, but the character development is solid enough to where the books snag a casual reader's interest. I won't upset millions of fans by comparing the two any further, but these books aren't half bad for the target audience (young to late-teens).
Arthur3009
i odn't read it yet, but all i can see it is a GREAT, book, i'm crazy for read it, today i go to the mall to bought, but i forgot, have do save money to bought circus, but i will bought in this month.
tchaunt
I hate how everyone is part of this fandom. The only reason most people even read the book was because it was the thing to do. Sure, kids who have never read before in their life learned what it feels like to open a book, but that's the only role this saga served. I hated it. You'd be lucky if it was wrote on a low fifth grade reading level. The author contorted her so-called "vampires" into corner sluts. They are merely characters of fetish. They resemble vampires in only one way and that is their cravings for blood. I hardly see what's so amazing about the books. The plot is weak and very obvious. Where's the irony? No where. Where was the climax? I couldn't figure out. The books were way too dry. I was asleep through most of 'em. Why did Bella feel so connected to Edward? Because he was a contorted fetish character. The story was very basic. The little good that I saw in the series was choked out by heaps of bad. I don't get the point of liking something just because your friend likes it. It upsets me to no end (mainly because of one of my "friends" doing it right now).

Anyway, you have the right to your opinions. I have the right to mine. But I just respect mine more. XD I'm just joking. I will respect your opinion as much as I hope you will respect mine.
Arthur3009
i like it, but you know i prefer harry potter, i really don't know but it's like something more present in my life, i'm finishin' eclipse, because i live i Brazil, so the book came to my life a few days ago. But it's a good saga, i hope to read HP6 again, because the movie it's coming. You guys, should look for Marcelo Rubens Paiva, it's the BEST writter ever. But it's brazilian, so i don't know if you can get some of his book in english.
Sphaerenkern
I watched the movie first, so my expectations where easy to fulfill: "The book has to be better than the movie". Surprise, it is.
To the books itself - I'm reading the first book at the moment, so I can't really tell about climaxes and so on. Usually, I read books where a love story is included, not the main story itself, so I can't really judge the story. But because it's easy for me to change the perspective in which I imagine it (since I'm not homosexual, it's not very pleasant for me to think about being in love with guys), I enjoy reading Twilight.

By the way, is it just in my surroundings or is it usually seen as a book for girls? My female friends are both surprised and delighted by the fact that I read it.
tchaunt
The book is usually pegged as a girls' book. Personally, I think it is perfectly fine for boys to read it. In fact, I was the very first boy in my school to read the Twilight series. I actually read them a while back. Back when reading the books would get you called homosexual. (I don't want to sound rude to anyone reading this who is gay, but it is something that I personally do not want to be called) Now, every prep in my school (you know, the kids who are popular and obnoxious--the ones who think their crap is more important than you) is reading the series. It's the "cool" thing to do. It really rubs me the wrong way when things like that happen.
PennyLane
I saw the movie, and I still have to read a couple chapters in the first book... But I really love it. And it's not just a girl book like some people think! I don't even think it's a children's book...
j00gotpwnd
I have read the series, and they are pretty ok. The writing isn't really spectacular, although I do like the vegetarian vampire twist. I do hope she goes ahead and finishes writing Twilight from Edward's perspective... I am really glad that these books have inspired more young people to read. I feel like day by day we are becoming more and more illiterate (At least us Americans).
Sphaerenkern
j00gotpwnd wrote:
I am really glad that these books have inspired more young people to read. I feel like day by day we are becoming more and more illiterate (At least us Americans).

I didn't notice such an effect with the Twilight readers I know - some read from time to time, some read very much, but none of them didn't read at all before Twilight.
Anyway, it's a great thing if it motivates young people to read! When I talked about books with a friend, a class mate overheard our conversation and asked a bit puzzled: "you... read?" Very Happy I found that rather funny, but when this was the usual case, I'd consider it rather sad..
j00gotpwnd
I used to take books on road trips for our games. I got asked the same sort of questions. I knew people in high school that had never completed a book. Ever. It's really sad. When books such as Harry Potter, Twilight, etc. get younger people to read I really enjoy that. Once the seed is planted, normally it takes root and continues to grow! On that note, I wish I could afford a Kindle. Haha.
Parkour_Jarrod
evathediva wrote:
I couldn't find a recent topic about twilight so I figured I'd make one! I love this Saga, it is absolutely amazing to me. The author gives vampires a whole new persona. She makes them almost believable. Breaking Dawn, the conclusion to this great series, has the most action and twists, the book is constantly moving through its 750 pages. These books have really inspired me to write, I'm on the watch for an idea for a story that will win the hearts of many, as the Twilight books have. I am working on my technique for writing and my creative writing teacher was very encouraging of me. I would like to know your opinions on these books. Did they make this fantasy almost a reality to you?

i also found that it really is a inspiration to many people (mainly girls) because ive seen 5 people read the books in the group i sit with at school and they are all starting to write stories about there own fantasies (especially about being vampires and having "hot" vampire boyfriends like Edward) I was already a writer before i read the saga

i have 2 books that has never seen the light of day that Ive written and completed (and they never will see the light of day as they are testosterone driven sex fantasies of a 13-14 year old male mind)

Anywho Twilight was great series and portrayed each of their characters with great persona showing both the flaws and weaknesses, the main character Bella Swan showed the unease that some adolescent females have.

