FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's your favourite plant?

tony
In response to the favourite animal post, here is the 'what is your favourite plant?' post.

I am going to go with the oak tree. It is tall, it is large and so strong.

Edited by tidruG: I edited the title. Please don't make your titles too abstract, they're annoying.
ocalhoun
Any large, old tree. They have a depth and a mystery to them, as well as the strength you mention.
airh3ad
I have a plant grown in my yard…i need to know what is the name of it and how it is to be use…description was long leaves, has a seed shaped like a lantern, flowers pistil sticks up color white and pink on top…petals are white…once it opens up early morning it will fall down on the ground.
I like also the medicinal plant like ABANG-ABANG.
Abang-abang its very common in thickets and secondary forests at low and medium altitudes throughout the Philippines. It also occurs in Formosa, the Caroline Islands and Yap.my mother said this is a smooth or nearly smooth shrub or small tree 3 to 6 meters in height. The leaves are three to four times pinnately compound and 50 to 80 centimeters long. hope medicinal plant shoul be implement in our law to push it as important plant in the world.
Wuppie
I have seen the biggest sequoia's in the world when I went to the US, and those trees are absolutely amazing.
wellerchap
Sunflowers always make me smile...I guesss they'd be my favourire plant.
kerryworkman
I think my favorite is the venus fly trap. Any plant that can eat animals is cool in my book.
Nehallyn
Lol. Whats the one that looks like a jug and eats small animals? I want one of those.

Besides that, I would say the willow. I'm not sure why.
tidruG
Nehallyn wrote:
Lol. Whats the one that looks like a jug and eats small animals? I want one of those.

That would be the Pitcher Plant.

I don't have a particular favourite plant. I like them all. Some of them are tasty to eat too!
weselldonkeys
My favorite plant is marijuana plant. No, I don't smoke, not anymore. It is my favorite plant simply because I like the way it looks, and the smell of it. Other than that, I really don't care about particular plants. It;s not that I don;t care about the environment, Nature is awesome so is fresh oxygen, but I don't see a point to having a favorite plant.
Wuppie
weselldonkeys wrote:
My favorite plant is marijuana plant. No, I don't smoke, not anymore. It is my favorite plant simply because I like the way it looks, and the smell of it. Other than that, I really don't care about particular plants. It;s not that I don;t care about the environment, Nature is awesome so is fresh oxygen, but I don't see a point to having a favorite plant.

Why didn't I come up with that d'oh!
friuser
I don't really have a back yard so my favorite plants are houseplants. Specifically orchids which are beautiful and elegant. I like peace lillies to clean up the air. Porthos are among the easiest to grow and propagate. I also adore the snake plant, mother in law's tongue as they very hardy and you can make several plants from one long leaf by cutting them into 4 inch pieces.

I was thinking of growing a tomato plant in some hydroton but it may be too late in the season but they are my favorite vegetable plants. I'm not too into flowering plants cause i'm in the city and they attract too many pests and can cause allergies. Bromeliads are also wonderful indoors to bring some color.
codyb113
Yeah...Sun flowers are very nice :0
I'm also a fan of bigger trees
kristine
codyb113 wrote:
Yeah...Sun flowers are very nice :0
I'm also a fan of bigger trees

i love sun flowers too Very Happy
Crinoid
Currently powder puff tree, Albizia julibrissin. I have two kinds now, with pink and with red flowers, so the usual name a "pink powder puff tree" is not applicable, I guess.
xaogo
any fruiting tree. I love the blossoms in the spring and the fruit in the summer. Though the leaves in the fall can be a tad annoying.
AlcatrazAgony
Well, I think roses are the best. I'm not sure if there plants though. rofl! Laughing
standready
Don't really have a favorite plant, like most except poison ivy. Enjoy watching the humming birds, butterflies and bees enjoying the flowers.
AlcatrazAgony
Same here, I love humming birds. Very Happy
chatrack
Trees are essential for man kind. You can live in an isoloated island if there is plenty of COCONUT TREEs

i like coconut tree - since it is our national tree
Arty
Ummmmmmmm Idea Cabbage. Very Happy
sulavaryal
nuclear plant lol
peepal anyone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_fig
tony
wellerchap wrote:
Sunflowers always make me smile...I guesss they'd be my favourire plant.

Good call; sunflowers are sweet!!

A mesage to all of you; thanks so much for replying so readily to this post! I did not know it would become such a popular topic!!
loonix
Venus fly traps are wonderful. Something magical about a plant eating insects =)
vineeth
I like coconut trees of Kerala State, South India.

