FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why not to make easier

felipe3ds
Just a suggestion .. may be this can be a useless.. or not SOOOO usefull to many...
but... you could disponibilize the JOOMLA for each user... i mean...
There are a lot of persons are uploading the JOOMLA system for their websites...
then... would be cool if have already in there... not THERE ... but a link.. to choose
"Put JOOMLA system click here" .... everybody says is the best Open Source system for website.
this is not a advertise... tnks! Smile its all.
who read.. plz comment to say if you would like to have this option!
Ratmaster
I am not for this because not a lot of people would use it. It is like favoring a specific type of software, which isn't fair to others.

As well
Bondings wrote:
18) The addition of an 'Auto-installer' on Direct Admin
rvec
also most people don't want joomla. And not only because it's not the best cms (that's drupal Cool ) but also because most users are just starting with html or php and don't want to use a cms at all.
felipe3ds
but is like an option... not needed to use it.. i guess no one will be injuried cause he have an option wich dont use... if isnt his favorite software.. dont click there... but it is.. then just click and dont flood (?? (my poor english)) uploading a lot of files! Smile forget it Smile thnks for the answers!
rvec
true, but then you'd have to add the option for all the other much used programs....
I think I know a way to do this with a simple php script....
If I add all the programs from http://opensourcecms.com/ I think it would be complete enough.

*starts writing*
ocalhoun
Is using the install scripts that come with various software packages really that hard? If you can't even do that much, how are you going to modify the package to suit you, and how are you going to fix anything that goes wrong? If you can't even run an install script (that probably comes with detailed instructions), do you really have any business trying to run a website?

If nothing else, I'm sure there are people in the marketplace who will install nearly anything for you for a very small amount of frih$.
rvec
if you can download it directly with the server instead of downloading it from the website to your pc, and then uploading it it would save some time (especially 56k users), and bandwidth for those with limited bandwidth.

I also made an ftp script to transfer files(or a complete site) from one server to another over ftp. With the same idea, users won't have to download anything to transfer stuff. This script will become public in a couple of days, I am just waiting for the html and css to be done (I suck at design).

Nothing I am going to write will do anything like an installer does. Users don't all want the same setup, so they should do that themselves. I just make it easier to put the files on the server.
ftv_flung
rvec wrote:
if you can download it directly with the server instead of downloading it from the website to your pc, and then uploading it it would save some time (especially 56k users)

sounds like a good idea - but how many 56k users are there on the net these days anyway???!!

I like the idea of your script btw rvec!
rvec
script is a bit harder as I thought. I thought there was a function to unpack gzip with ftp, but that doesn't really work with more than one file in the gzip file. Maybe I'll just make it download the gzip file and the user will have to use directadmin or cpanel to unpack the file.
sonam
Joomla??! Why anyone need to dowload Joomla and then upload on the server. I don't know for DA but in CPanel I have Fantastico and there is in "Content management" link for instaling Joomla (and 10 other content managements) directly in my account.

Sonam
mathiaus
I hate suggestions from people who aren't even hosted.

-close-
rvec
sonam wrote:
Joomla??! Why anyone need to dowload Joomla and then upload on the server. I don't know for DA but in CPanel I have Fantastico and there is in "Content management" link for instaling Joomla (and 10 other content managements) directly in my account.

Sonam

It's not possible in DA, that's why it might be useful there.
Also I can't figure out how to easily unpack a .gz file in a small php script (I could do it in a bigger one though).

For those who want to download a .gz file directly to the server (and unpack it with DA) you can use this php script (don't forget to chmod 777 the dir it is in).
Code:
<?php
$url = "http://ftp.drupal.org/files/projects/drupal-6.3.tar.gz";//change this to the url you want to download (can be any file, but if it's too big or takes too long you will get an error)

$url_ar = explode("/", $url);
$filename = $url_ar[count($url_ar)-1];
if (file_exists($filename) && !is_writable($filename)) {
   die('please make this directory writable, or at least '. $filename. ' in this directory so I can save the download.');
} elseif (is_writable('./') && file_exists($filename)) {
   die('please make this directory writable, or at least '. $filename. ' in this directory so I can save the download.');
}

$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
$file = curl_e xec($ch);
curl_close($ch);

$fp = fopen($filename, 'w');
fwrite($fp, $file);
fclo se($fp); //remove the space here and make it fclose

echo 'saved '. $url .' to '. $filename;
?>

save that as a .php file and open it with a browser. And don't forget to edit the fclose part.