On the downside i found Edward to be an obnoxious jerk at times, it was always lying there under that silence and mannerisms. Also the love for Bella and Edward was more a lust powered relationship as was confirmed in Breaking Dawn in the ways Bella describes the sex scene and is always clutching for Edward forcing him to kiss her
Dean_The_Great
I don't understand this forum very much. I read some of the first book, and the writing is surprisingly awful. It is filled with sentences of bad grammar and syntax, and the ones that are actually written grammatically correct are so simple in their vocabulary it reads as though it was designed to be read at a fourth grade level.

I can't get involved in the story regardless of how good it may seem (and to me, the plot is also weak) because the actual writing and writing style is not very good at all.
missdixy
Seriously, I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody with even a remotely good taste in literature could ever read this -- much less like it. I tried reading the first book, only got about halfway through before I just HAD to put it down. The content isn't original at all and the story is badly-written. I'd take Anne Rice's vampire chronicles any day over any of the books in the Twilight series...
Sphaerenkern
I have to add that I didn't read it in English. I heard some people who read it and compared it to the german translation say that the english one isn't that well-written at all.
About the good taste of literature, let me quote Terry Pratchett:
Quote:
Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.
(taken from his book "Soul Music)
jessicawalker
I borrowed the first Twilight book from my cousin and am about 30 pages in and I CAN'T get into it. The writing seems so... Generic? It doesn't flow. There's a lot of really odd wording choices and whatnot. I don't know.
Noremac
Are they worth being read by a guy?
Because it seems to me like the only people I've known to read the series are young women, I've had one say "Cameron, your like my Edward Cullen"

Seems like they just appeal to the love sense, idk.
Sphaerenkern
Noremac wrote:

"Cameron, your like my Edward Cullen"

wow that's nerdy Razz

Noremac wrote:

It's a love story. Futher questions? Very Happy
Noremac
Sphaerenkern wrote:
Noremac wrote:

"Cameron, your like my Edward Cullen"

wow that's nerdy Razz

Noremac wrote:

It's a love story. Futher questions? Very Happy

Lol that's all I needed to hear. I'm all about love, just don't find it interesting to read about. Thanks.
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
Seriously, I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody with even a remotely good taste in literature could ever read this -- much less like it. I tried reading the first book, only got about halfway through before I just HAD to put it down. The content isn't original at all and the story is badly-written. I'd take Anne Rice's vampire chronicles any day over any of the books in the Twilight series...

Absolutely agreed. Perhaps I can force myself to look at a good vampire movie, with a twist or sense of humour to it, but to read this stuff, boggles the mind Smile
jessicawalker
So I started reading Twilight again, due to EXTREME boredom. And it's sucking me in! Help me, people! I'm in love with Edward Cullen! I didn't want this to happen and I fought it. Oh how I fought it. It's so romantic, though. The snob in me didn't want to fall prey to this "fad", but the hopeless romantic in me has succumbed. However, don't disregard my previous post. I will now and always stand by my initial reaction that this is not quality literature. haha.
TurtleShell
jessicawalker wrote:
I will now and always stand by my initial reaction that this is not quality literature. haha.

Yep, it's absolute trash:) I read the first...no, I read the second one. I saw the movie then decided to read the second book. It's utter crap. I was, I am still, offended by Bella's status as the ultimate victim. She's such a weakling! I could smack her! But I read the second book, and I hated it while I enjoyed it. Most of the characters were intolerable, but I loved complaining about it even more than I loved reading it. Oh well.

I recently took a trip to the Yucatan and ended up bringing my book of poetry by Catallus and a book about polytheism vs monotheism, but I almost brought the third book in the twilight series. I probably would have brought it with me, too, except it was hardcover and I didn't want to drag that around Mexico for 8 days.
loyal
evathediva wrote:

Peace.

I liked the series with the exception of book 2. Book 2 sucked. Nothing happened in it except bella moping and feeling sorry for herself right until the end.
I felt that book 1 was slightly disturbing in the way it portrayed love. Book 1 showed that bella seemed to more in love with him simply because of his vampire physical properties (which he demonstrated when he showed himself to Bella in direct sunlight), than out of any personality. He's like a drug to her and i found it disturbing in the way, she literally couldn't live life without him (book 2) and that her entire life must revolve around him. It more an obsession, an infatuation than love, which was initially created by his vampire abilities.
What do you guys think? Agree or disagree?