Here people all parts of this tree for various purposes.

1. They use the water inside the coconut as a natural health drink which restores electrolyte balance and provides quality carbohydrates.

2.The fruit also tastes sweet and is a good source of nutrients.

3. If dried, the coconut can be used to produce coconut oil.

4. Its hard shell is used as firewood of high burning potential.

5. The outre covering of the coconut is used to produce coir and coir products.

6. The wood of the tree is used for making wooden support for making roof tops.

7. The wood is used in construction works in wet lands as an underground a support.

8. Its leaves are used for making root tops and many other useful articles.

9. Its roots have medicinal values.

10. Toddy is produced from coconut tree.
Starflier
I like Dandelions, they're easy to grow, and almost any North American ailment can be solved in part by eating them...

I've also got these pepper plants in my room. They have the nicest, shiny, dark green leaves...

Oooh! Moss! I love moss! I'm SO going to have a moss lawn someday. I've got this one kind of moss in a plant pot that looks like little pine trees, except it's moss...
Drawingguy
Hahaha, if we're going to go for nonvascular plants, then yeah, of course moss. Not the like, scummy, flat kind that grows on moist siding, though...The kind that grows in shady areas, that's like, thick and fuzzy Cool. I actually look for the moss in my backyard, and where ever I find it, I make sure it gets watered, and if whatever that happens to be shading it gets removed, I'll move the moss to a safe, shady place. Moss is my homeboy

But for the vascular plants, idk...the saman tree, probably. It's huge, and has the most comforting, organically elegant shape, in it's umbrella-like shape...at least in my opinion Razz
PatTheGreat42
I like, er... flowers.

Flowers are pretty. And plants. That counts.
TurtleShell
the jade plant.
lfg4ever
I would go for the baobab tree. It's really slow growing which means it's strong! Quick growers seem to be brittle and when you are in them and they break, it's not so fun!
TurtleShell
lfg4ever wrote:
I would go for the baobab tree. It's really slow growing which means it's strong! Quick growers seem to be brittle and when you are in them and they break, it's not so fun!

I just looked this up--the pictures I found online are amazing! I would like to see one in person.
lfg4ever
You better come to South Africa for that!
TurtleShell
lfg4ever wrote:
You better come to South Africa for that!

yeah I thought so. Well I do like to travel, so hopefully that will happen someday.
lfg4ever
Just if you are wondering what is here, well its not just bush. Very Happy
Helios
Quote:
What's your favourite plant?

Robert Plant Very Happy

Seriously though, I love nature and I really can't choose a favorite plant...
Maybe the birch tree, which I grew up with but they aren't growing in my current country.
georgeodowd
I can't pick just one! I'd have to go with rafflesia, and most types of ivy, I guess. I've always wanted some sort of structure just so I could cover it with ivy. And maybe plant rafflesia at the base to keep people out. Smile
lfg4ever
I've noticed a really amazing tree. Covered in really cool bright yellow flowers, hardly any leaves, and found in South Africa. Dono wat the name is. Anyone got a clue? Will try get a pic sometime.
psycosquirrel
I like Aloe. It's awesome, because I burn myself all the time...

I also love palm trees and coconut trees. Palmettos are awesome too.
Zombie
my favorite plant is the bonsai... my sister got me one for my birthday and ive been hooked ever since
lfg4ever
Interesting plant!
ptfrances
I love bonsai, although a lot of them have a very short life... Confused
psycosquirrel
Aren't bonzai trees just pine trees that have been forced to grow in strange ways?

The reason they don't live very long is that they are usually confined to far too small of an area of soil to properly support the root system. The tree grows itself to death.
Dbarkol
I like all green plants Wink
lfg4ever
Quote:
Aren't bonzai trees just pine trees that have been forced to grow in strange ways?

Well this is what WordWeb says:
"A dwarfed ornamental tree or shrub grown in a tray or shallow pot"
Subaru
Hmmm let's see...3 types of favourite plant Very Happy
To give - red rose
In game - Geographer (it looks like Sunflower Very Happy)
General - I like trees, especially palms because of good connection to Hawai Twisted Evil
lfg4ever
How about a protea?
bonestorm74
I've got a really nice plant (should have taken a photo to show it off). I think it's a bromiliad with pink 'arms', out of which grow purple flowers. Although it doesn't happen often, it's very beautiful when it does.
Melacos
No doubt that my favorites would be various types of cacti... After some trips to Mexico and the southwest of US, I've built up some kind of romantization towards everything that has to do with deserts...
And also, cacti seem to be the only kind of plant, I'm able to make survive.. (Sorry all you other ones from the past... Hope you found peace...Smile
kody
Cherry trees... not the ornamental ones, the real deal that you can hang out in all day eating cherries until the "trotskies" make you have to leave... Wink
kevbailey
African violets when they are in bloom. The chocolate soldier is nice when it gets just enough sun because it's leaves get really big and it actually looks really nice. African violets are a lot easier to clone, though... Rolling Eyes
beauty
My favorite plant is Bonsai.

