FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do i extend lan to beyond 100 meter limit?

sulavaryal
i am new to networking please give me clue about what i should be buying.Someone suggested putting a switch at 100th meter would it work? Question
badai
yes, it will work.
sulavaryal
thanks bro then switch it is.I shall buy one.Is there any particular feature in a switch which i must have before buying it?
badai
since this switch will act as repeater only, go get the cheapest one.
brokenadvice
I would suggest putting the switch near the center of the cable for the least signal drop.
ocalhoun
sulavaryal wrote:
i am new to networking please give me clue about what i should be buying.Someone suggested putting a switch at 100th meter would it work? Question

Yes, a switch will work, but you could also use a (cheaper) hub, or a purpose-built repeater.
Depending on what it connects to at the other ends, you may have to use a cross-over adapter or cable.
(You need to use one of those for switch to switch (hub-to-hub and switch-to-hub) connections, unless one of the switches or hubs has a port especially for 'up link' or something like that.)

Don't worry; it isn't nearly as complicated as it sounds!

Depending on what your purposes are, you also might want to consider doing the long cable run with some other type of cable with longer max distances, or long range wireless.
ganesh
Thanks, guys!

I am a networking noob too, and this thread really helped me with a similar sort of situation that I am facing!