However, I still enjoyed reading the series and particularly enjoyed the intellectual battle at the end of book 4.

Thanks,
TurtleShell
loyal wrote:

Peace.

I liked the series with the exception of book 2. Book 2 sucked. Nothing happened in it except bella moping and feeling sorry for herself right until the end.
I felt that book 1 was slightly disturbing in the way it portrayed love. Book 1 showed that bella seemed to more in love with him simply because of his vampire physical properties (which he demonstrated when he showed himself to Bella in direct sunlight), than out of any personality. He's like a drug to her and i found it disturbing in the way, she literally couldn't live life without him (book 2) and that her entire life must revolve around him. It more an obsession, an infatuation than love, which was initially created by his vampire abilities.
What do you guys think? Agree or disagree?

However, I still enjoyed reading the series and particularly enjoyed the intellectual battle at the end of book 4.

Thanks,

Uh, yah. Bella's the worst heroin ever, Edward is a sexist jackass (am I allowed to post that word?) and they have a codependent and unhealthy relationship. Now, I haven't actually read the last two books. Not sure if I will...but I've spoken to people who have read it, and it doesn't sound like that part improves very much.

I think I've said it before, maybe in other forums, maybe in this one: I wish a better author had decided to write these books. Stephanie Meyers stumbled on a fun idea, but her execution was lacking. She could have made Bella cool. She could have made Edward the kind of guy that you'd want to fall in love with (and I don't get the hordes of teenage girls who think he's some hottie). And, she could have just written it better.
dawndibear
I borrowed this series from my kids (both of my teen sons have read and enjoyed the series) and found the books easy to read and get immersed in. I wasn't expecting a great story, but it was definitely readable (and re-readable).
One pleasant surprise for me was the theme of abstinence until marriage. I applaud the author for including it in her series. Also for having Bella get pregnant in one shot, so to speak. As this series is mostly read by teen girls, I'm thrilled to have that issue addressed. I also like the way she has Edward behave toward Bella when it comes to her fragility. Young women need to have more examples of men treating women gently, and showing protectiveness.
The "vegetarian vampire" theme is a good way to suggest that people can overcome their baser desires to become better people.
TurtleShell
dawndibear wrote:

One pleasant surprise for me was the theme of abstinence until marriage. I applaud the author for including it in her series. Also for having Bella get pregnant in one shot, so to speak. As this series is mostly read by teen girls, I'm thrilled to have that issue addressed. I also like the way she has Edward behave toward Bella when it comes to her fragility. Young women need to have more examples of men treating women gently, and showing protectiveness.
The "vegetarian vampire" theme is a good way to suggest that people can overcome their baser desires to become better people.

Interesting. I was really bothered by the way Edward treats Bella as if she is a child. And, I was bothered by Bella's behavior. She strikes me as a poor heroine and a poor example for young women, because she's so tragic and victimized. I see very little strength in her character. I suppose that young women, like all people, have fragility in them, but they should learn to nurture and rely on their strength. I don't think they should seek out men who will treat them like a child wife, but men who will be respectful, loving and considerate. It's different.
kutekitten
Writing a book is extremely tough, you have to literally have a thesaurus constantly with you, you have to have quite a few people edit it and so on. The most tough part with this (in my opinion) is the choice of audience for a book. The twilight series is most definitely written for teenage girls (no offense to any boys who've read or are reading the series, it's from Bella's point of view, not Edward's, and as I'm not a boy, I can't say whether or not boys would enjoy this particular series) and as most people know, teenage girls have a huge overabundance of hormones, and Bella's attraction to Edward is shared by most of the teenage girl community. Twilight probably isn't the best written, and could have doubtlessly been written a different way, to have a grater audience, but it was written in a way that has captured the minds of a million readers, and I think it takes a lot of skill to start a new fad.
On a totally different note, I don't like fads, but I won't think of a book differently just because of that, I was halfway through the series when my school was infected with twilight, I probably would have been done before that, but I had to finish one of the Terry Pratchett books I was reading Wink. I enjoyed the twilight series, and finished it within a week (I'm a pretty quick reader) I can't say that it totally changed my life, or that it's my favourite series, but it was pretty good, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Thanks for taking the time to read through all this, and if you have an opinion on my post, please say so Smile
Fooky
georgeodowd wrote:
I also know a lot of people who can't seem to stop raving about the series, but no one them are... shall we say, literary snobs?
I simply cannot stand anything by Anne Rice, so I've been very wary of giving this series a try... Can anyone comment on how the two authors might compare?

I got everything Anne Rice ever wrote. Lol, I was asked to write reviews, but things didn't work out (I got a better job). I should sell 'em on eBay! Make me an offer!