Bonsai (Japanese: 盆栽, Chinese: 盆栽, literally "potted plant") is the art of aesthetic miniaturization of trees by growing them in containers. Cultivation includes techniques for shaping, watering, and repotting in various styles of containers.

Originating in China during the Han Dynasty, 'bonsai' is a Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese word penzai (盆栽). The word bonsai is used in the West as an umbrella term for all miniature trees in containers or pots. Sourcehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonsai
XsmashX
Plastic plants are my number one Very Happy

They don't need water (no additional work)
Smile
They always look beautiful Rolling Eyes

Exotic plants in winter

and so on... Very Happy
PatTheGreat42
I like the plants I can eat. Some of them are yummy. Yay yummy!
Pantherus
I agree with the cacti comment i have too and are the only things I have ever kept alive sorry all you other plants in plant heaven and my ex goldfish.

I do like Orchids there are so many lovely varieties but hate the fact they live for like a week and then die horribly well all mine do Sad((((
Wolf1918
My favorite indoor type plant is called a Spider Plant. I'm not sure what the "official" name for it is. But I like them because they are easy to take care of and don't require a lot off attention. They are also great for helping to clean and filter indoor air. They are very attractive with long narrow leaves. "Baby" Spider plants grow at the end of stems that come from the parent plant and you can just pluck them off and plant them to get new plants. They grow pretty quickly. I like to keep mine in hanging baskets in my windows, up where my cats can't reach them. But then, on the other hand, unlike many houseplants, Spider plants are totally non-toxic, so if one of my cats, or my bird, did manage to munch on some of the leaves it wouldn't hurt them. I also like cactus plants a lot, they can defend themselves from the cats. And usually one sticker in the nose is enough to teach them to stay away.

Outdoor plants, I have several that I like a lot; Sunflowers, Morning Glories, and anything that attracts hummingbirds and butterflies.

Trees, my vote goes to the Scarlet Maple. We had them by the dozens on the farm when I was a kid and I still love them 50 years later.

Chad
sulavaryal
i would go for money plant or dollar plant Laughing
jmlworld
My favorite tree is Acacia. That kind of tree is impressive and I like its thorns and smelling leaves when I'm sleeping under it in a sunny holiday. Razz
miacps
It's too hard to pick just one favorite plant. Any plants with strange/beautiful adaptations get my vote (carnivorous plants/ant plants/sensitive plant).

weselldonkeys wrote:
My favorite plant is marijuana plant. No, I don't smoke, not anymore. It is my favorite plant simply because I like the way it looks, and the smell of it.

Thats a good one! They really are beautiful and fragrant plants. It's such a shame the government thinks they have the right to tell us what we can and cannot grow.

Control mongers.
darkeagle
I am agriculture engineer and I hate plants Confused
Zombie
My favorite plant is the bonsai tree. I actually have one that I should plant soon. Anyway, I also love the blueberry bush, that's second on my list. Why? Because fresh blueberries are delicious!
watersoul
Ooh, Mine is the Oak tree as well!! They're such slow growers, when they reach maturity they create a mini ecosystem for lots of other life (insects,spiders,birds,squirrel's,foxes etc) and imagine what a really old one could tell you if it could re-live all the changes it has seen around it?!

I have a 7 year old oak I grew from an acorn, still in a pot, waiting for the day I have some land I can plant him in, I had another (the same age) which I'd bonsai 'd at the age of 2, but some horrible person stole it from my garden Sad

A couple of years ago I planted about 150 acorns with my little boy and when they were 18 month old saplings, we did a mission planting them in the hedgerows around our area and with any luck a few will survive and outlive us, who knows?! Smile
torboxz
Tiger Orchids for me!
I got one from my brother in law. He said that he got it from his friend in Burma.
I don't know if this is correct, so the orchid that I have is the Burmese Tiger Orchid?
I don't feel like googling for it. The orchids are so pretty.